KEF R3's and Denon DRA-800H?

qwertypa

Hi hope y'all are doing well in these times. So I need help from anyone who has the KEF R3's and would like to know whether the Denon DRA-800H can driver these boys without any issue? Nominal impedance is 8 ohms but the R3's go down to about 3.6ohms. In case it can't please feel free to give your recommendations on other Amps based on experience. Any help is really appreciated, thanks in advance. Cheers!

P.S. Room size is 15x11

Here is a review of the KEF's R3's.
It does seem to go really low - upto 3 ohms.

You should check how the amp you want behaves at such low impedance, whether the distortion is acceptable or not.

Good luck.

KEF R3's are wonderful sounding speakers and do nicely with even low powered amps. But I would suggest anything that can push around 100 to 150 watts. Don't compromise with the stands. Get heavy and sturdy ones and do proper isolation.
They are far ahead of the over hyped KEF LS series.

The Chennai KEF dealer had provided home demos for 3 series of KEFs including the LS and R3 this January when my nephew was in the hunt for new speakers

KEF R3's are wonderful sounding speakers and do nicely with even low powered amps. But I would suggest anything that can push around 100 to 150 watts. Don't compromise with the stands. Get heavy and sturdy ones and do proper isolation.
They are far ahead of the over hyped KEF LS series.

The Chennai KEF dealer had provided home demos for 3 series of KEFs including the LS and R3 this January when my nephew was in the hunt for new speakers
Really appreciate your reply. Perhaps Yamaha R-N803 suits it nicely? Plus the YPAO is also handy. And yes will get proper stands for these thanks for mentioning.

Here is a review of the KEF's R3's.
It does seem to go really low - upto 3 ohms.

You should check how the amp you want behaves at such low impedance, whether the distortion is acceptable or not.

Good luck.
Yes that’s the point I’m unsure about the Denons. With auditioning being so tough now due to ongoing situation thought it’ll be wise to take opinions from experienced FMs here before pulling the trigger here.

Yes that’s the point I’m unsure about the Denons. With auditioning being so tough now due to ongoing situation thought it’ll be wise to take opinions from experienced FMs here before pulling the trigger here.

Go for any amps based on ncore based designs ..you are sure not to run out of power.

Nad has a few of them. M22 etc

Yamaha R-n803 or Cambridge CxA60? Which one do you think will fair better?

The CXA 60 might struggle to drive the R3s to loud volumes. Not sure how the Yamaha sounds - certainly 140w should be sufficient. What HiFi review says its a warm sounding amplifier - so it should in theory at least go well with the R3s.

You need to be looking at 100w atleast. N core based amps as suggested by sidvee is the way to go. For something cheaper you can look at Crown Xli Amps plenty of power for the price. Peachtree amps also offer a lot of power.

The CXA 60 might struggle to drive the R3s to loud volumes. Not sure how the Yamaha sounds - certainly 140w should be sufficient. What HiFi review says its a warm sounding amplifier - so it should in theory at least go well with the R3s.

You need to be looking at 100w atleast. N core based amps as suggested by sidvee is the way to go. For something cheaper you can look at Crown Xli Amps plenty of power for the price. Peachtree amps also offer a lot of power.
Okay, I see a lot of people divided on the Crown Amps so kind of on the fence with them.. Would you recommend a specific type of preamp for the crown xls 1502?

Maybe a Tube Preamp will help there? Just a thought, but I don't have any experience there..

My suggestion would be to look for a great Integrated Amp within your budget, rather than "Receivers" of any kind. There is just no comparison...Spend upto half, maybe even match the amount you spent on the KEF.

Last edited:
Recently one of the FM has purchase Yamaha RN803D and he is happy with performance and its able to deliver good stereo performance in fairly large space. Yamaha is one box solution for streaming and amplification so you can save on network streamer. It is understood that Yamaha's amplifiers are robust and powerful enough to drive most of the speakers. It is also understood that Yamaha RN803D is nothing but Yamaha AS-701 amplifier with additional calibration, bass management and streaming capability which is itself a great amplifier.

Seem to be really expensive these..

The nad is just packaging an amplifier module called hypex ncore which does all it's job. You can find other integrators like Nord and Apollon which sell amplifiers based on hypex at 1/3 cost of brands like NAD.

If you are have even basic skills to follow instructions hypex also has a DIY kit for hypex based on nc400 which has meansured really good compared to big brands.

Both Denon and KEF are available in Chennai with ProFX. Ask them for a demo of this pairing. Wait for this lockdown to end, and then go give it a listen. Carry your music with you - what you normally listen to, and are familiar with.

Yamaha R-n803 or Cambridge CxA60? Which one do you think will fair better?

I couldn't find any measurements on the CX a60 but I did find one on the Yamaha which seems to do ok in pure direct mode.

I guess it might do well coupled with a well measuring external dac.

You should wait to see if someone with experience chips in with more data

I couldn't find any measurements on the CX a60 but I did find one on the Yamaha which seems to do ok in pure direct mode.

I guess it might do well coupled with a well measuring external dac.

You should wait to see if someone with experience chips in with more data
So the Cambridge is 60w at 8ohms and 120 at 4ohms..

So the Cambridge is 60w at 8ohms and 120 at 4ohms..

Oh I wasn't referring to "specs" ..but actual measurements that prove whether it delivers the goods they claim in the specs and whether the performance remains acceptable, while doing so ...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back