Laptop to AVR hook up problem

aakashr

Was using my imac as a HTPC hooked up to Denon AVR1610 without any problems. Now when I connect my Hp laptop to the same AVR via the same setup, I cant seem to get any video on the tv. However, when I connect the laptop direct to the tv.......perfect video!!! no problems at all. I tried playing around with resolutions, refresh rates, etc......but no luck. Seems to me the problem lies with the AVR but cant seem to figure out what....

Did you try different hdmi ports? May be a reset of the microprocessor can help. Sometimes it may be due to handshake issue with the laptop.

Did you try different hdmi ports? May be a reset of the microprocessor can help. Sometimes it may be due to handshake issue with the laptop.

thanks............you mean reset the receiver? the laptop only has one HDMI port.

Try connecting to a different HDMI port on the receiver and select that port as input for the display on the receiver.

On the laptop, you can select Projector only mode so that display will go to AVR once it is detected.

Problem could be the handshake issue.

Is the AVR getting detected by Laptop? when you connect to AVR and select that HDMI port as source, you should be able to see that in the list of Playback devices under sound settings

Thanks a lot guys...........this is exactly what happens:

Laptop : Only works when extended display (mirroring) is enabled. Laptop detects the Denon AVR and it does show up in the display properties as the 2nd display.

TV : you can see the laptop desktop on the tv without the icons or the mouse pointer, just the plain windows background. If the background shows up, why not rest of it? When only 2nd display (Denon AVR) is selected, the screen goes blank with green horizontal lines.

TV : you can see the laptop desktop on the tv without the icons or the mouse pointer, just the plain windows background. If the background shows up, why not rest of it? When only 2nd display (Denon AVR) is selected, the screen goes blank with green horizontal lines.

When you see this,it is not mirror but extended video.So you can play movies now.

The problem is with multiple displays. Your current display setting is in extended mode in which desktop is shown in laptop and other windows are extended to TV. You can toggle between displays using Win+P. Select the option Projector only.

Under display settings, you can see two display devices one the laptop and the other detected as Denon AVR. Set the option to show the desktop only on display 2 or whichever is your avr. Now the display will come in tv and laptop display will be turned off. On removing the hdmi, laptop display will again start. Another option is duplicate the desktop but this may not work as the laptop and tv resolution are different.

Thanks a lot guys...........this is exactly what happens:

Laptop : Only works when extended display (mirroring) is enabled. Laptop detects the Denon AVR and it does show up in the display properties as the 2nd display.

It looks like there is a sync issue when you select the external monitor alone.
You can select external monitor as your primary/main and laptop as secondary in extended display mode. In that case you will be able to see the icons and other things on the TV.

well this is exactly how it should work:

select display 1 (laptop) : only laptop will work and tv will be blank
select display 2 (Denon) : laptop will go blank and tv will work
extended display : both work and will display identical desktop

However, now this is how it works :

select display 1 (laptop) : only laptop works and tv is blank
select display 2 (Denon) : laptop is blank and tv is also blank with green horizontal lines
extended display : both work.......laptop has a full windows desktop while tv only shows the windows background without any icons or mouse pointer, unable to play movies.

I have tried to toggle between win+P but no luck there. It seems like a sync issue but cant figure out why or how to fix it.

When I hook it up directly to the tv the primary display by default is the tv without any manual settings.......works perfect!!! I am only facing the above problem when the AVR comes in the middle.

With the imac there was no issue...........nothing to be done. This is a hp windows 7 64bit notebook with ATI dedicated graphics.

well this is exactly how it should work:

select display 1 (laptop) : only laptop will work and tv will be blank
select display 2 (Denon) : laptop will go blank and tv will work
extended display : both work and will display identical desktop

However, now this is how it works :

select display 1 (laptop) : only laptop works and tv is blank
select display 2 (Denon) : laptop is blank and tv is also blank with green horizontal lines
extended display : both work.......laptop has a full windows desktop while tv only shows the windows background without any icons or mouse pointer, unable to play movies.

Generally there will be one more option called Clone, in which both displays will show exactly same content - with desktop and icons.
The extended display what you are seeing is normal, it is not an issue. What you can try in extended mode is: keep the video playing application resized (not maximized), then drag it from the first screen towards the right - when it crosses the right edge of laptop screen it will start appearing in the second screen (TV). After moving it completely there maximize it and play the video. Check whether the video is playing in that screen properly.

I think you can set the avr as primary display in display settings. This will show desktop in your tv.

I think you can set the avr as primary display in display settings. This will show desktop in your tv.

thanks...........when I set the AVR as primary display the tv goes blank........but will try again. I am sure there is something I am not doing or overlooking, just can't seem to put my finger on it :)

When I connect my laptop to the TV through my AVR (Pioneer), I usually set it up as the secondary display, thus getting an extended display on the TV screen.

Then I simply shut the laptop lid. This causes the laptop to re-establish the HDMI handshake with the AVR, automatically making the TV the primary display.

On re-opening the lid, the process is reversed, again causing the TV to become the secondary display.

On shutting the lid, the primary display is shut down, making the TV (actually TV-AVR combo) the primary display automatically.

Try this, if it suits you.

i can recommend updating to the latest set of drivers specific to your laptop.

most intel drivers will have issues with unrecognised monitor setups like a AVR..... they might have patched it up in the latest set of drivers.

i remember facing the same problem whilst setting-up a Christie 4K projector in a movie hall. the upscaler (costing almost $4K!) was not accepting video from the laptop. to make it work with a desktop, i had to do some mix and match of video cards.

Thanks for all your help guys..........here is the update, finally managed to get video on the tv. This is how it works:

-tv and laptop both go blank when I hook up the HDMI cable to connect.
-I toggle with win+P to get the laptop display on.
-I go into AMD Vision Control Center (display properties) and set the resolution to 1080/24Hz.
-Video is displayed perfectly on the tv and laptop is blank.

Now that, I have sorted the video, I need to work on HDMI audio on the laptop. Tried to select HDMI digital audio on device/volume mixer, but would not work. Need to play around with that.

But, it's just a hassle having to go through the above steps everytime I need to watch movies. Isn't there a simpler way around this?

I did not have to go through any of this with the imac or when i hook the laptop directly to the tv.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back