KEF Q300/MS Mezzo 2 or DIY Bookshelves with MArk Audio Alpair 10.3 full range drivers

AmitKumar

Dear Fellow Members,

I have been looking at upgrading the speakers from last one month or so. I was planning to decide between KEF Q300 or MS Mezzo 2. But after reading multiple threads online in diffirent forums i thought of going ahead with the DIY way. But then the quest was to finilise the DIY kit. Infact i tried to source GR Research XLS Encore Kit without any success.

Now after some discussion with few forum members i got the recommendations to get speakers made of Full Range Drivers and there were specific recommendations to do the same with Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 or 10.3. Following pages contain the information about Alpair 10.3:

The Madisound Speaker Store

Alpair 10 Generation 3 - metal cone - diyAudio
(above link is from another forum Diy Audio, not sure if i am allowed to mention this link here)

If i wait for some time then i am more or less sure that i will be able to import these drivers without paying any duty or shipping costs. Further i will not be able to build speaker cabinets myself, i will need to find smebody who will be able to make the cabinets for me.

Due to my nature i am generally extra cautious, so dont want to jump into the world of these Full range drivers Impulsively. I need to your advice and guidance to decide if i should go ahead with these Alpair 10.3 full range drivers or the ones like KEF Q300/MEzzo 2.

Re: KEF Q300/MS Mezzo 2 or DIY Bookshelves with MArk Audio Alpair 10.3 full range dri

BUMP!!

(Same wavelength!!)

Re: KEF Q300/MS Mezzo 2 or DIY Bookshelves with MArk Audio Alpair 10.3 full range dri

I too have been contemplating of getting the Alpair 10.2/3 drivers. If there is enough interest there could be a group buy organized. Last time a group buy was organized when the older drivers were discounted. Not sure how much pricing would work out to be now.

I too have been contemplating of getting the Alpair 10.2/3 drivers. If there is enough interest there could be a group buy organized. Last time a group buy was organized when the older drivers were discounted. Not sure how much pricing would work out to be now.

someone told me that these alpairs shine in the mltl or pensil enclosure.

However not sure if they will do a good jon in bookshelf enclosures.

Not sure if group buy will be economical or not, shipping and custom duty will increase the cost significantly.

Amit,

Did you see Bibin's thread ? he has built some good speakers with Alpairs.

hi Kittu,

i saw those alpairs made by Bibin, i think the made as per design by bob brines, sorry if the name is incorrect.

I think he has termed it as MLTL. But i cannot go ahead with MLTL design due to space constraints. Bookshelf enclosure is the only option for me.

someone told me that these alpairs shine in the mltl or pensil enclosure.

However not sure if they will do a good jon in bookshelf enclosures.

Not sure if group buy will be economical or not, shipping and custom duty will increase the cost significantly.

They can be used in vented box enclosure design which is BS. I too had similar constraint so was considering vented box design. FM soundnovice had built this design and has a thread for same.

There seems to be a dealer in hongkong who can give discounts and group shipping reduces costs. Similar GB was done earlier. May be worth to do an interest check.

There seems to be a dealer in hongkong who can give discounts and group shipping reduces costs. Similar GB was done earlier. May be worth to do an interest check.

Good point. Can you post the link here ?

Good point. Can you post the link here ?

Kittu, I came to know of this dealer during earlier GB unfortunately I missed last time as the stock was limited. Our forum member soundnovice had coordinated the GB IIRC and has all the info. We can reach out to him if we seriously want to consider this. I have heard only good of these drivers!

ok, if you guys are serious, then start another thread for the group buy and see how many FMs are interested.

I am not sure if i will participate or not. Before taking decision few of us should audition them.

I had some discussion with Singapore Dealer, I can surely introduce you guys to him.

And you will be happy to know that the price in Singapore is lessor than the US.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back