Jamo C405/407, Wharfedale 9.6 ... or a 9.5?

milestoneseeker

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie and on a hunt for my first component system. While I love my music, I am foreseeing a 60-40 usage for music-movies. Hence, I am looking for an AVR + a pair of speakers to begin with.

I initially toyed with the idea of BS speakers but then decided for FS. That said, I have heard the following:

1. Tsi300
  2. Wharfdale 9.5
  3. Wharfdale 9.6
  4. Jamo C407

Tsi300 were more like starting points and I have not really considered them post the first session :)

C407 were again not planned but when I did hear them (paired with some Onkyo AVRs ... though not SR607 for sure), I found them to be surprisingly nice ! I did some further research and read that they are actually pretty good FS. Punchy bass and nice mid range was my impression. But would they be labelled as bright speakers? I am not hung up on warm vs. bright terms but want to get a feel of what I hear vs. the terms :)

Since I had heard so much about the 9.5s, I then decided to look them up. TBH, when I heard them, I was kind of disappointed. Maybe C407 was not the right base for this audition? I had the rxv371 hooked up to 9.5.

I decided to listen to 9.6 immediately after 9.5. I found 9.6 having a better balance of music and the voice. As if, 9.5 was falling short of reproducing some of the instruments which 9.6s could. But I still found 9.6 trailing 407. However, since I heard the 9.6 on rx-v371 and not on 471, I am hoping a combo of 471+9.6 would sound better?

I am planning to go back and do an audition of Denon 1612/Jamo 407, Yamaha rxv471/Diamond 9.6.

But wanted to get opinion from the experienced folks on this forum all the same.

Btw, I am planning for a max budget of 40k for a pair of FS.

For AVR, I am going to decide between 1612, 1911 (if I can get one cheap) or v471.

Cheers
Rishi

hi,

Pl. try to audition as many speakers in various price range and then take a call.

For the sake of comparsion, you may drop in and listen to my set-up, which may give some clue to you.

cheers,

Thanks bud ! Can you elaborate on your set up? I do remember you have volunteered to audition your set up for other folks too (in some other threads) but for the world of me, I can't seem to remember your set up.

I have the jamp C405 and they are very detailed speakers. Not that you would call them bright but fairly neutral. In comparison, the wharfs can be considered warm. So C405 are brighter when compared to the wharfs.

The C407 has an extra bass driver. Haven't had a chance to hear them. The C405 is more than sufficient for a 15*25 room. Go for 407 only if you have a really big room.

Hey Blasto,

I think your definition of "brighter than wharfs" is an apt description of what I meant. I am actually looking for 405s but as they has been replaced by 407s (as per what I have read and the sales guy too), I am not sure if I can land a pair. But planning to visit cinebels' Jamo site for the next round of audition and will see if 405 are there.

My current room is actually good for 405s but due to forward thinking (I hope to move to Pune to my house which has a significantly bigger living room), I am open to 407s.

Btw, what's the price for 405? I had heard a range from 32-34k while 407 is being officially quoted for 42k (by eZone, to begin with).

And which AVR goes well with Jamo? Denon or Yamaha?

And I must admit, searching for a component system is so much more fun than looking up for HTiB !!

Cheers

You can also consider the following.

Paradigm monitor 7/9
KEF IQ50
Polk RTI A5
Klipsch F20

A quick update (so that folks don't think this thread is dead) :)

I was down and out with flu through this weekend but managed to drag my better half to Millers Road for C405 demo. Now, I have heard them at ezone but still want to listen again, especially since I have also heard 9.6s by now. I must say the set up at Cinebels was disappointing. This is no reflection of speakers (to which I am still very much inclined) but they way those guys have put the speakers (essentially, immediate next to each other) and also the gap from the walls (no more than 8''-10'', it was very boomy.

Plus, they only had Sherwood avr. Anyway, I was too ill to ask them to change it so I just listened and came back.

Hope to pursue audition of some Tannoy FS next week at ht store.

Cheers

A quick update (so that folks don't think this thread is dead) :)

I was down and out with flu through this weekend but managed to drag my better half to Millers Road for C405 demo. Now, I have heard them at ezone but still want to listen again, especially since I have also heard 9.6s by now. I must say the set up at Cinebels was disappointing. This is no reflection of speakers (to which I am still very much inclined) but they way those guys have put the speakers (essentially, immediate next to each other) and also the gap from the walls (no more than 8''-10'', it was very boomy.

Plus, they only had Sherwood avr. Anyway, I was too ill to ask them to change it so I just listened and came back.

Hope to pursue audition of some Tannoy FS next week at ht store.

Cheers

I have listened to the sherwood AVR. They were pathetic. They cannot make any speakers sound good.

There was a sterio amp of sherwood which was kind of ok. Can come in the range of NAD C315BEE.

An update to this thread after some time:

I had a chance to listen to some more speakers:
  • Tannoy V4
  • Monitor 7 v6
  • Klipsch RF52
  • Kilpsch RF42
  • Kilpsch F10

Out of the above three, I heard the first two on Denon 1912, Klipsh RF52's were heard on a Marantz stereo amp, RF42s and F10s were heard on, I think, 5005.

I loved the RF52s! Maybe it was the set up but the degree of clarity was very very nice. Plus plenty of punchy bass. As compared to them, RF42s felt severely deflated (they go down only till ~50 Hz) while F10's sounded very boomy. One could make the difference between Reference and Synergy series very easily. I demoed all three at Cinebels' showroom.

Then I moved to htstore for the V4 and Monitor. Heard them on 1912 as I am all set to procure 1911. I felt the Monitors were very different from the v4. I would not call V4s bad, but somehow the Monitors sounded "fuller". But unfortunately, I still had the RF52 hangover so I kept comparing these to the 52s.

Post additional research, I am very keen to audition the MA RS6 and then see if I can get those below 50k, considering they are on their way out.

I am also planning to go back and audition RF52s with my 1911 to have the same reference level.

As of now, the way I look at it, I am no closer to deciding what would work best for me even after all this time :) But then, I am not in a hurry and am psychologically attuned to shelling out close to 40k now (as against 30 k earlier) for genuinely nice FS.

Let me know of what you all think of the speakers, I would be able to relate it better having heard them now.

Cheers

54k :eek:

Even the Monitor 7 are 45k and I was quoted a discounted price of 38k. So I certainly do not see my hunt settling down at 30k. Does no good to my better half's mood :)

Please check the Usher speakers. There's the V series floorstander for under 50. They are sold by ARN systems in frazer town. PM odyssey on this forum.

@reignofchaos, I am planning to visit ARN systems so will check out the Usher speakers too.

OT: Do you happen to be with the same handle on t-bhp forum too? :)

Updates to my speaker hunt.

Since the last time, I have revisited both my preferences as well as budget. They way I stand now, my preferred list of speakers are (not in any particular order):

• Jamo C405/407
  • Klipsch RF52
  • MA BR6

I did listen to Wharfedale 9.5/9.6 but have found them to be too warm. I am beginning to think "me likes bright sound". I have heard good things of 10.7 too but I am not sure of the signature Wharfi sound.

I have heard Paradigm Monitor 7 v6 too, found them to be good. But with all the recent auditions, I may need to revisit those to get a better bearing.

I heard MS Aviano 6 alongside MA BR6, and the MAs sounded much better than MS. Can we say MAs tend to be brighter than MS? Just getting your opinion in these terms.

I have high hopes of PSB T5s and hope to listen to them sometime this weekend. T6 will out of budget for me (>70k). Final Touch aside, are there any other shops stocking PSBs in Bangalore?

I have bought 1911 to begin with so I know I am adequately prepared to drive any of the above mentioned speakers. That takes care of one thing.

Please share your opinion of the current crop of speakers I have listed. Again, to qualify, Music:Movies may be 60:40 sorts. If music ever moves higher, then I will plan for a parallel stereo setup.

Cheers

me thinks.. if you are getting a good price for the jamo C405 / C407.. go for it.. else checkoout the paradigm Monitor 7 or Monitor 9's.

bear in mind.. paradigm has launched the new Monitor series so you may well put 5% extra pressure on the dealer for better prices.

Ofcourse.. the age old rider.. your taste.. your wallet.. your ears..your choice..

rgds,
mpw

Hi !
I am a new Audiophile but I have made the tough decision with budget in mind :)
I have gone for the paradigm monitor 7s version 6 and denon 1612.
My speakers have just broke in and I must say that they sound amazing !
The monitors have a very good coverage for lows, mids and highs. Given that they have 6" drivers the bass is quite impressive and is never boomy which helps when you are not having a room designed for acoustics.
My music:movie ratio is 90:10 but I must say its great for both !

Please note that I have auditioned Jamo as well but they feel a little weak if you dont have a subwoofer on the base. So, if you are looking for floorstanders without subs, paradigms are a great choice !

Last edited:
Kittu,

Would you have an idea on where I can audition Energy CF-50 in Bangalore? Their websites states only Chennai having a dealer.

Cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back