I've tried the audyssey multieq app and it has transformed my system

newlash09

Hi all...thought I'd share my experience for the benefit of other marantz and denon AVR users. I have a 5.1.4 setup with the concept 40's as fronts, concept centre. And qacoustics q7000i LR speakers as rears. I have 4 Yamaha IWC series speakers as my Atmos in ceiling speakers. Since my room is only 11x17 ft. I always felt that audyssey room correction robbed my system off its musicality. I tried various setting in audyssey calibration but it really didn't help much. As a last resort I tried the audyssey multieq app , before considering a Yamaha AVR. And boy am I glad.

This app is available on the android store for 1600 INR. Once installed we have to connect to the AVR , and this is a real pain as the app kept dropping connection with my SR6011. But once it remained stable it prompted me to calibrate the speakers again. So I plugged in the Mike and started. Even during the calibration it kept loosing connection with the SR6011. So I had to start from scratch everytime. Finally I managed to measure all the speakers for my primary 3 listening positions. Now the app shows the individual speakers measurement curve and the post correction curve. We can adjust and change the post correction curve as and how we like it. I don't know anything about speaker curve so I let it be. Next option is that the app lets us decide the frequency band between which audyssey correction should take place. So I reduced this to upto 250hz for all speakers, instead of going full range. Once done the app prompts of we want to export the settings to the AVR, which I did.

And now I find the difference to be huge. It's not just a small difference. It's more like a complete new AVR + new speakers kind of thing. People who know how to tweak speaker curves will of course derive more benefit. But my simple act of restricting audyssey to 250jz has worked magic in my room. Thanks for reading :)

Good for you. But I am disappointed one has to buy the app and not get it free from marantz.

Yes Audyssey is a very powerful tool and is underestimated by many. My AVR does not support this app, however, even with the simple wired mic, one small mistake and you can notice a difference in the setup. There are numerous hacks, tips and suggestions available online to do it properly.

Now that you have the app, keep experimenting with various settings and let us know how it goes.

MaSh

My AVR does not support this app either and I'm not happy with the wired mic adjustments. Have to constantly tweak - what sounds good for music does not for movies and vice versa! Wish I had waited just a few months for the newer version of Denon that supports this app!

My AVR does not support this app either and I'm not happy with the wired mic adjustments. Have to constantly tweak - what sounds good for music does not for movies and vice versa! Wish I had waited just a few months for the newer version of Denon that supports this app!
This was the exact problem I was having too. I couldn't get a setup that was good for both movies and music. And I had to keep shuffling settings constantly. Hence I was considering going for a Yamaha AVR, but luckily the audyssey multieq app worked for me.

No matter which AVR it is from which brand, they stand no chance compared to a stereo amp within the same segment when it comes to music. It's always a compromise using an AVR for both movies and music.

I have come to temporarily settle for a manual eq setup + little tweaks here and there, after doing a full audyssey run. Current configuration is so far a good compromise for movies and music for me. Hunt for a good power amp or an integrated is gaining momentum.

MaSh

No matter which AVR it is from which brand, they stand no chance compared to a stereo amp within the same segment when it comes to music. It's always a compromise using an AVR for both movies and music.

I have come to temporarily settle for a manual eq setup + little tweaks here and there, after doing a full audyssey run. Current configuration is so far a good compromise for movies and music for me. Hunt for a good power amp or an integrated is gaining momentum.

MaSh
Well...we all have our own perspectives I guess. The stereo amp might sound better than a AVR, but how much is that margin, and how much is the cost.

Ive tried a lot of stuff at different price points, and I can safely say that there are differences, but not much. Folks can take it any which they like. But my hifi journey has come to a grinding halt after I realised that most stuff sounds good. And don't need to sell a kidney or a liver for the next upgrade.

hi All,

I recently downloaded the app and need some inputs from the knowledeable members. My set up is
AVR - Denon AVRX 2500H
Speakers - Polk S55, S35, Polk tl2 (Surrounds), Polk HTS 12 Subwoofer.

Set up is in the living room + Dining Room which is L shaped. The Living room dimensions are 20*14 and the Dining extension is another 18x12. The sub is placed next to the couch facing the fronts. I have been running the system with Audyssey calibaration through the AVR but was not happy with the Reference/Flat because it sounded very thin in the bass zone. No punchy Bass. I however liked L/R bypass which was very punchy but there was some bass reverberation. The sound signature I would prefer is the punchy bass I get in L/R Bypass without the little boominess/reverberation.

I usually listen in -20 to -10 db range and I would prefer a sound signature good for music which is interest. 70-30 Music - Movie %.

I have downloaded the app, but I am very confused about what should I be tinkering with. I tried increasing the Reference curve between 60-100 for my fronts and Subwoofer which increased the punch but still not close enough to what I would prefer.

Please also suggest some good tracks for testing.

any tip will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have been using the app for 2 yrs and its absolutely superior than stock audyssey results.
Biggest disadv being the usability of editing the curves on a mobile device,its a torture

any tips that you think may be useful
I personally turn mid range compens Off and restrict frequency to 500hz for all channels, in my room allowing the frequency control till 20khz to audyssey is making the sound bright.
As per audyssey they designed mid range compensation feature keeping Klipsch spkrs in mind and its by default ON if one doesn't use the app.

Well...we all have our own perspectives I guess. The stereo amp might sound better than a AVR, but how much is that margin, and how much is the cost.

Ive tried a lot of stuff at different price points, and I can safely say that there are differences, but not much. Folks can take it any which they like. But my hifi journey has come to a grinding halt after I realised that most stuff sounds good. And don't need to sell a kidney or a liver for the next upgrade.
Couldn't agree more.
In the same boat, Audyssey curve set to 450hz for LCR and 1000 hz for surrounds (only because surrounds had a big bump at the 900 mark without correction) and very happy.

I think the reason for this is thus:
When you pick a set of decent speakers, you select them because they come close to your preferred listening curve.
Any upstream changes to the curve (which audyssey or any RCA does) makes it shift and so you end up finding something amiss for music.

By limiting the correction to close to the room schroeder frequency, you get the best of both worlds - accurate bass correction that would otherwise have needed significant physical changes to the room
While keeping the mids/highs exactly as the way your chosen speaker is supposed to deliver.

As for Integrated, have tried AVR, AVR + AB , AVR + class D in all sorts of permutations and combinations over the last 25 years.
TBH, all three sound the same unless i explicitly go looking for subtle differences (which I don't as there is no better way to ruin one's listening experience..lol)

Have left the Integrateds connected just coz I have em already.

For a new buyer, unless they plan to play at 80db or more for extended periods (or have particularly low sensitivity speakers), I always recommend to simply get a decent AVR and be done with it

Last edited:
As for Integrated, have tried AVR, AVR + AB , AVR + class D in all sorts of permutations and combinations over the last 25 years.
TBH, all three sound the same unless i explicitly go looking for subtle differences (which I don't as there is no better way to ruin one's listening experience..lol)
True that. If I'm permitted to be blasphemous, I would add Class A also to that list. To be more blasphemous, I listen to stereo more on my Yamaha AVR than on my (costlier class A setup) or headphones. Also I enjoy the AVR in multi channel mode :p. The yamaha DSP processor does a wonderful job in widening the sound stage and more than compensates for the bad L shaped dedicated music room that I have. I have used YPAO (yamaha's equivalent of odyssey).

When I listen to my stereo setup, it is mostly with a class D amp, so light that it can probably be held as an ear ring. The speaker cable that I purchased to go with my valve amp, when I connect to the class D amp, the cable lifts up the class D amp and sometimes I have to adjust the cable or put some weight on the amp. The class A valve amp (i think > 40 kg) now acts as a platform on which the Class D amp sits.

So whatever rocks your boat.

Me entering a conversation with my protruding rum belly and my chest held high would indeed be a sight for the funnies.

@aeroash has read me well and I total sync with the experiences and thoughts of @superczar,@mbhangui and Manoharji.

I have always said that I have olden ears and I don't pretend to hear what I don't. I have tired good stereo amps in my system and have not heard a noticeable difference. As I don't play very loud, I have not felt the need for a power amp either for stereo or for movies.

The only thing that I am currently curious about is room correction (MiniDSP, Dirac etc) and have been after @aeroash to learn me stuff.

Last edited:
I just did this, calibrated using the app and uploaded the result to the AVR and it's much better than before, everything went smooth for me the first time, no connection drop even once
AVR - Denon 3500
Phone - Oneplus 6T ( on Android 11)

So I reduced this to upto 250hz for all speakers
couldn't find this option though newlash09

It’s “MultiEQ Filter Frequency Range“ option.
You can select each speaker pair and center, and limit the frequency range.
do you or anyone here tell me how this will help?
instead just letting the graph be the way it is restricting the correction only up to 250 hz
and what else can be done to make things better

do you or anyone here tell me how this will help?
instead just letting the graph be the way it is restricting the correction only up to 250 hz
and what else can be done to make things better
You may need to see what frequency range restriction in the app with your gear suits your ears.
The range may differ from person to person depending on the gear and taste.
There are other settings like midrange compensation which I keep off.
But the app is worth the money and gives you more control than the inbuilt avr Auddyssey.

You can save your settings in .ady files and mail & save them. You can have various files with different settings.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back