Just prevented a blunder, now please suggest (Bose Alternatives) !

alcy

I received a call from my father asking me which Bose home theater should he go for. The options were like: one costs 61k, and the other 76k. According to him, he couldn't notice a difference between the two and wanted my opinion.

Well, of course I didn't want to take any uninformed decision, and especially did not want to go for Bose having read all the bad things about Bose on almost all major tech forums.

So, after I strongly disapproved, he decided to not go for it. But, I don't know of the alternatives. He's pretty much intent on having a good home theater system now, and I need suggestions from you folks.

I think we'll be happy with a budget of 50-60k. This is my first venture into home theater systems, so every suggestion is welcome.

Few notes:
1. Small room, so I'll settle for a 5.1 system.
2. Preferences- Movies: 40% , Music:60% (No games)
3. Will be building from scratch, so HTiB is not a priority.

So, which AV receiver/DVD-Player/Speakers combo would be ideal according to you folks ?

And of course, I'd like a system that easily beats/compares well with Bose systems, so that my dad isn't pissed off with my decisions !

Thanks. :)

Hi alcy, good you steered your dad away from bose.
Re the HT I'll post a couple of reccs later today.
Meanwhile,plz do go thru the HT sub forum-you may well find some answers all by yourself!

First HT, budget ~60k

I have got a few questions and need your help. I am trying to shortlist the components for the system, please provide your feedback and suggestions:

1. AV Receiver:

Interested in Onkyo 307/507, Denon 1610, Marantz Sr4003 or Sr5003.

Now, I know these are low to mid-end receivers, but I have no clue about their actual price in rupees. So, suggestions & details in this regard needed. And of course a little pointer about dealers in Delhi is also welcome.

2. Speakers/sub woofers:

I am really lost here. The possibilities and brands seem endless, I could do with quite some help in this section ! :eek:

3. DVD/Blu-Ray player:

Blu-Ray is not a priority, but if there's a decent(read cheap) player that will just do the job, then that would be ideal.

Thanks for reading, hoping to hear your suggestions.

Cheers. :)

EDIT: Room size is 12x12, and I think 5.1 would also be overkill. Also, since me and my dad prefer music over movies, hence suggestions for 2.1 systems are also welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better audio also many times means more headache and complexity. Bose does have the plug 'n' play factor going for it though....only distant advantage I can think of. Might actually NOT be a bad idea for your father. For you, definitely not the way to go ;)

Just something to think about.

i would agree with shaizada on this. for 50-60 K bose is a good alternative if you want simplicity of connection and physically small and easily place-able speakers.from what I have heard a JM Labs Sib-Cub OR a Mirage omnisat or the KEF eggs set with a denon/marantz/onkyo etc AVR iare also very good and even better..but in india would end up much more expensive

Last edited:
an entry level AVR and DVD player from NAD/MARANTZ/DENON/YAMAHA/CA.
a 5.1 channel 'cinema package' from WHARFEDALE/JAMO
decent inter connects and speaker cables

Last edited:
Re: First HT, budget ~60k

Thats a smart choice to avoid a 5.1 setup. And for all you know, u dont need a subwoofer for a 12x12 room, when priority is music. Had u said 70percent for movies, then we cud hv advised a small sub as well. Hence making it a 2.1. But Stereo set up will be more appropriate in this case, so we can leave the woofer quite easily.

I have exactly same size of the room with two bookshelf speakers and boy they are enuf to make my neighbors ring the door bell!

Shaizada's advice seems senseful froma perspective which he has well put. But if dad can handle a few power buttons and a popcorn basket in his lap ..well then read on the suggestions u get from everyone:

I shall suggest the following combo:
- Marantz 5003, 6003 (audio video receiver). I will avoid Onkyo, cause i find them high on bass usually and Marantz avr fairly doubles up as a GOOD choice for audio, hence is a double deal ..for music + movies.

- A Blue Ray/DVD player of choice, from the likes of Panasonic, Sony.

- Book shelf speakers are enuf for the room ..really! You dont need to block the space by getting the large speakers occupying space to justify a systems presence in the room. Quality bookshelf speakers shall do u good here.
You can pick from a ranges of Quad's book shelf speakers - 11L2 or 12L2(slightly bigger than 11L2 and offer more Bass. My room has 11L2 and they do very very good for the room size).
You can also check Bookshelf speakers from Wharfedale.. this brand shall give an option to pick from 3-4 kinds of Bookshelves, per ur room size, budget and the type of sonic output u will prefer.

- Lastly you 'may' happily avoid or would want to add a Marantz CD player ..which can be used to play music and will give a much distinguished music reproduction than running a cd via a DvD player.

if u are in West Delhi, u are welcome to hear the speakers at my home in Janakpuri, to get an idea. My personal suggestion of a setup will be :
- SR 5003 + PIONEER DVD PLAYER + QUAD 11L2 + MARANTZ CD PLAYER (6002 OR 6003)... This all shud be within 65-70k.

Also, for precise pricing on above suggestions or more options, you can talk to 'one of' the most fair and trusted dealers we have in Delhi. His name is Denny Joseph @ 9999016124. He has his HIFI Equipment gallery at Dwarka. I have had all my equipments from him and found him very fair for a dealer by Delhi's standards. Yet there are more names that friends can suggest as an option.

Cheers.

Cambridge Audio sirocco 5.1 set @ 45
Denon 1610 AVR - 25

Comes to 70 but you get a v nice setup that will possibly sound better than most 5.1 htib's at that price level.

Alcy,

My recco :

AVR - Denon 1610 is available for aprox Rs 25 K

DVD Player - can get a decent Philips for aprox Rs 5 K

Speakers - this leaves you Rs 30K for speakers. Speakers make a difference. Suggest you audition some.

A good place to start is ProFX. Their dealers are listed on their website : Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions
You can audition the Denon 1610 with Polk and KEF speakers at ProFX. The Polk TSi line is reasonably priced.

If you go for a stereo setup, at the same budget you can get much better quality.

Marantz Nr1501 AVR+Pioneer DV220+CA Sirocco package would be my suggestion.The whole thing would cost about Rs.70k, but would give you far better music and movies.
Titus

One of the better options available today is a Denon 1909 with a 5.1 speaker set from Q-Acoustics. This may go beyond your budget, but anything lower will mean a drastic reduction in quality of sound. The QA speakers will deliver a large soundstage with sound that sound impossible from speakers of that size. And the 1909 will decode all your HD audio as well as handle Blu-Ray requirements well.

In terms of receiver another option you can look for is Onkyo 607. Forget the Yamaha this year. An equivalent model from Marantz will be the 5004.

Cheers

Damn! Seems my response vanished that i posted this morning, possibly posting via mobile had issues.

Anyhow. Lets do it again.

- Foremost i second Shaizada on the view point like other fellow members.

Do u think that will work for him, per his liking? If not then we can discuss at length.

I) Very wise of you to opt out of 5.1, for a room of that size, it will not be needed and also when preference is music. Going further you dont need a '.1' either ..i.e. The subwoofer. I have room of same size and i have bookshelf speakers only which are good enuf to make neighbors ring my door bell. So lets keep woofer aside and build a system w.r.t stereo setup which acts Wonderfully for movies too.

II) AVR
Marantz as a brand is known to be very musical. So makes sense that u invest in here observing your preferences. Pick any AVR like as u suggest SR 5003 or similar from Marantz series. For a room size of 12x12 that shall work just perfect.
I am avoiding Onkyo as a n option,as its known to heat up and also may deliver more bass than needed.
*Approx budget 20-25k

III) DVD Player
Pioneer DVD - 4k approx
Panasonic, Sony Blue Ray players - 12-25k
Absolutely your choice to pick what u like best.
*I suggest - Pioneer DVD

IV) CD PLAYER (optional)
You can add a decent CD player from Marantz if you shall listen more of music. The sound quality from a dedicated CD player will beat any dvd player by quite a margin.
*approx 16k

V) SPEAKERS
If you can resist then avoid Tower speakers which shall just clutter the room and opt for good quality bookshelf speakers to assist deliver quality music and sound while watching movies. (Dont worry, these bookshelves pack in sufficient Bass for this roomsize we have).

I have 11L2 from 'QUAD' ..which are great and had recently been picked as the value for money speakers out of quite a few speakers we auditioned at Delhi Hifi meet up. These should cost you about 28k-30 approx. Other options include bookshelf speakers from 'Wharfedale' which will have a few options on bookshelf speakers to enable you pick from.

You can talk to Denny of Bass and Treble, Dwarka. He has his hifigallery there. And if you are around, you are most welcome to listen the Quad11L2 at my home in Janakpuri.

For detailed pricing and more options to audition, you may talk to Denny on below listed details:

BASS & TREBLE
Denny - 9999016124

Cheers
Sid

I also strongly feel that your father should go for the Bose since the pros are but not the 321:

1)it is plug and play
2)Delivers better sound performance than comparable HTIBs
3) Your father may not have the time/inclination to set up the component based system optimally
4)You would be saved of those phone calls telling you that he is doing everything right but the sound is not there and you are to blame for that as you suggested this in the first place.
5) For the system suggested by you i feel that you are talking about the 321 system from Bose
6) If this is the case I would suggest a good stereo amp with a pair of bookshelves(because of size) and an DVD player /BD player with good audio ciruits which would be able to fit into your budget and give your better vfm than the bose as you would then enjoy the music and movies. Add a sub later to increase the thump during movies.

CorElement, I have moved that post to General ChitChat. So I am modifying your comment here.

Thanks,

Venkat

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a Pioneer VSX 519VK + Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ (5.1) for a room size 15' x 11'.

Initially, was thinking that I would end up with 70:30 (movie:music), but the reverse is the current status. The room has a fair amount of furniture, so FS was out of the question. Even BS would have been tough. So, went in for the satellites.

Must say, it was the right choice. No 'boom' happening even if I hear at 'loud' setting. Crystal clear sound reproduction. Hooked on to the FM channels and Philips DVD for listening to the MP3s and CDs. Movies too come out great, but music is a shade better. Thankfully, the bass is a bit less, the way I like it.

Posted pics at "Amplifier for vintage Sony speakers" ... input to search mode.

I am not a pro .... but had checked out Denon 1610, Yamaha 465 other than the Pioneer. There are no clear reviews on Pioneer in this site. Frankly, am totally satisfied with its performance. Is the Pioneer not good enough, as I don't see any mention of it?

Am waiting for Denny to provide the Norge 1000 Concerto Gold amp to connect to the multizone out of the Pioneer AVR. This would feed the old Sony tower speakers (bought in 1989), now set up in the other room. Hopefully, would be done by this weekend.

Hey Buddy

Nice to know, that you are more interested in getting up a Home Theatre, buidling it up from scratch, and not hanging around HTiBs Crap...

See in for Rs.60K, get a good amplifier, a good pair of Speakers, a Subwoofer and ofcoarse just dont forget to get some nice cables...

Option 01 -

Denon - 1910(Rs.45K) / 1610(Rs.30K)(if only 5.1 and all bookshelves) or Yamaha 865(Rs.45K Approx. Selling Price) / 665(Rs.35K Approx. Selling Price)

Q Acoustics 2000 Series - 2010(Rs.12.5K)(BS) + 2070s(Rs.24K)(Sub)
Q Acoustics - 2000 Series

QED - 42 Strands Cable - 60mtrs(For complete HT Room)(Rs.90per mtr)

Approx. Startup Total will be Rs.70K, depending on the negotiations with the Local Dealer.

Option 02 -

Denon - 1610(Rs.30K) or Yamaha - 665(Rs.35K Approx. Selling Price)

Q.A.V. - 3.1 System - Rs.68,000 including Left Center Right Rears & Sub.
Q.A.V. 5.1

QED - 42 Strands Cable - 50mtrs (For Complete HT Room)(Rs.90per mtr)

Approx. Startup Total will be Rs.1L, depending on the negotiations with the Local Dealer.

The reason for suggesting Q.A.V. out here is that if you setup room is your bedroom or Living room kind of scenario, the Q.A.V. equipped with the Famous BMR drivers, provide the best possible sound...

You can Contact

Mr. Bharat Gupta
Gemini Traders
GL-7, Ground Floor,
Ashoka Estate,
Bharakhamba Road,
New Delhi
+919311155528

Try and audition the same...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back