JBL ES250PW subwoofer CLUB

Flash

With the onslaught of so many JBL ES250PW Subwoofers being ordered from Amazon.de and Indian shores alike.
I feel it requires a dedicated thread to discus

Feedback/Review,

Performance,

Integration,

Problems / Failures,

Pictures

etc etc.

Last edited:
About time, I was speaking to madhu_7 this morning and mentioned we should start ownership thread after we receive the sub. You are like Professor Charles Francis Xavier.

About time, I was speaking to madhu_7 this morning and mentioned we should start ownership thread after we receive the sub. You are like Professor Charles Francis Xavier.

lol .. I have been mum about the JBL 250ES for a couple of months now.
I don't remember ever mentioning that I had it.
Except for one pic next to the Rythmik

You've got eagle eyes Kittu.:yahoo:

Last edited:
Unboxing : Courtesy Youtube

PART - I

[youtube]gNTyXhlBoeQ[/youtube]

PART - II

[youtube]eVaYoxB1LPM[/youtube]

:lol: The JBL ES250PW Subwoofers has taken the Hi Fi vision forum by STORM...
Cant wait to lay my hands on em.....:licklips:

:lol: The JBL ES250PW Subwoofers has taken the Hi Fi vision forum by STORM...
Cant wait to lay my hands on em.....:licklips:

Kittu setting the ball rolling what started as a little inquiry became an all out shopping orgy. :licklips:

With the onslaught of so many JBL ES250PW Subwoofers being ordered from Amazon.de and Indian shores alike.
I feel it requires a dedicated thread to discus

Feedback/Review,

Performance,

Integration,

Problems / Failures,

Pictures

etc etc.

Hi,

posting pictures of my new sub bought...

Guys hows JBL es250 performace as compared to Velodyne impact 10/12 or Klipsch 450 ?
You all must have taken keen audition of many subs. So what are your views on this sub.
I am interested to go along and order JBL from Amazone.de. kindly bolster my decision !!!

Kittu & Vprasad hav recieved their subs and Madhu and myself are yet to recieve it next week.. and Flash already owns one.. so i think they will be able to giv u their reviews..

Last edited:
I've had the the JBLES250 for several months now. However I don't want to sing praises. As i have been doing it by myself.

Let the new owners Chip in and I will add my take on it

Guys hows JBL es250 performace as compared to Velodyne impact 10/12 or Klipsch 450 ?
You all must have taken keen audition of many subs. So what are your views on this sub.
I am interested to go along and order JBL from Amazone.de. kindly bolster my decision !!!

When my hunt for SUB started , i posted in the forum that i am a BASSHEAD and the first SUB Flash and Kittu suggested me was JBL 250. But since it was way beyond my budget settled for klipsh sw 450.
But when this offer from AMAZON turned up, Blindly went ahead and ordered based on flash and kittu s input s and also bit of reviews online...
Worth taking a plunge...:)
I am waiting for my SUB...expected to delivered on 7th March
PS: Speak to members who have received their SUBS and drooling, will surely help u make a decision

After much of a thought, finally went ahead and ordered 250 today from Amazon. earlier I had selected and "SAVED FOR LATER" option in the buying cart. Finally when I placed the order, it said can't be shipped to the address.
Then again went to subwoofer section, selected the product(here price is 261 compared to 259 earlier). Added and voila, order confirmed. Expected to reach by March 7th.
I am already having wharfedale sw150, really "HAPPY" about the performance.. Now want to see whether the new one will"DELIGHT" me...

Cofirmation mail from Amazon

Versand: Internationale Express-Zustellung
Artikel: EUR 220,15
Verpackung & Versand: EUR 40,00
------
Gesamtsumme ohne MwSt.: EUR 260,15
MwSt.: EUR 0,00
Vorauszahlung der Importgebhr: EUR 60,65
------
Gesamtbetrag: EUR 320,80

Lieferung voraussichtlich: 7. Mrz 2012 - 19. Mrz 2012
1 "JBL ES 250 P Aktiver Subwoofer mit Funkansteuerung (400 Watt) kirsche"
Elektronik; EUR 261,98

Guide on how to setup the JBL ES250PW

Considering the sub will be used primarily with a AVR. I will only discus this

A very simple process to intially integrate it

For the Initial test - ""Do not use the Wireless"" module as yet

Run an RCA from the LFE of the AVR to the LFE input on the sub.
Make sure that the Sub and AVR is turned off - this is to ensure that there is no loud noises when initial RCA contact has been made.

Set the level of the subwoofer on the plate amp of the subwoofer at 30% (9 oclock or 10 oclock position
Do not fiddle with the phase 0 -180 as yet
Crossover on the sub plate amp set it as maximum 150hz

Switch on the AVR and the JBL Sub.
Do not use the AVR's calibration tools as yet.
Enter the setup menu
Use manual setup and set the front speakers as small, if you have other speakers such as center surrounds set them all on small.
And Subwoofer as "YES or " ON .. depending on which AVR you have, since they all have different terminologies
Set the crossover on the individual speakers at 80hz or if you AVR does support setting individual speaker crossovers. Set the crossover of the Subwoofer on the AVR as 80hz. This will automatically set freq of all the speakers at 80hz and anything below will go to the subwoofer

Put on a bass heavy track of your choice. Preferably an audio track which has a lot of bass freq in the 40 - 80 hz range "British Dubstep" tracks have a lot of bass beats through the entire song. So a good option for initial setup to see if everything works.
You may find that there is no cannot hear or feel the bass.
At this point move the phase knob on the subwoofer plate amp on the rear to see at which position you get the most amount of bass.
"" This would be better if there is someone else in the room and you are sitting in the listening position "" you will find a drop or gain in bass output with your counterpart rotating the knob. Stop when the bass output of the subwoofer is at its loudest
HOWEVER

Subwoofer room placement is very important. with incorrect placement you may find that there is a null in bass where you are sitting and a peak in the middle of the room. you will have to fiddle with proper placement. Use the Subwoofer crawl. Google it or a youtube video - Alan loft from Axiom Audio has explained it very well

Once the subwoofer is position at the optimum place. you can then go ahead and use if the wireless module.
Check if it gets signal , if it does not work due to interferecne from other equipment in the house Change the channels on the wireless module and plate amp on the subwoofer till it receives a signal.

You can now. use YPAO, Audessy etc room correction for proper integration with your speakers and room.
However irrespective if you have large FS or bookshelves. Always set the other speakers as small or cut of fequencies going to the speakers. this is to ensure both the speakers and sub are not playing the same frequencies. this will avoid an overlap of freq of both the speaker and sub playing the same freq.

Once integrated .... ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY

Thanks for the set up wizard.

One more doubt here. How can I connect 2 subs(JBL & Wharf) at the same time? My AVR is 2310. It has only one pre out.I want to use both at the same time to enhance the overall BASS effect.

Thanks for the set up wizard.

One more doubt here. How can I connect 2 subs(JBL & Wharf) at the same time? My AVR is 2310. It has only one pre out.I want to use both at the same time to enhance the overall BASS effect.

Use a Y jack adaptor

Guide on how to setup the JBL ES250PW

Run an RCA from the LFE of the AVR to the LFE input on the sub.

Crossover on the sub plate amp set it as maximum 150hz

when you are using LFE in of the SUB, you are using filtered signal by using the crossover of your AVR, so naturally SUB crossover needn't be touched

Surprisingly this SUB doesn't have a speaker level input, so if you want to use the SUB crossover you have to run a standard rca (L,R) to feed the SUB with unfiltered line level signal, for stereo amps surely one can use the tape loop if nothing else available, but I am not sure for a AVR

though its rather debatable as which SUB input to be used, my take is for entry level AVRs one should go ahead with the SUB Xover while with high end AVR LFE can be the better choice.

my experience in 2 channel set up says the following
I use speaker level input from HK 3490 to Polk PSW 110 to JBL ES80, I have observed in doing so the FS drivers perform better as they don't have to go below 80Hz (I prefer that point).

In case of line-level input to the SUB, the plate amp need to be kept at a low gain since the low end is resolved by FS and SUB it becomes over powering.

As most of you are thinking of movies, my points may not seem important to you, but think of using the SUB for music as well with its Xover working. A 12" 400W SUB will surely delight you with accurate, strong bass notes and ambient effects.

all the best to all the new owners, fantastic purchase

Arnab

After long thoughts and provocations I have ordered JBL 250 es p from Amazon.de . Its on way to India and will reach hopefully by 10th March.
Amount charged from credit card is Rs. 21121.
Thanks every body for their reviews.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back