Jamaluddin : Vinyl Seller Kolkata

The Wall

Hi All,

Accidently stumbled upon the below article on a short film made on Jamaluddin , who happens to be a "old vinyl" seller in Kolkata.

A place in my heart - Times Of India

I frequent the Wellington area often however have not come across his shop.
Can anybody form Kolkata guide me as to where exactly Jamaluddin's shop is. After viewing the short film , there is an urge within me to meet the man.

Hi All,

Accidently stumbled upon the below article on a short film made on Jamaluddin , who happens to be a "old vinyl" seller in Kolkata.

Can anybody form Kolkata guide me as to where exactly Jamaluddin's shop is. After viewing the short film , there is an urge within me to meet the man.

A new building is coming up where Jamaal had his shop on Lenin Sarani. He now sits in his son Mashuq's shop who also deals in used vinyl records. Mashuq's shop is in Kamalaya Centre on Lenin Sarani. If you want i can forward Mashuq's number.
Regards
Vasu

Went to Jamal bhai's shop today.............. a very humble man with a very good collection of records.......... probably the best in Kolkata.
Bought a rare lp of Live performance of "Shakti" with a photograph of Ustad Zakhir Hussain on the back cover looking extremely young, almost boyish.
Have asked him for some more titles , which would aquire through visits during the week.
Overall a great experience !!!!

Forgot to thank Mr. Vasu of our forum for providing the invaluable contact info.

Hi Wall, I can also plan a visit for some Bengali Adhunik Song Records of 60s / 70s. On a general note how much is the average price of these records?

Hi All,

Amazing!! Hope to see the short film. Is it on youtube?

Hey Reubensm,

Here u go ......

A Day in the Life of Jamaluddin - Kolkata Videos : Firstpost Topic - Page 1

haisaikat :

Sure u can ............. he has a great collection of Brngali LPs.
His warehouse is at Broad Street (near Mediview Nursing Home), where the bulk of the good stuff lies.
If you need any particular title, you can ask him to retrieve it for u before-hand.
Overall i found the price to be reasonable. He has a good collection of MINT CBS pressings of Doors, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis , Toto ect. and you could bargain upto Rs.250-Rs.300 per title. Bengali ones if not rare, are much cheaper.

Hey Reubensm,

Here u go ......

A Day in the Life of Jamaluddin - Kolkata Videos : Firstpost Topic - Page 1

haisaikat :

Sure u can ............. he has a great collection of Brngali LPs.
His warehouse is at Broad Street (near Mediview Nursing Home), where the bulk of the good stuff lies.
If you need any particular title, you can ask him to retrieve it for u before-hand.
Overall i found the price to be reasonable. He has a good collection of MINT CBS pressings of Doors, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis , Toto ect. and you could bargain upto Rs.250-Rs.300 per title. Bengali ones if not rare, are much cheaper.

Thanks, saw the video, nice to see that Philips turntable playing his records. Any idea how much he charges for English and Hindi titles?

Price is around 200-300 depending on record condition. I understood he has some very good quality re-prints 0f late 70s , for a majority of popular hindi titles , which are around 300.

For english titles , he has some mint CBS pressings of
BoB Dylan : real live
Tutu : IV (if i am not wrong)
Miles Davis : The Man with a horn
and around 10-12 other titles. These are new records and in great condition.
They are around 350 each.

Hope this all helps. I visited his warehouse just once and will update on following visits.

Last edited:
Mashuq also has a very good collection. And he is reasonably priced.

Don't go to those silly, overpriced guys in Free School Street.

True............ he is very reasonably priced and has immense knowledge on Film music both hindi and bengali, Great to interact with both of them.

Today picked up some MINT copies of Ray Charles, Men At Work, Louis Armstrong & Danny Kaye , Jim Reeeves, Santana, Wynton Marsalis and some hindi stuff. Enjoying building my vinyl collection.

True............ he is very reasonably priced and has immense knowledge on Film music both hindi and bengali, Great to interact with both of them.

Today picked up some MINT copies of Ray Charles, Men At Work, Louis Armstrong & Danny Kaye , Jim Reeeves, Santana, Wynton Marsalis and some hindi stuff. Enjoying building my vinyl collection.

Which Ray Charles album did you pick up from Jamal ?

I will be in Calcutta tomorrow. Could someone please give me his number? (Mushtaq / Jamaluddin)

Many thanks in advance

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back