Just another setup(OptomaHD20, Dali Concept6, RXV571) from just another guy...

m.a.sara

Hi,

Well,my HT was setup recently and would like share a few good things/pain points that I went in executing it in chronological order.

Conduits Made:
During my house construction that started JUly 2011, I had planned for a dedicated HT room with dimensions 20x13 and conduits for 7.1 system were made accordingly. DNI home theatre, Bellandur (Alex) suggested for the placements of speakers and conduits were made accordingly. Right now having only 5.1 setup.

False Ceiling/Wooden flooring:
Later when the room was ready, false ceiling (around 45Rs/sqft for PoP) was made with by a person referred by wooden flooring person. It has 2 levels, the area near screen at a lowere level by 1 ft that the seating area. This guy took more time than promised but overall it came good. I painted the ceiling with same color as for walls, premium emulsion. Next time I will go for a little dark shade when I repaint. And the distance at which PJ mount will come (according the my PJ and screen size that I wanted) was marked while doing the false ceiling.

Wooden flooring was done only for HT room, approx cost 100Rs/Sqft(Kesar Implex, Koramangala). Brand is Krono. Service/Installation was very good for flooring.

Screen size?

When I checked at demo rooms of DNI, I thought the size of 8ft(width) will be good for my 13ft width room. But Harish (DNI) suggestd to go with 10ft. I am glad I chose 10ft as it gives me a wow factor when compared with 8ft.

Screen frames/HT rack:
While doing the wood work for my home, the same carpenter made these as well. DNI helped my carpenter to make rack and the screen frame (for 10ft width, aspect ratio 16:9)

AVR:

In Mar 2012, bought yamaha rxv 571 from here when was in sweden - En hemmabio frn hembiobutiken - vcker liv i ditt hem!

My requirements were

- 7.1 system
- 80% movies

I had onkyo,yamaha, denon in my mind earlier and would have bought any of it if they were available for anything less than 20k. And the yammy i bought was available for 18.5k in this place and just grabbed it :). This was my first purchase of my HT system!

So after the room was made ready by June 2012, then I had to buy the equipments. By this time I only had my amp(yammy rxv 571). I wanted to buy 5.1 (heco + JBL sub :licklips) from amazon.de but decided against it as the prices have gone up by the time I was ready to buy speakers.

Projector:

Optoma HD20 sourced from amazon.com for 815$ (ordered around June 2012) and hand carried by my relative.
- He removed the original packing/covered with clothes and reached safely without any issues

Chose HD20 just based on its price/performance and after seeing many satisfied users in this forum :).

Along with the PJ bought following from amazon.

PJ mount(35$)
Redirecting

This mount is just ok. When i cover the lens with the its lid, sometimes the mount's position is disturbed and I need to adjust it manually. Not frequently but only sometimes.

35 ft HDMI cable (20$)
Amazon.com: Aurum Ultra Series High Speed HDMI Cable (35 feet) - CL3 Rated for In-wall Installation - Supports 3D, Ethernet and Audio Return [Newest Version] - 35 feet: Electronics

This was not working! It was giving me some lines when it was connected to PJ. I should have tested this cable with PJ before placing it inside the conduits. I missed that and I had to take it out and put another HDMI(10k for 10m profigold from DNI) inside the conduit. cost me 2-3 anxious hours!!. I was not patient enough to order from monoprice or try locally costing around 2-3k.As everything was ready, just bought profigold from DNI but definitely not liking its price. And its HDMI 1.3 and not even 1.4!!. But video quality is very good.

WDlivehub (185$ i think)

No issues so far. It's playing 4gb-12gb mkv's without any issues.

Speakers:

I was eyeing on amazon.de for Heco + JBL sub combination. But after the increased price, I decided to buy lcoally in bangalore.

Took my AVR and paired with Polk RTI 300 - sound was little harsh but I liked it. Tried with PSW110 and PSW125, liked the later better. This experiment was done at uniquesys (near kundanahalli gate). I requested for the same polk set from DNI but they are not dealing with fronts anymore (only surrounds/sub). They suggested for Dali (bcos that's the only one they deal apart from Pioneer). I paired my AVR with dali zenzor in one of their demo rooms and again paired with concept 6. I felt concept giving a wider sound than zenzor and went for it.

Screen:

From DNI's demo room, I have already finalized the ones I would go for. It was a 10ft(width) logica. Since it is in a light controlled room and did not have budget for costing 20k+ screens, I went for this one costing around 10k.

Installation:

Placing the screen and connecting the speakers was done by DNI. Took their carpenter's help for covering the screen frames with leather material(around 300rs/m). The initially set up wooden frames were removed and covered with black leather. Then frames were again placed as it was before. Those guys littered the wooden flooring with fevicol which i did not like. But after cleaing with damp cloth it went off.

The first reaction after seeing such a huge image was amazing! I felt all the efforts made and cost involved was pretty much worth!!

I also did the wiring of coaxial cabling just before the installation of screens for future DTH connection.

I will write about the performance of the systems individually in the coming weeks. You are welcome to take a look/watch a movie, if you are in the process of building a HT :).

Rg,
Saravanan

Yes Georgeo, You along with other FM's owning HD20 are the success story reasons why I went the same without thinking much! :)

Love the clean look. Very nice effort and the result shows.

Can't help with few suggestions though.
Pull out the front left and right speaker a bit so that the face of speaker is infront of the cabinet next to it, not behind. You don't want the cabinet reflecting the sound.

Another one - you have a very nice border around screen. Looks like velvet and it will absorb everything. Except the bottom of the screen. The cabinet there will reflect and may bother you. If it does, just cover the top of cabinet with velvet as well. I had speakers below screen and the reflections used to bother me a lot.

Very nice theater and congratulations on your theater + new home.

Love the clean look. Very nice effort and the result shows.

Can't help with few suggestions though.
Pull out the front left and right speaker a bit so that the face of speaker is infront of the cabinet next to it, not behind. You don't want the cabinet reflecting the sound.

Another one - you have a very nice border around screen. Looks like velvet and it will absorb everything. Except the bottom of the screen. The cabinet there will reflect and may bother you. If it does, just cover the top of cabinet with velvet as well. I had speakers below screen and the reflections used to bother me a lot.

Very nice theater and congratulations on your theater + new home.

Thanks Manoj for suggestions. actually, I keep them out while listening. Not much difference though!. and the centre channel makes a lot of difference if I just keep the slide open. Have to try listening by taking the centre completely out of the rack..

they are not velvet but leather(mix of leather/rexin).

WOW ... Saravanan, lots of planning and efforts have gone in building your HT. Fantastic setup..now immerse yourself in a bliss. Don't forget to buy lazyboy brand couches.

Cheers.

Congrats !!!! Awesome build and very clean setup. What about acoustic treatment? Are you planning for it?

Not for now. My idea as was to listen to this setup for a few months and understand what is missing - then plan for acoustics, if needed later.

I am still in the honeymoon period I think,with everything in bliss mode and not seeing any room for improvement:licklips:, so no plans for acoustics for next 6 months.

Nice setup! Congratulations on the same. I am in the process of building my home and looks like my basement HT room is about the same size as yours :)

My construction is still in very preliminary state and will inch towards completion early 2014.

Can you let me know where you are put up in Bangalore, if that is ok with you?

Regards,
S.

Nice setup! Congratulations on the same. I am in the process of building my home and looks like my basement HT room is about the same size as yours :)

My construction is still in very preliminary state and will inch towards completion early 2014.

Can you let me know where you are put up in Bangalore, if that is ok with you?

Regards,
S.

Thanks!
PM'd you the details.

How much did it cost you overall for this setup.I am speaking to the same guy harish for the same set up.Did he recommend the carpentar & the interior guy?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back