• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Isolation transformer

celester340

Guys I want a simple non technical explanation please.

1. What does it do?

2. Is it advisable in a HT or stereo setup?

3. What will it do in a HT or a stereo setup?

4. Any benefits?

Thank you.

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

bornfi

Guys I want a simple non technical explanation please.

1. What does it do?
It isolates your system from main circuit which means less of AC noise getting into your system.
2. Is it advisable in a HT or stereo setup?
Yes and in fact power conditioning is a must.
3. What will it do in a HT or a stereo setup?
Should bring the noise floor down.
4. Any benefits?
Yes, but not that level of difference that you cannot live without it.
Thank you.
I introduced isolation transformer in my system long ago but recently tried something called Balanced Power from Equitech and this is something I cannot live without. Voices and instruments have taken such a nice shape that is making music sound so realistic and the noise floor has gone down drastically.

I would forcibly encourage you to read about this - you can start from Equitech and then I see some available from China too. Please check out the links below; whatever reading I have done so far indicates that these do both - isolates and supplies balance power to the system and benefit is seen mostly with the equipment running on 3-pin AC supply.

celester340

I'm not looking at any Sonic improvements. I'm just looking to get clean power to the amps and reduce the loops buzz and hiss from the amps and speakers.

What u said, is it available in India? Thanks.

Hari Iyer

I have tried using an isolation transformer on my setup couple of months ago and finally removed them. They sounded nice for first 30 minutes or so after that lost all punch and transients. Once the core of the transformer gets saturated they do more harm than good imo.

If 50 Hz and 100 Hz hum/ buzz is an issue you can try using audio isolation transformer at your IC. Alternatively you can try a LPF @ around 1MHz to filter all RF& EMI noise.

celester340

Any side effects or bad effects of using a isolation transformer in HT or music setup?

bornfi

I'm not looking at any Sonic improvements. I'm just looking to get clean power to the amps and reduce the loops buzz and hiss from the amps and speakers.

What u said, is it available in India? Thanks.
If they are available in India or not will something have to be researched (by you :)) but you can certainly try the one on eBay from China and trust me that the change it has shown in my system is just so good and I am very confident that it will help you too.

celester340

The Equitech certainly looks very nice. Unfortunately it’s not available to buy in India. You haven’t tried the Chinese one from eBay right?

panditji

Hey, these guys also have an audio power conditioner... Can someone please check with them the difference between their Audio power conditioner and the isolation transformer? They are based out of Bangalore...

SPONSORED ADS