JBL Control One for ATMOS

superczar

I was thinking of adding 2 height speakers to my 5.1 setup.
I am unsure how much of benefit it will yield so I don't want to spend too much either .
Also, I can't make massive changes to the existing physical setup, I was wondering if an unobtrusive and cheap speaker like the JBL control 1 will be adequate for height effects.
The intended source is Netflix/Prime with either true ATMOS encoded material or non ATMOS upmixed to DTS Neural X.

The second question I have is if the marked positions (In Blue) would work for the speakers if I were to angle them at 45 degrees toward the MLP.
Any other thought/suggestions welcome

IMG_4781.jpg

I am unsure how much of benefit it will yield so I don't want to spend too much either .
Also, I can't make massive changes to the existing physical setup, I was wondering if an unobtrusive and cheap speaker like the JBL control 1 will be adequate for height effects.
The intended source is Netflix/Prime with either true ATMOS encoded material or non ATMOS upmixed to DTS Neural X.

The second question I have is if the marked positions (In Blue) would work for the speakers if I were to angle them at 45 degrees toward the MLP.

View attachment 35896
It should give you a decent sound stage but not the best of atmos. But for front heights please don't go for JBL control one. Check the SVS prime elevation and the Dali alteco c-1

Are Atmos or height speakers any different from regular speakers?

MaSh
When it comes to front heights the speaker position and angle is very important to get the overhead effects. Height speakers due to their shape make it easy compared to the regular speakers.

When it comes to front heights the speaker position and angle is very important to get the overhead effects. Height speakers due to their shape make it easy compared to the regular speakers.
Oh okay. What about speaker themselves? Does it make a difference if regular speakers are used as height or overhead speakers ?

MaSh

Oh okay. What about speaker themselves? Does it make a difference if regular speakers are used as height or overhead speakers ?

MaSh
If u can angle and position regular speakers its the same as Atmos or height speakers interms of performance

Last edited:

JBL control 1 is an inexpensive and better choice as it has threaded hole mounts to mount on ceiling with external brackets..

If you were to use JBL control 1 in the marked position you will need to use them as "Front heights" in the AVR, and a supported Atmos layout..

I see you already have false ceiling. In that case getting an in-ceiling speaker from any brand and you need to make small cutout in ceiling and flush mount it.. Would be aesthetically good.. You need to position these in-ceiling speakers in-between your fronts & surrounds and use them as "Top middle" speakers..

You can also use JBL control 1 speakers mounted to ceiling with external brackets as use them " Top middle".

I would suggest you to take the in-ceiling speaker route if you can accommodate that..

It should give you a decent sound stage but not the best of atmos. But for front heights please don't go for JBL control one. Check the SVS prime elevation and the Dali alteco c-1
I am not fully sure if ATMOS /Neural:X will yield what I think it will so not inclined to spend much.
If it does, I can always upgrade later and move the JBL to replace my sad outdoor Yamahas :)

JBL control 1 is an inexpensive and better choice as it has threaded hole mounts to mount on ceiling with external brackets..

If you were to use JBL control 1 in the marked position you will need to use them as "Front heights" in the AVR, and a supported Atmos layout..

I see you already have false ceiling. In that case getting an in-ceiling speaker from any brand and you need to make small cutout in ceiling and flush mount it.. Would be aesthetically good.. You need to position these in-ceiling speakers in-between your fronts & surrounds and use them as "Top middle" speakers..

You can also use JBL control 1 speakers mounted to ceiling with external brackets as use them " Top middle".

I would suggest you to take the in-ceiling speaker route if you can accommodate that..
Noted the point on the setting elangoas.
There is no false ceiling so the in-ceiling route is not possible.
The only alternative is to mount them as rear heights which will get them closer to the MLP but will also considerably increase the wiring hassles .

There is no false ceiling so the in-ceiling route is not possible.

Oh k. From the images, it looked like there was a false ceiling.. Never mind.

The only alternative is to mount them as rear heights which will get them closer to the MLP but will also considerably increase the wiring hassles .

If you can use external brackets, mount them to ceiling facing your listening position.. Try to mount the speakers on ceiling slightly ahead of your listening position.. This should give you good feel of height effects..

If mounting to ceiling is not feasible, then mounting on either front wall / rear wall is the choice, angled towards your listening position..

I recall Andrew Jones making a design of Atmos speakers which were Floor Standers and Bookshelf ones which had speakers angled at 45 - 50% so that sound hits the ceiling and you get the atmos effect (ELITE series Pioneer)

KEF, Jamo, Klipsch also did something like that......

If you want to avoid wire clutter and mounting.....you can try to keep 2 speakers(borrow if possible) on top of the existing Floorstanding fronts and connect them as Atmos.......(angle them 45 to 50 to hit the center of ceiling space) and check if you are able to get any difference / Atmos effects....if it works then invest in speakers which can be placed on the Front speakers facing top ceiling side...

Attachments

• 1558586768411.png
    1558586768411.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1558586847618.png
    1558586847618.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 18

View attachment 35896

Here's my 2c.
I'm someone who mounted front heights in the exact same position as you've indicated and then moved them to right above my head (Top Middle configuration). The difference between the two is substantial. Cheap speakers for Atmos is what I did as well (Cambridge Audio Minx Min12 cubes), and they make their presence felt in spades.

I am using JBL Control 1 as side surrounds and pretty happy with its performance. The package comes with wall mount and you can rotate and angle as per your need for the height channel. The wall mount may not look so sturdy, but is doing the duty.

Congratulations. The only speakers that should be expensive are the front three and the subwoofer. Rest all in my opinion should be cheap with the capability to go LOUD, really loud. Loudness makes those wooshes , swishes, gun shots etc really stand out.

MaSh

I agree with the fact that only the front three and subwoofer(s) should be expensive. But you don't need the surrounds to be truly loud, they just need to be calibrated well - either manually with a mic or an auto calibration!

Ordered them for an effective price of 5500/-
Looking forward to trying out ATMOS now

From this point, a carpenter or urbanclap is your best friend to overhead mount those puppies!

My favorite Atmos test tracks are:
- Dolby Atmos demos (leaf etc)
- Ready Player One
- Blade Runner 2049
- Altered Carbon on Netflix

From this point, a carpenter or urbanclap is your best friend to overhead mount those puppies!

My favorite Atmos test tracks are:
- Dolby Atmos demos (leaf etc)
- Ready Player One
- Blade Runner 2049
- Altered Carbon on Netflix
Nah, don't think I need a carpenter or third party to mount these
These are small speakers and should be mountable on regular drill-holes and plastic studs
The wires can be routed via plastic channels on the side of the beams so that WAF can be managed without any ducting work.

On your prev point on speakers, couldn't agree more

I agree with the fact that only the front three and subwoofer(s) should be expensive. But you don't need the surrounds to be truly loud, they just need to be calibrated well - either manually with a mic or an auto calibration!
Calibrated absolutely, however just like many have their centre a couple of db higher, I like my surrounds a few more db higher along with a few more simple tweaks.

MaSh

Back