Isn't Sony BDV-3100 at Rs.28000 a VFM HTIB?

Donivlapog

I was hoping to get some inputs from those who own one or have auditioned it or know about its sound output quality. Will it be distorted or it is good for the claimed 1000 watts. My present Sony HTRT3 is on its brink of collapse as often the rear speakers do not provide surround effects plus has been repaired twice in its warranty period and now it is out of warranty and if it gets broken down I am thinking of going for either a Sony BDV-3100 or spend on a Denon 1600 + sub + good speakers, a real deal 1.5 lakhs expenditure which I had procrastinated for a while now as a family man with frugal instincts. Will the BDV 3100 turn out to be a damp squib too? Is it time for the read deal?

Ofcourse I have money saved for more expensive home theater set up too but I am inclined towards spending on BD movie collection too. Maybe like 300 more such original discs, currently i own 80.

Last edited:
I was hoping to get some inputs from those who own one or have auditioned it or know about its sound output quality. Will it be distorted or it is good for the claimed 1000 watts. My present Sony HTRT3 is on its brink of collapse as often the rear speakers do not provide surround effects plus has been repaired twice in its warranty period and now it is out of warranty and if it gets broken down I am thinking of going for either a Sony BDV-3100 or spend on a Denon 1600 + sub + good speakers, a real deal 1.5 lakhs expenditure which I had procrastinated for a while now as a family man with frugal instincts. Will the BDV 3100 turn out to be a damp squid too? Is it time for the read deal?

Hi,

In my personal experience and what I have seen with a few friends / relatives, such compact systems from Sony/Philips/LG etc are HTiBs (Home Theatre in a Box). The models keep getting updated and in most cases if the board goes bad, spares are not available.

It may make sense to go in for the real deal...you should audition where possible to understand the difference between a HTiB and a proper setup. Based on brand / models, you can do your mix and match and then take a call based on budget.

If budget is very tight (for most of us family oriented ones), if you are ok, you should look at the pre owned market where you can get good AVRs and speakers. First start with basic 5.1 AVR and satellite speakers (if you are able to get decent bookshelf speakers nothing like it!).

Read threads under what should I buy / Home Theatre and you will see how most of our FMs got their systems. There are also numerous videos over Youtube which can guide you before making any definite purchases.

Take your time and dont rush. Make a list of which brands / models attract your attention and share...other FMs will obviously read your post and try to guide further.

All the best!

Hi,

In my personal experience and what I have seen with a few friends / relatives, such compact systems from Sony/Philips/LG etc are HTiBs (Home Theatre in a Box). The models keep getting updated and in most cases if the board goes bad, spares are not available.

It may make sense to go in for the real deal...you should audition where possible to understand the difference between a HTiB and a proper setup. Based on brand / models, you can do your mix and match and then take a call based on budget.

If budget is very tight (for most of us family oriented ones), if you are ok, you should look at the pre owned market where you can get good AVRs and speakers. First start with basic 5.1 AVR and satellite speakers (if you are able to get decent bookshelf speakers nothing like it!).

Read threads under what should I buy / Home Theatre and you will see how most of our FMs got their systems. There are also numerous videos over Youtube which can guide you before making any definite purchases.

Take your time and dont rush. Make a list of which brands / models attract your attention and share...other FMs will obviously read your post and try to guide further.

All the best!
Believe me, Love4sound had given me a few vendor names and I visited some of them and auditioned. Which is why I have an itch for the real deal. But some of the vendors confuse me by saying anything less than 2.25 lakhs is not going to help and I don't want that kind of expenditure for HT alone. Maybe HT plus BD discs = 2.25-3.00 is okay. And I buy BD discs from Amazon or Flipkart when they are on sale. Like sub 1000 rupees and I don't practice piracy by playing network hard drive content downloading from internet.None of the vendors are even showing interest when I ask them to set up something for 1.5 lakhs plus I don't want to cramp my room either. Gosh.... So many things to consider to get gratifying sound and music.

If you are open to Indian brands, Sonodyne offers good vfm and you can have a decent setup within 100k.

You can add a receiver as per your convenience.

If you take the Soundbar/HTiB (Yamaha HTR at least) route, go with this. It's a good soundbar and can easily rival an entry-level AVR setup.

If you take the Soundbar/HTiB (Yamaha HTR at least) route, go with this. It's a good soundbar and can easily rival an entry-level AVR setup.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was about to freeze the following entry level gear a few days ago from the JBL universe.

https://avshack.in/products/jbl-sta...eatre-bundle-pack?_pos=1&_sid=e879cb7f7&_ss=r

Better to go for its soundbar 5.1 or 9.1?

I bought a JBL soundbar for my in-laws as the audio on their old TV was poor.

The bar failed after a year - just outside warranty.
Couldnt find anyone who would repair. Had to scrap it.

I bought a JBL soundbar for my in-laws as the audio on their old TV was poor.

The bar failed after a year - just outside warranty.
Couldnt find anyone who would repair. Had to scrap it.
What if an AVR gets repaired post warranty if someone installs a real home theater instead of soundbars and HTIBs? Speakers are robust and so I don't have to worry anyways.

What if an AVR gets repaired post warranty if someone installs a real home theater instead of soundbars and HTIBs? Speakers are robust and so I don't have to worry anyways.
Decoupling is the Game here. If AVR breaks down, you still got the speakers, and that's why a discrete 5.1 system is always advisable (under standard conditions). But these are desperate times; with AVR prices skyrocketing, buyers are forced to look into other ventures. BTW, did you look at the X3600H sale in the Classified section?

Decoupling is the Game here. If AVR breaks down, you still got the speakers, and that's why a discrete 5.1 system is always advisable (under standard conditions). But these are desperate times; with AVR prices skyrocketing, buyers are forced to look into other ventures. BTW, did you look at the X3600H sale in the Classified section?
I prefer only local offers wrt pre owned market as I can see the condition myself in person. I was approached by the seller and I wished him all the best.

I prefer only local offers wrt pre owned market as I can see the condition myself in person. I was approached by the seller and I wished him all the best.
Yeah, you are right; the seller was not local. There was another sale for Polk speakers. Did you talk to him?

Yeah, you are right; the seller was not local. There was another sale for Polk speakers. Did you talk to him?
When my RT3 gets repaired yet again, I would be forced to explore an option and I would approach local sellers. But right now I am adjusting with it.

Believe me, Love4sound had given me a few vendor names and I visited some of them and auditioned. Which is why I have an itch for the real deal. But some of the vendors confuse me by saying anything less than 2.25 lakhs is not going to help and I don't want that kind of expenditure for HT alone. Maybe HT plus BD discs = 2.25-3.00 is okay. And I buy BD discs from Amazon or Flipkart when they are on sale. Like sub 1000 rupees and I don't practice piracy by playing network hard drive content downloading from internet.None of the vendors are even showing interest when I ask them to set up something for 1.5 lakhs plus I don't want to cramp my room either. Gosh.... So many things to consider to get gratifying sound and music.

Contact Mohsin (Director) from Audiomart.in He will provide you some options within 1.5 lakhs.

Mobile: 9920211112 [email protected] https://audiomart.in/

I believe some Republic Day offers maybe on till 31st Jan 2022.

Give my reference (Eddie). He will possible share some options with reasonable rates and if it works, go ahead.

Here is a good system...if you have someone in Bengaluru to check, good for you....should bargain....Definitive Technology pair well with Marantz....this is one good setup!

Thanks for your recommendations, I will check them out in short order. These are excellent suggestions and i appreciate your time, although I feel we are deviating from my initial question after being hijacked into other related topics. A blue ray player with pmpo of 1000 watts for Rs. 28000 looks like a good bargain. I so far got inputs that if the motherboard malfunctions I would have to scrap it. Here there are no big amplifiers - only a blue ray disc player plus some cheap speakers that might have a lesser than desirable frequency response due to its miniature built in amp. (It is not an AVR level robust built in amp).
Something even inferior to the Sony IV300 which is driven by an amp that is compatible only to that product but nevertheless a dedicated amp.

So am I right in assuming that this product will distort and may not give the desired HT surround effect?

Thanks for your recommendations, I will check them out in short order. These are excellent suggestions and i appreciate your time, although I feel we are deviating from my initial question after being hijacked into other related topics. A blue ray player with pmpo of 1000 watts for Rs. 28000 looks like a good bargain. I so far got inputs that if the motherboard malfunctions I would have to scrap it. Here there are no big amplifiers - only a blue ray disc player plus some cheap speakers that might have a lesser than desirable frequency response due to its miniature built in amp. (It is not an AVR level robust built in amp).
Something even inferior to the Sony IV300 which is driven by an amp that is compatible only to that product but nevertheless a dedicated amp.

So am I right in assuming that this product will distort and may not give the desired HT surround effect?

In short all i can say that everyone has their own taste and budget. Some like simple systems while some of us want the real deal and build our systems over the years with upgrades etc.

The System what you are suggesting may satisfy your requirement and it would be well within your budget. No system in existence is future proof and will last as long as it is used well until another upgraded version will come and over ride it.

The compact entry level HTiBs you are referring to do not really give you the actual 5.1 surround. There is clearly a difference of Night & Day including output power and even sound quality. Some expensive HTiBs can decode 5.1 well and some claim also Dolby Atmos.

AVRs last long enough including the speakers you use. Since not all AVRs are made in Japan anymore like the good old days (the 90s), typical shelf life of AVRs is between 3 to 6 years depending on how well used, maintained etc.

Once you audition / start using various systems, you will understand what I am referring to. I have been upgrading / rebuilding my system for the past 10 years trying out different brands of speakers / models etc.

End of the day it is your call to decide if you are content with a HTiB or you want to get into a nice entry level dedicated setup. Each of us are different. What is good / perfect to me may be bad for you and your expectations. Trust your ears, decide on your actual requirements keeping in mind budget and take the plunge.

All the best!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back