iTunes vs CDs

ssm30

Hello,
Was wondering which one of the two is better: iTunes 320kbps or normal Audio CD.

Of course MP4 from iTunes are portable, plug in a pen drive in AVR and you're done.CDs require a CD player, its connections.

So in the end, apart from convenience, which one has better quality? And is it substantially better to dump the worse option?

This has been answered many times before - mp3 is lossy. CDs in redbook format are theoretically lossless. Obviously CDs are far superior to mp3.

Thanks Reignofchaos..

Of course CDs are great, but wanted to understand whether Indian CDs - modern ones - like Barfi, Rockstar - do these all follow the "Redbook" format?

ssm30,

Despite what you read on here and elsewhere on Redbook format - you need a serious serious setup to fully exploit the format.

Computer audio (which I would categorize iTunes as) offers massive convenience mainly.
With hi res files you can start to challenge CD formats but only after you get a good DAC into your setup.

ssm30,

Despite what you read on here and elsewhere on Redbook format - you need a serious serious setup to fully exploit the format.

Computer audio (which I would categorize iTunes as) offers massive convenience mainly.
With hi res files you can start to challenge CD formats but only after you get a good DAC into your setup.

That is exactly why I said CD is theoretically lossless :lol:.

CDs require a CD player, its connections

Not necessarily if PC is your main source/transport ... The best and convenient way is to rip all the audio cds to any one of the lossless formats (WAV, FLAC, APE etc) and play it through a DAC via USB. Instead of investing in an entry level CD player, will a little extra money adding a DAC in the system chain will make sense. Additionally a decent DVD/BluRay player can be connected to the same DAC as transport through Coaxial or Optical digital cable to play your MP3/Audio disc collections.

Few well reviewed DACs which are not very expensive ...
REGA DAC, ARCAM irDAC, M2Tech EVO, Musical Fidelity M1

I've heard arguments on both sides, however given my current set up, which of the following options is the best bet
1 : Play Audio CD in PS3/ DVD player and take output via Optical/ HDMI to AVR
2 : Use ITunes download (320 kbps MP4) directly to AVR and use it's inbuilt DAC and amplifier

Thanks again

I've heard arguments on both sides, however given my current set up, which of the following options is the best bet
2 : Use ITunes download (320 kbps MP4) directly to AVR and use it's inbuilt DAC and amplifier

Thanks again

ssm30, for option 2 what OS are you on? Windows or Mac OS?

If you are on Windows consider using alternative media software like Foobar or Jriver (paid) ... you will be amazed at the difference in sound quality. iTunes is decent on Mac but there you have similar options again like Jriver and Amarra.

You will have to see which option sounds better. However option 2 does give you some flexibility when you add a media player like I have mentioned.

Thanks Nikhil

I am on Windows OS and as said by you, i downloaded Foobar.. Amazed... WoW.. What a difference between Windows Media Player and Foobar...

Now, I will consider DAC ... But spending 20k for DAC will have to wait... Will continue using Foobar into AVR through a stereo connection..

Thanks again

What's your setup?

Sound is highly subjective... and so its a matter of personal taste. Also, a lot depends on whether you truly love music or are a gadget freak. Some people like listening to equipment you know... its the equipment its played on that's more important than the music that is being played.

I'm a tech guy so I can assure you give me the right PC and the right s/w and equalizer and you can pretty much make anything sound excellent or awful entirely dependent on the media player settings, the sound equalizer, etc.

End of the day its what gives you nirvana and if convenience is your nirvana then go with it.

PS - My wife has no time nor the inclination to turn on the HTPC, the PS3, the projector, the Onkyo home theater to watch Game of Thrones. She'd rather use the Android tablet and headphones to stream the content from the HTPC (shared drive).

I on the other hand give equal importance to the SFX as much as the video. Sound has to be in 5.1 and the video has to be 720P before I even decide to even "waste" my time starting with a TV series. So you can be assured I have to watch on the 55" Plasma or the projector based setup along with the home theater and 5.1 setup.

End of the day can I say I enjoy my TV serials more than my wife? Not really... she's watches tons more stuff than I can ever hope to. She knows all about Bates Motel, Hannibal, Game of Thrones and all the latest serials that I can not even begin to name.

So if convenience is your thing and iTunes gives that to you then by all means go with it.

PS - I'm the guy who ripped over 600 CDs in FLAC format and then patiently tagged and created multiple copies for backup over a 2-3 month period. So you know exactly where I stand when listening to music too.

Thanks Musicbee

ITunes really is convenient, Just download a song you like anytime of day.. No setting up CD player.. listen to it in phone, media player, Tablet, AVR etc..

I just have Lenovo Laptop and a Sony M phone.. On the AVR i have just got Yamaha RXV475 and BA A25 speakers... I have PS3 to play Blurays..

I am still to expand the set up using Subwoofer and rear speakers. I think I will stick to Itunes for the time being.. Maybe expand into a DAC later as most DACs cost upwards of INR 20k

Thanks again

Note that in option 1 too, you are using your avr's inbuilt dac.

Maybe expand into a DAC later as most DACs cost upwards of INR 20k

In that price range I highly recommend a sound card especially if you have a PC based setup. Good DACs cost upwards of 50K to really make a difference. Asus soundcards are pretty good and compare favorably to most DACs in the 30K to even 50K DACs.

I have both the Xonar Essence ST and the Xonar Essence STX and can say I'm happy with both of them. They pretty much beat all the CA DacMagics, MF V-DACs, Squeezebox Touch and most other entry level devices.

An Oppo (at least to my ears) has a way better DAC for what it costs.

Considering its iTunes, I'd highly recommend a good soundcard (audiophile grade) and maybe powered speakers or an amp based setup depending on the budget and your ears.

In that price range I highly recommend a sound card especially if you have a PC based setup. Good DACs cost upwards of 50K to really make a difference. Asus soundcards are pretty good and compare favorably to most DACs in the 30K to even 50K DACs.

I have both the Xonar Essence ST and the Xonar Essence STX and can say I'm happy with both of them. They pretty much beat all the CA DacMagics, MF V-DACs, Squeezebox Touch and most other entry level devices.

An Oppo (at least to my ears) has a way better DAC for what it costs.

Considering its iTunes, I'd highly recommend a good soundcard (audiophile grade) and maybe powered speakers or an amp based setup depending on the budget and your ears.

Any USB DAC , so I can use with Laptop?

Any USB DAC , so I can use with Laptop?

ssm30,

I am no expert in this field. But I have always heard "Fiio" as affordable, good usb DAC. Two models which I had in my mind to use along with ipod and laptop. Fiio E07k and FiioE17. Very sleek, fits in pocket and around 100$ you can get those.

Five Best Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs)

I am not sure how Fiio would be rated by real audiophilic enthusiasts.

Thanks Nikhil

I am on Windows OS and as said by you, i downloaded Foobar.. Amazed... WoW.. What a difference between Windows Media Player and Foobar...

Now, I will consider DAC ... But spending 20k for DAC will have to wait... Will continue using Foobar into AVR through a stereo connection..

That's great! Do this thing slowly and in your own time.
This hobby is all about the process - each stage has it's discoveries.
Most importantly stick to your budget. Lots of good options out there.

About Foobar, there's a lot of options you can explore. Browse the Foobar forums out there and you will learn a lot on what you can do. You can also start exploring hi res audio. And always use your ears to decide.

Note that in option 1 too, you are using your avr's inbuilt dac.

Hmm.. Right.. I had thought, using CD by optical will bypass AVR DAC.. But yes. its Digital so it will have to go through DAC..

Does giving input from Stereo-in bypass the DAC? Then I can use it, if I get a DAC which is better than the in-built Yamaha RXV475 DAC.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back