Klipsch 5.1 setup - Need advice

singh_mp

Hi,

I currently own Klipsch RF-82 II floorstanding speakers in my stereo setup. They are powered by a Marantz SR6006 amp. I have been a happy Klipsch customer.

I am now upgrading to a 5.1 setup and had some questions where I would appreciate your perspective and specific experience, if any. That will be of great help in my decision making. Room size is 13.9 by 22.0 feet (living room) and viewing distance will be around 11 feet.

a. Center channel - I was considering Klipsch RP440C or RP450C. I am now given to understand that there is a new model this year called RP404C. Is that similar to erstwhile RP440C? What would you recommend me to pair with RF-82 II floorstanding speakers?

b. Subwoofer - I am recommended to use SPL120. I have another option of going with R-12SW or R-112SW. Slightly smaller in box sizes to work with and fits better in my space in terms of floor space. Plus saves some money, but don't want to do it on the cost of whole setup and make a significant compromise. What will you recommend?

c. Surround - I need to go with in-ceiling speakers with minimal mount depth (4-5 inch at best) and have narrowed it down to Pro-160RPC or DS-160CDT. Can DS-160CDT worknin my setup? I am convinced about Pro-160RPC but pricing is 2x of DS-160CDT.

I do realise it can be a very subjective preference but I am looking for a technically best compatible option from product perspective to help my decision making. My other two criterias are space optimisation on floor for subwoofer footprint and lastly budget.

Hence, appreciate your recommendation or suggestions. Many thanks

Mahesh

The Reference v2 and Reference Premier v2 are design-wise different and the dimension and appearance got changed. Out of all, only the tweeter is redesigned.

I have gone through each and every speaker specification and compared them in the Klipsch / crutchfield sites. The details between the old Reference, Reference Premier and the new ones are identical except the finishing and dimension.

I can't comment on RP440C / RP450C since I have not auditioned them yet. But I have Klipsch RP250C for center and R15M for surrounds which I recently purchased.

Go for RP112SW by far a better option than R12SW.

Why surrounds being in-ceiling? Why not RP150M / RP160M / R15M / R14S ?

For each and every speaker that you are planning to buy, go for audition, hear R and RP series in parallel and decide. IMHO, any the Klipsch family of speakers can be combined and timber matched. You may not be able to notice vast difference while playing movies.

Since Klipsch are over priced here (don't know why?!!), take a wise decision.

Thanks,
Sriram

Last edited:
Thanks Sriram.
My sitting area is in middle of hall given longer room and back wall is some 10 feet away. I don't have anywhere in vicinity to mount surrounds, except ceiling. Can't use Stand there as well. Hence, looking at ceiling options.

Thanks Sriram.
My sitting area is in middle of hall given longer room and back wall is some 10 feet away. I don't have anywhere in vicinity to mount surrounds, except ceiling. Can't use Stand there as well. Hence, looking at ceiling options.

Fair point. Can't you place your surrounds in the side wall, facing each other?

SP-surround.thumb.jpg.65cca32c52a321f1d57a1d9ba3fc26a5.jpg

Left side wall is full height french window so will be difficult. Do you foresee any particular issues with ceiling speakers? Thanks

Left side wall is full height french window so will be difficult. Do you foresee any particular issues with ceiling speakers? Thanks
Maybe a ceiling mount might work.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 11

Usually effects which are from the above are prominent in the ceiling installations. The rear / side surround effects are best achieved when they are kept at the ear level or 1 / 2 feet above.

But if you have no other go, you can install in the ceiling and should still get the surround effect but it may not be true surround. For example, in movies, you could hear sounds from people sitting in restaurants, spoon sounds, vehicle movements etc., which should ideally come from sides not from the top.

Room size is 13.9

14 feet being width of the room, and if you have space on either sides of your listening position, you may consider doing DIY stand mounts with plywood and place the surround speaker on it.. (or)

Get a 5.0 FS speaker package, use the FS a surrounds if you can accomodate them in your room as it will negate the need of stands.. You can re-use the other 3 satellite speakers for surr back..

What would you recommend me to pair with RF-82 II floorstanding speakers?

Ideally center channel from the same series.. I had the RP440c for sometime.. It was a huge center speaker.. You can easily keep a TV on top of it.. Please check the dimensions of the RP440c & RP450c and see if it will fit in the place where you plan to put it..

b. Subwoofer. Room size is 13.9 by 22.0 feet (living room) and viewing distance will be around 11 feet.

You room being lengthier and width is also more, using 2 subwoofers would be better.. getting a smoother response in your listening position should be better than a single subwoofer doing deeper.. So choose accordingly..

Thanks everyone for your inputs and suggestions. Given practical considerations, will have to stick with in-ceiling ones. Now, I plan to use 4 in-ceiling as surround and surround back. Using pro16ROC as surround (https://www.klipsch.com/products/pro-160rpc-in-ceiling-speaker) and 160cdt as surround back (https://www.klipsch.com/products/ds-160cdt). I have done auditions and mount depth (about 4.5") of both works in my interiors / ceiling. I also compared by switching to in-ceiling vs surround and was satisified with in-ceiling.

With that backdrop, If I may add another question - given now I am looking at a Klipsch 7.1 set up, I am wondering if my existing Marantz SR6006 AVR will be adequate to power the setup or will feel underpowered? Appreciate any inputs or suggestions there. I do not want to upgrade the amp at this stage unless its a deal breaker in the setup. Thanks again

I believe the SR6006 is more than enough to power the speakers.....auto setup would make adjustments conservatively ...you can still manually increase the levels stepwise to achieve the desired output(provided the speakers can handle....check the tech specs and impedance).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back