• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

For Sale Jeff Rowland Capri Preamplifier

Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series
Status
Not open for further replies.

flanker.r

For sale is my Jeff Rowland Capri Preamplifier. The preamp is in excellent condition both cosmetically and functionally. The unit has been used only in a dark, dust free, childfree, air conditioned dedicated listening room through its life which would be max 150-175 Hrs.

Product Details

Capri

The off late trend of customary review link

Jeff Rowland Capri and Model 102 AudioEnz

HiFi Unlimited: A Small Wonder! Jeff Rowland Capri Pre Amp.

It comes with the original double box, Remote and User manual. It would not be an exaggeration to say that this is the best pre-amplifier at even 3 times the price it commands as new. Hence at the asking price it is a killer deal.

Condition : 10/10 (Perfect and without a blemish)
Price : 1.6 L
Colour : Black
Voltage : 220V

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.
Last edited:

flanker.r

The Jeff Rowland got sold but almost got taken away from me by a small margin!

The selling of this particular piece of equipment has made me go through an experience that has been so frustrating and has taught me several lessons (it is not that I am new to using the classified section of our forum). It has always been the buyer who had to be extremely cautious while buying any gear. In my case the roles got completely reversed. I, the seller who had a faultless, mint, rare and valuable piece of equipment literally had it taken away from me by a buyer who happened to see the For Salead here and in hifiads.com. Read on for more ..

Although I had 4-5 people who were interested in the Capri, I honored the etiquette of the forum and kept the other buyers in queue until the first person dropped out. The first person was one Mr Rodrick from Mumbai who expressed interest in the Capri. After due negotiations, the price was fixed at 1.4 lacs. He sounded like a genuine audiophile and since I was adamant that I would not sell it to any dealer I accepted the said price. Due to my travel schedule, we could not meet for almost a month. He insisted that he would travel to Chennai, check out the amp and take it. He requested that I bear 50% of his ticket (i.e Rs 5000) and I agreed. So price was agreed as 1.35 lacs now. He landed up one Saturday (10th Sep 2016) and requested that I pick him from Airport as he did not know Chennai and had read on the net that Auto drivers fleece customers in Chennai and hence did not want to travel to my place in an Auto. I felt it is not safe for him to travel in an unknown city especially since he would be carrying cash and picked him up from the airport.

He landed on Saturday on the 10th at 13:00 Hrs. After the customary greetings the first thing I asked was when was his return flight as the hifi show was happening nearby and wanted to visit it. He said 7 PM and I decided against going to the show as there might not be time. Lunch on the way and we reached home by 14.15 hrs. Got to show him the Capri straight away, connected it to my main system and tested it. satisfied he asked me to pack it. he wanted me to show him the rest of my system and wanted me to demo to him a benchmark DAC that he had no plans of buying. So basically till about 17:00 hrs he wanted me to show him different cables, DACs, play his CD on my CD player, etc. I repeatedly told him it was getting late for his flight and that he should start.

Come payment time and he says he hasnt carried any cash and wants me to accept a cheque. I was taken aback! I politely refused. He immediately said he would do an NEFT but I told him there would be a limit and he cant transfer. He said he could do an RTGS for min 2 lacs and that I give him the balance back. The balance cash too was kept ready. He tried doing something on his laptop , got my account details and claimed an RTGS for 2 lacs was done. No screenshot, no SMS, no reference code or no transaction number! He guarantees me that Monday morning 9:00 AM I will get the credit.
All this happens so fast and I tell him he is getting late for his flight. Ask him to take a chill pill and politely tell him to leave the amp and go and that I will courier it on Monday after the funds transfer happens. He acts immaturely saying he came all the way for this and cannnot go back empty handed and is now almost shedding tears. He questions me what he could do if I cheat him and do not send him the amp after the money is credited?

He asks me not to look at him like a fellow on the road (to quote exact words) and that I can trust him. Now he has me in a fix. What if he is saying the truth? What if he is a honest person. What if the money comes to me account on Monday morning and I have not given him the amp. I decide I cant treat a budding audiophile like this and decide to put the onus on me to take the risk, call a taxi give the amp to him and bid him goodbye. I dont have his address, do not know where he works, I do not have anything to even verify his credentials. He is not even a hifivision member . Dont even know if he is from Mumbai. Thinking of it now, truly crazy what all we do for anyone who claims he is an audiophile.

He misses his flight because he stated late and books another flight for Rs 10K more calls me from the airport. I tell him its ok and that I will make up for his loss by giving him some high end cables that I have as spare and do not use as he did not have balanced interconnects.

Come Monday morning and its 10.30 AM and sign of the deposit. Keep trying his phone the whole day only to have it answered by 4 PM and he will check with the bank. He scares me by saying he could have refused to pick up the phone and that I could not have done anything so essentially meant I need to now listen to his terms if I want the money. So now he transfers money at his own pace. Meanwhile he has already got a cheque from me for the 65K refund of the 2 Lacs RTGS he claimed to have done on Saturday. So basically I had given him the equipment and a cheque for 65K. I know u must be thinking I have to be the craziest guy. But its true. I did this!

He transfers 30K on Monday evening. Another 50K on Tue. Absolute silence and no transfer on Wed. when I send a message asking why he had not transferred and that if he had added me as a beneficiary the day he took the amp which is what he claimed he could have transferred in a single shot as the transfer limits would have been over. Now his seasoned stroke of genius comes into play. He says I doubted him and sent a message so he was going to deduct 10K which was the flight fare. My God ! what could I do? This guy was almost holding me at gunpoint. He again says I still have a choice not to pay you up fully. So be happy I am doing this. Now he asks if I have the warranty card and original power chord (which are not mentioned anywhere in my sale thread and clearly not part of the sale) and says since I do not have these (this is inspite of giving him 2 high quality power chords) he has every right to deduct the amount.

So I was forced to part with the Capri for 1.25 Lacs. It is a huge loss at that price but I am only thankful that I got atleast that. Can always console myself saying what would I have done if it had got burnt, got stolen , etc. but lesson learnt do not trust anyone even if he Claims to be an audiophile. Consider that 10K to be a small price paid for a big lesson learnt. Hence Capri sold, no sign of the cheque I gave which he claims he has destroyed, but still hasnt sent me photo of destroyed cheque as asked.

I am posting this here so that other members are aware of such practices and know such people beforehand. I also came to know that he has been using the hifiads section to sell his stuff online. His name name is Rodrick and his phone number is 98207 35605 . So beware !

DALI IKON 6 MK II - HiFiADS.com

Attachments

• rodrick ad.jpg
    rodrick ad.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 385

flanker.r

Amazed by the response of the community. I have taken the steps as advised by members here. People have asked me to post photographs of the person. Unfortunately, I do not have any. Even his whatsapp profile photo is blank.

So many people saying they have had similar experiences. Maybe we should start a separate thread for this.

Anyway closing the thread now as the item is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.