Laptop HDMI/HDD help needed

arnprasad

Hi I need some help in setting my hardware right.

1) this I have already posted in another link..so sorry about the duplication but I believe this title will get it more views.

I have a Intel i5 laptop with HDMI out but no dedicated sound card. When I play a file that has DTS audio - I have tried playing it using GOM player, media player classic, VLC, Power DVD 11 and Windows media player - the 3D video is alright but the sound output is not DTS - do we need a dedicated sound card for this or can the software drive it?

2) This is more important for me. I got a WD 2TB hard drive which apart from being my hard drive backup also holds my ripped WII games and hence the hard drive at all time is connected to my WII by USB. Now that I have got a 3D TV - I have many ripped 3D files which are also on the hard drive. Currently I have a 16GB pen drive and I play these movies directly on my TVs USB. However its a pain adding and removing movies and hence I am wondering is there a way I can split the USB out of my hard drive using a splitter into two - so that one will go to my WII and other one will go into my TV or the philips Blu ray player? The reason being the other option is to keep on removing the USB wire from WII and putting it on the TV and Vice versa -

3) Lastly my WD 2TB HDD has this irritating habit of blinking when ever connected and it takes few seconds for the blinking to stop when data can be read from the hard drive - anyway I can eliminate this blinking and access data real time immediately on powering on?

Thanks in advance for all your help. The reason I am asking all this is because my Pioneer 1020K receiver does not have ARC and hence I am losing out on 5.1 sound in case I use my pen drive directly into the TV for movie watching:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Hi I need some help in setting my hardware right.

1) this I have already posted in another link..so sorry about the duplication but I believe this title will get it more views.

I have a Intel i5 laptop with HDMI out but no dedicated sound card. When I play a file that has DTS audio - I have tried playing it using GOM player, media player classic, VLC, Power DVD 11 and Windows media player - the 3D video is alright but the sound output is not DTS - do we need a dedicated sound card for this or can the software drive it?

It is not clear how you have connected laptop to TV. The sequence should be laptop hdmi out > avr hdmi in > avr hdmi out > tv hdmi in. After this turn on your tv, avr and then laptop last. Then right click the small volume icon at bottom right of taskbar, select Playback Devices. Now your HDMI should be visible as an audio device. If you can't find it then right click and enable 'Show Disconnected devices'. If your hdmi is still not listed, you should update the display driver to the latest one. Also check laptop specs to see whther it supports audio over hdmi. Now right click the hdmi device and set it as default audio device. In properties set the speaker system as 5.1 or 7.1. You can also check the supported audio formats. DTS and Dolby should be listed there. Now you need to set your media player to send dts and dolby signals as raw. For this check the player settings. In Daum PotPlayer the setting is under Preference>Filter Control> Audio Decoder > Built in codec settings. Tick Passthrough for DTS and AC3.

Thanks. Yesterday I saw a post in avforums very similar to yours. I changed the output first to SPDIF then to my AVR - (right click on volume control) - I managed to get DTS out on my AVR and then when I changed few settings - second time around I couldnt get it to work - I need to get a hang of it - Am sure its doable.

Yes I do connect my Laptop to AVR to TV and speakers all via HDMI. Its sad my AVR does not have ARC - I did not know what it was till yesterday and never thought it was big enough to bother:mad:

Now I am using XBMC which worked first before I got lost - now I need to figure out a way to use blackberry as my remote for laptop - I believe it is possible..thats my homework for today

Last edited:
In xbmc you can easily set audio to passthrough from settings>system > audio output. If you need an hp mce remote for xbmc then send a pm to fm 'YPS'.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back