kindly Help UHD

pbananth

Is this the right time to purchase UHD TV.?
Kindly recommend.
Also about curved TV.
Budget upto 3 lakh.
Or go in for cheap vu TV 65"?
Thanks..

Do not think about investing in a UHD.

Waste of investment. UHD will drop like a brick in terms of prices.

So wait, buy a cheap FHD TV within 60-70 thousand and wait for UHD to mature.

On top of that the HDMI 2.0 specs is not clear as yet. Then there is the display port for the UHD.

Also in the future there will be UHD TVs with OLED. That would be worth waiting for your money.

Of course, your call at the end of the day.

Hope this helps.

Vinod

As also being discussed in another thread here, there is hardly any content available right now and most probably in the near future (atleast for few yrs) that would justify the substantial cost premium presently being commanded for such (overly) hyped UHD TVs.

The only tangible benefit of such hi-res TV right now might be for using with a PC but even then, one would need a suitable high end m/c with high end graphics card that can make good use of the screen real estate - even here there is a bottleneck of software presently not being able to scale properly..

So unless there is a specific need for going for a UHD, it definitely does not make sense to waste the money presently on these UHD TVs for our regular SD/Bluray contents available - for this 1080p is good enough. By the time the UHD content is widely prevalent, the current hardware would be obsolete with god knows what new tech in upscaling, audio, connectivity options and tv s/w interfaces..

If the only criteria is BIG display then maybe a projector is a better alternative to try out.

I don't understand the point of buying a UHD TV when there are very very limited UHD contents. It's simply waste of money right now. Save the money and buy a Samsung F8500 plasma which comes in 64" and you'll forget about UHD.

You can also opt for a cheaper plasma or LED TV for now and get the UHD TV later when there are enough UHD contents which I think is not going to be regular like 1080p for another decade.

Or like @tma said, you can invest that money in Projector and you'll even have bigger display.

Great..
Thanks for your inputs.
I prefer LED TV.
What about VU TV?
About 8500 samsung not to continue plasma?
And I also fear image retention..
Your suggestion?
Thanks..

Last edited:
Simply a waste of money I would say. As other FMs pointed out, without proper content, there is simply no reason to buy one now.
Get a High end FHD 64" ones or you may consider Curved FHD too which is available within half of your budget and spend the remaining amount for audio goods. I have come across one samsung 55" FHD curved Led ard 1.7L , cant remember the model name.

UHD's are waste of money as of now. First of all It launched in market as the new technological marvel. secondly to get the UHD quality picture you need a proper UHD file content which isn't much available now Hence don't waste your money

Can't say about Vu but you can also consider Sharp and Toshiba as they provide 3-years warranty. Their PQ is also good. Go take a demo.

Samsung is leaving the plasma business but that doesn't mean they won't have replacement panels for their premium plasmas such as the F8500. Image retention is not a issue after you've done the break-in with slides and stuff. But it's much much superior than LED.

Samsung curved models are recommended but not UHD in India.
Cheap isn't bad. Maruti Alto is cheap but isn't bad. Check out Vu too.

I rarely buy any new/latest product (high end Cars/Computers/Electronics) in India because of absurd taxes and other costs. Example (last month): buying Core i7-4790 processor + Asus Z97-Delux motherboard in India (if available) will cost a lot more compared to competitive prices in the US.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back