isolating the speakers from their shelves

koushikp

Hi,

finally Krishpiscean's PM6004 arrived and I set them up with the EVO-8 bought from Denzong...but...having huge vibrations from the shelf the speakers are kept in as you can see in the picture. The shelf is extremely sturdy and completely fixed onto the wall so that is not going to be a problem...require some ideas on how to isolate them..

My considerations when choosing a isolator would be:
1. I don't want to deface the beautiful Evo...so don't want to drill or stick glue on them
2. I guess spikes would be a good idea as they are clamped onto the speakers rather than screwed, but they will scratch the shelf when the speakers are pushed to clean the shelf...so need some way out of there..

and finally i have no idea where to buy them in mumbai...so some help there also please, i don't mind buying online but they will take time to reach, i will rather buy them over the weekend if possible..

Attachments

• IMG-20120615-00105.jpg
    IMG-20120615-00105.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 185
I suggest place a cork sheet below the speakers. This would take care of the vibration. In Addition, you can place a MDF piece over the cork sheet and stick the speakers on them using double sided tape like 3M or blu tack putty or something similar (I know you said no to gluing but I still feel the tape thing would be a good idea :) ).

BTW, don't you think the speakers are placed a bit too high for proper listening?

I suggest place a cork sheet below the speakers. This would take care of the vibration. In Addition, you can place a MDF piece over the cork sheet and stick the speakers on them using double sided tape like 3M or blu tack putty or something similar (I know you said no to gluing but I still feel the tape thing would be a good idea :) ).

BTW, don't you think the speakers are placed a bit too high for proper listening?

:eek: all greek and latin to me soulforged...any idea where can i go to buy them where the shopowner also will not look at me blankly?

yeah i know about the height, but this is my bedroom setup, there had to be compromises as keeping them on the floor would have crowded out the room, these are quite high...the shelf is about 6.5 feet off the floor...

Check with a local carpenter or hardware store, you should be able to get some leads on where to get cork sheet from. If it becomes an issue, I can try to get some shipped to you from here in Bangalore :)

A good idea is to put mouse pads! yes, the ones which have cloth-type rough but cushioned surface. Not the plastic surface kind.

Any neoprene semi-flexible rubber mats will also works... visit your local hardware or home decor store.

Last edited:
Isolating speakers with sound deadening material like Cork, Neoprene etc may help in reducing vibrations but would also result in reducing the LFE and bass quality. The only way to get optimum SQ from bookshelf speakers is to place them on a stand thereby enabling proper transfer of vibrations onto the ground.

Isolating speakers with sound deadening material like Cork, Neoprene etc may help in reducing vibrations but would also result in reducing the LFE and bass quality. The only way to get optimum SQ from bookshelf speakers is to place them on a stand thereby enabling proper transfer of vibrations onto the ground.

As I mentioned in my post capt placing them on stands will just not be possible in this setup, there is just not enough space..So I will have to live with certain compromises in this setup...will do whatever is the best possible way to isolate given the situation..Since you are advocating against the sound deadening materials, will spikes be a better solution?

You can also try using some BluTack under the speakers. Make 4 footers using BluTack and fix the speakers to the shelf using the footers. I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but it theoretically should. And it will cost less than 75/- to try :)

If you prefer to use spikes, you can buy them from soundfoundations.in ("Magma" on this forum). He's based in Mumbai, so you might be able to pick them up from him directly/quickly.

Auralex SpeakerDude HD Speaker Isolation Platforms | eBay

or

Amazon.com: 1.5" Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-Skid Feet with Adhesive 50 Durometer - 4-Pack: Home Improvement (these need to be stuck to the speaker)

I have bought both and have used the speakerdudes. Don't remember noticing any difference, probably because my speakers were already on stands with a lot of breathing space. Another nice thing about it that it has a 4 degree tilt which you can use to point the speakers wither up or down.

Last edited:
Auralex SpeakerDude HD Speaker Isolation Platforms | eBay

or

Amazon.com: 1.5" Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-Skid Feet with Adhesive 50 Durometer - 4-Pack: Home Improvement (these need to be stuck to the speaker)

I have bought both and have used the speakerdudes. Don't remember noticing any difference, probably because my speakers were already on stands with a lot of breathing space. Another nice thing about it that it has a 4 degree tilt which you can use to point the speakers wither up or down.

The auralex speakerdude looks promising from multiple angles....but too expensive...I have to find a cheaper solution to the problem...

Hi,

finally Krishpiscean's PM6004 arrived and I set them up with the EVO-8 bought from Denzong...but...having huge vibrations from the shelf the speakers are kept in as you can see in the picture. The shelf is extremely sturdy and completely fixed onto the wall so that is not going to be a problem...require some ideas on how to isolate them..

My considerations when choosing a isolator would be:
1. I don't want to deface the beautiful Evo...so don't want to drill or stick glue on them
2. I guess spikes would be a good idea as they are clamped onto the speakers rather than screwed, but they will scratch the shelf when the speakers are pushed to clean the shelf...so need some way out of there..

and finally i have no idea where to buy them in mumbai...so some help there also please, i don't mind buying online but they will take time to reach, i will rather buy them over the weekend if possible..

The easiest and cheapest way of testing this out will be to put a coir doormat or the one you use with coir mattress with low density below the speaker and check if it damps the vibration completely. If no, then due to space constraint nothing can be done.

As per my opinion the vibrations could be due to the following,
-Poor bracing of the enclosures which get transferred to the speaker panels.
- Improper damping of the enclosure allowing the vibrations to get transferred to the panels
- Incorrect placement of the speakers not allowing the sound waves to disperse properly.
- Extended excrusion of the woofer cone when the bass control is turned up.
- Improper calculation of the enclosure volume vis-a-vis the woofer TS parameters.
- Cross-over not matching the speakers.

Most of the points can be tested easily by placing the speakers as you would normally do in a living room and check out if the vibrations decreases.

Usually in a sealed or vented enclosure you are bound to have vibration transferred to the panels due to the inherent design unless they are designed perfectly which low cost product usually do not have.

I would always suggest anyone to go for a good quality DIY speaker rather than going for a entry level branded speakers due to the above reasons.

Thanks Hari,

I would try the coir doormat suggestion...I doubt its the speakers as they are actually of a impeccable build quality, when you come over next time to do the amp comparison you can also check it out...these speakers were always sold by Wharfedale as a class of products above the diamond range...that's why when I got them for cheap didn't think too much...I guess the problems has to be due to improper placement...the bass ports are in front, so that should also not be too much of a problem..lets test it tomorrow with the doormat solution...

@corelement...I know they are too high but I was just out of options in the bedroom...Actually Hari had also visited and I had decided to go for a BS TL design, but just didn't have the space to accommodate it so had to chuck the idea...anyway this is my second setup, the main setup in in my living room where one day I am sure Hari's ATLs will grace their presence...

Thanks Hari,

I would try the coir doormat suggestion...I doubt its the speakers as they are actually of a impeccable build quality, when you come over next time to do the amp comparison you can also check it out...these speakers were always sold by Wharfedale as a class of products above the diamond range...that's why when I got them for cheap didn't think too much...I guess the problems has to be due to improper placement...the bass ports are in front, so that should also not be too much of a problem..lets test it tomorrow with the doormat solution...

@corelement...I know they are too high but I was just out of options in the bedroom...Actually Hari had also visited and I had decided to go for a BS TL design, but just didn't have the space to accommodate it so had to chuck the idea...anyway this is my second setup, the main setup in in my living room where one day I am sure Hari's ATLs will grace their presence...

May be when i am back from Coimbatore, i will get my Sony Amplifier and my DIY bookshelfs too for a comparision. Hope the ATLs find a place in your home too. I will be honored.

spikes act as diodes and drain/transmit vibrations from the speaker to the floor/shelf

in your case this cannot be used because the shelf vibrating is your problem

the coir suggestion or the sorbothane is your best bet
all i can offer you is the anti skid silicon gel pads that you can use between the speaker and shelf

though i think coir or thermocol will be more effective

Magma's suggestion of thermocol suddenly made me realise I had the thermocol cut to perfect size in the speaker packing! Put it to use...significant change in sound quality for the better, much cleaner and tighter sound...the thermocol has attracted a few angry stares from the home minister, but at least now I know the solution to the problem, will work out a more aesthetic solution

Thanks hfv!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

For isolating qa 3030i placed on a tv cabinet (until I get the stands)

pods or foam pads

Or

One can get cork sheet from IKEA - delivery to limited cities.
look for Pot Stand or Place mat .
Seems currently out of stock for Hyd/Bangalore.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back