Kali Monitors LP-8

Dear FMs,

What's your opinion on using these for listening music?

These are pro monitors.....and I am not a musician. But I do love good reviews and a friendly price/performance ratio.

And since I have Floorstanders (Klipsch RP 8000F) ....for my HT, I was thinking a bookshelf/monitors for my listening room (not exactly ...but more of a personal room where I will also listen :D ). In the past I have seeked opinions on KEF (LS50 to be exact). And since I was not in a hurry, I was mulling over many brands even including Chinese brands like Aurum Cantus.

So following some advice by few good members, I want to go the 'less expensive but excellent performance' way.

Features I like about this speaker:

Low bass response; according to specs it can do upto 20hz (which I have not observe commonly). A subwoofer may not be needed making it pure 2.0 system.

Wide stereo imaging

High dynamic range

A very good flat frequency graph (which is also a personal preference)

Totall watt of 100....which I feel is commensurate with my hearing needs.

Very sweet price.

Powered and hence I will have no headache for matching amps etc.

Also Kali have a Bluetooth module (Kali MV-BT) which can make these good Bluetooth speakers ......like bitperfect play using USB audio player/Hiby/Fiio apps on an older smartphone (I have a old less used OnePlus 5). And also stream.

(Easily available from baajao/Amazon. So good return policy)

There is a certain buzz about these speakers starting from LP-6. And I am betting it's because of its price/performance.

Here is a review from a pro

Do these monitors present a poor choice for Audiophiles? Or they can be equally good for listening like any audiophile speakers?

The graph you have posted plus the website shows it does 37 hz @ -10 db at the low end

That does not mean speaker is not good but just pointing it out .

have been seeing the promos etc.. supposed to be good speakers but i guess an audition is the best way forward or as you mention the return policy considering your present location.

I would look at the Swan Monitors too- the ones with the sloped baffle..i think the M200 MK3

good luck !

regards

Enkay78, these are all very basic stuff. In studios they use such stuff to hear various takes or some demos that have come or for some edits. The speakers that are used to actually record, mix, master are all very expensive stuff. They run into tens of lakhs. Don’t be under the impression that by using these studio monitors, you are going to get great studio sound.

Enkay78, these are all very basic stuff. In studios they use such stuff to hear various takes or some demos that have come or for some edits. The speakers that are used to actually record, mix, master are all very expensive stuff. They run into tens of lakhs. Don’t be under the impression that by using these studio monitors, you are going to get great studio sound.

So you feel KEF LS50 will be better?

I am taking my time to decide btw.

I have never heard the KEF or the Kali. All I am saying is based on my experience of listening to stuff at studios, don’t get carried away because it’s a studio monitor. In a audio video studio, there are many rooms. The main room will have top of the line stuff where all the final work is done. Other rooms will have stuff like the Kali monitors that you’ve mentioned above. Choice of such monitors is purely based on price. It’s only the main one that they will spend. Rest of the rooms, they will buy from a pro audio brand who gives them the best deal. It’s as simple as that.

Of the 3 speakers you’ve mentioned, my gut feel is the Rogers will sound the most musical. And this has nothing to do with the measurements. :)

Enkay78, what kind of music do you listen to?

It's varied.

Back when I was young I use to listen to heavy metals, hard rock - pink Floyd, deep purple, Rainbow, Nazareth, CCR, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden (fav) were stuff I use to headbang. With little tinge of bollywood, ghazals....and few western classicals.(the likes of Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Vivaldi)

Nowadays I am more mellowed......and starting to taste a little bit of jazz, blues. And newer bollywood songs....and artists like Arjit, Jubin nautiyal.... types :D

Gist: now prefer more slower and melodious. And curated playlists of Spotify :)

All the above speakers you’ve mentioned above will roll off around 60hz in your room. You are not going to get much useful output below that. If you are into soft, melodious stuff, and if I were to take a blind call, it would be the Rogers. Also single drivers from Rethm like the Bhava should work well for you. For modern Bollywood and Spotify playlists, you’ll need forgiving speakers.

All the above speakers you’ve mentioned above will roll off around 60hz in your room. You are not going to get much useful output below that. If you are into soft, melodious stuff, and if I were to take a blind call, it would be the Rogers. Also single drivers from Rethm like the Bhava should work well for you. For modern Bollywood and Spotify playlists, you’ll need forgiving speakers.

Thanks for this....now I will check into those mentioned by you.

In studios, they normally listen to high rez stuff. Not Spotify :)

For home use, stick to musical, forgiving speakers. You’ll be happier in the long run.

Buy stuff, basis quality of software you have.

+1 to Prem's suggestion of LS3/5A. Graham, Spendor, etc make their own licensed versions. Tiny with small footprint, makes mesmerising sound when paired with good electronics and placed optimally near wall to reinforce the bass. Never heard a bad sounding 3/5A setup. If budget permits, the 5/9 is an end of the roader (at least for me).

Ignore and don't believe the part about "can do 20 Hz...". A speaker that does genuine 20 Hz will be the size of a monkey coffin, not a petite bookshelf. Even large floor standers with 11-12" woofers don't go down much deeper than 32 Hz. And speakers that do sub-30 are increasingly rare and costly.

Looking at practicality, for the majority of audio rooms, it is not always desirable to have a speaker that does sub bass because the sheer amount of energy that resides in the sub bass frequencies will overwhelm the mids and the highs.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back