KEF R series

htlover

Hi im not an expert in home theater but a lover of it. had a much confused reading over several web pages and gone through number of reviews. i have read revies of monitor audio silver aswell as gold series, B&W 600 and cm series, Focal chorus etc etc. finally on some advise i purchased KEF R series ie kef r500 fs, r200c center and r100 rears to be driven by yamaha avantage 3010 receiver. i dont have any dedicted ht room but a general urpose drawing room. im using the system since about two months. the speakers are not fully burnt yet. my main use is cinema songs and movies over cable tv and occasionally thru dvd palyer. i doubt whether i had a good system or not. kindy express your opinions over this kef r series general performance.
thanks in advance

You sound like you are not too happy with the sound of the KEF's. Would you tell us what you don't like about it's sound ? Although I am not an expert, my guess for unsatisfactory sound would be your source, ie, Cable TV.

I would suggest that you listen to some of your favorite songs on CD or watch some of your favorite movies on DVD and then let us know if you still think that the sound is bad.

There is a huge 2 part thread on AVForums on the R Series. Do take a look.

KEF R series.............? | AVForums.com - UK Online

Kef "R" Series Part 2. | AVForums.com - UK Online

The KEF R500, R200 etc is on my wishlist too.

Last edited:
hi thanks for repley. yes there are different opinions on the r series. may be im expecting too much from an average source like cable tv. or may be that i have not maDE THE SET UP in full. i have not yer run the yamaha mic setup. considering that its a 9 channel system will it benefit by biamping the front mains and biwiring the center and rears

considering that its a 9 channel system will it benefit by biamping the front mains and biwiring the center and rears

Can't say for sure as I have never tried either seeing that I am yet to get to my first HT / Stereo setup. I would first bi-amp the fronts and bi-wire the center to see if it makes any difference.

It would be nice if you could write a short review of the R's and post pictures of your setup if you have the time.

hi ssf thanks for your s
uggestion. I will biwire first and then try other option. I will also post pics.

Cable tv would be the worst source!
Just play some well recorded material with or without a DAC and im sure they should sound a lot better.

hi thanks for poste corElement and user1524. its a bad news that yamaha is not suitable for kefs. actually im quite unknowledge full of this type of systems matching. but i found yamaha quite smooth sounding and wont hurt hours of listening. i have ye to try good sorces rather than cable. im insearch of good blue rray palyers and also considering cost of acquiring blue ray disks every time im exploring possibilities of using some streaming from youtube. can some body suggest me if i can sream good music from youtube to yamaha receiver through mdli from my dell xps laptop and will it delever 7.1 ch or 5.1 chqnnel to receiver with hdmi from laptop to receiver.
thanks in advance.

In general Denons might be a better match for the KEFs (I should know I have a Denon and KEF combo!)

Vinod

I second that. And I believe that Yamaha may not suit KEF. Had the chance to hear the R series fresh out of box but I would say it is a typical KEF. So the likes of denon could change the equation.

To say more on the same vein, I have found that:

Yamaha and Onkyo's go best with B&W (Price permitting)

Denons (Best with KEFs)

So you could try to hook up to a similar combo and see if you like it and then decide.......

Vinod

hi thanks for the concern. but having purchased this yamaha 3010 already now i think im stuckup. i welcome i suggestions how to go about further

thanks in advance.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back