Laptop to Home theater connection to get true 5.1 surround sound

rastogi97

I have got a laptop with HDMI out and a home theater Sony dz 350 5.1 ,, i think it dont have hdmi in, but it have optical and analogue in..
How can i connect it to my laptop to get true 5.1 sound in games and movie.
Please suggest.

Streaming 5.1 audio from a PC / Laptop has to be thru these options only :

1. Optical out (S/PDIF Out)
2. HDMI Out
3. Co-axial digital out
4. Analog audio out
Front Speakers output thru audio out 3.5mm jack
Rear speaker output thru mic 3.5mm jack
Sub-woofer output thru line-in 3.5mm jack

Now the complication is, in case of S/PDIF and Co-axial out, you have to stream audio
thru AC3 compression only, S/PDIF and Co-axial can't carry uncompressed audio data.

HDMI can, and HDMI is the latest standard.

But since you don't have that in your HT, you've to use a HDMI to co-axial convertor.
And that's available online with price ranging from 3000+.

So dude, that's about the gist of it.

Good luck !!!

PS : I suffered for a month, while searching for means for streaming 5.1 audio from my PC to my HT that has optical in only, as my motherboard had a S/PDIF out on board but not bracket or port (none is available easily either), i was stuck big time.

But found a way and it worked....worked like a charm and I'm in a bliss with superb 5.1 blasting thru my HT

PSS : I've never written such a long PS :)

Thanx guys for prompt and relevant replies,, so which method shud I prefer out the following two

1. Use a usb sound card, or
2. Use a HDMI to Optical out converter.

But i think my system only have Optical in not co-axial :|

PS: Is 2nd option i.e. HDMI to digital good enuf for decoding of 5.1 audio from games.

Last edited:
Now the complication is, in case of S/PDIF and Co-axial out, you have to stream audio
thru AC3 compression only, S/PDIF and Co-axial can't carry uncompressed audio data.

HDMI can, and HDMI is the latest standard.

Will that be a problem? with digital out of usb soundcard in games n movies as far as 5.1 surround sound is concerned

Hi Rastogi

I think the USB card's optical will do it just fine.

The issue is Optical (S/PDIF) can't carry uncompressed data, so I think games that do not stream digital audio in AC3 compression, will not give a 5.1 signal.

For watching movies, you have to install AC3 filter and also use VLC player. In VLC player you have to select audio output as " DirectX Audio Output".

Remember, 5.1 data audio over S/PDIF (optical) will be there, when you play movies that has AC3 audio. (Dolby Digital / DTS Encoding only)

I think you'd better upgrade your HT and buy one with HDMI. (If that's possible)

my 2 cents worth

Hi frend
Thanks for replying,, i actually just know bought this product and was dumb enuf not to research abt connectivit before as i m new to this stuff.. i still can replace it for some other product but i want to avoid all this hassel.

So if this " usb sound card " can compress, uncompressed audio in real time and do the job i dont want to bother getting another one... or if hdmi to optical is my only way out please suggest some good product. I want a solution which works for both games and movies uncompressed audio compression.

I m also not sure whether i will get another HT with hdmi in in my budget. Which is 20k

Hello Friends,

I have sony HTIV-300 and i want the same to connect to my pc. My PC have Nvidia 1060 6 GB graphic card and only have one HDMI output. If i will use the same to put HDMI input in HT, then how can i get display as well.

Hello Friends,

I have sony HTIV-300 and i want the same to connect to my pc. My PC have Nvidia 1060 6 GB graphic card and only have one HDMI output. If i will use the same to put HDMI input in HT, then how can i get display as well.
Use your PC HDMI out to HTIV-300 HDMI in and HTIV-300 HDMI out to TV or Monitor for display.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back