LCD/LED TV from USA

mathan

One relative of mine has agreed to bring a 42" inch LCD/LED T.V from US next month end. Apart from the step down transformer do I also need to have PAL convertor for the LCD T.V. Is it also true that a 42" TV would attract custom duty at the airport.

yes ur correct ,if its 32" and lesser they wont mind .in most 42" the question raises and u have to pay the duty which comes to nearly indian price,
step down+customs duty+non warranty issues are free attachments,better u can find the same thing in Grey market here in India ,which is not recommended .

A 46 inch Panasonic LED is costing around $750. The price is so attractive. My only concern is the customs duty. There are few who have bought LCD TV above 32 inch without paying customs duty and while other were asked to pay 35% custom duty. Has anyone bought 42 inch LCD TV from US without paying custom duty?

Well customs people are one of the most suspicious people to deal with a 46" size tv is sure to attract their attention.
Rather then buying in the US,why not try getting it from stopover places like HK,singapore where its cheap and you don't have to buy any sort of converter.

Well customs people are one of the most suspicious people to deal with a 46" size tv is sure to attract their attention.
Rather then buying in the US,why not try getting it from stopover places like HK,singapore where its cheap and you don't have to buy any sort of converter.

Would like to do that but still not sure about the custom duty.

I think if your uncle is bringing something over 25k, the excess cud attact 36.7% duty. So if LCD is all he is brining and its for 750 dollars, than you would have to pay 36% duty on the reamaining 250 dollars, which comes out to be around 75 dollars. So in a nutshell the landed cost of the LCD = 750 + 75 (duty) + 30 (step down) = 855 dollars or 38000 Rs. Now if you can buy a 46" in India at that price, than it would not be worth the hassle. But in India the same tv would cost north of 1 lakh. Therefore by all means go for it.
Another thing to consider wud be a projector as its much easier to carry.

i was thinking of doing this myself, but then I read that converting from NTSC to PAL is not easy and possible issues exist for digital tuner boxes as well - 50Hz / 60Hz thing. If somebody on this forum can tell how it has been done, I would be wanting to get one myself as well.

other option I am exploring is getting Multi-system LCD / LED. Do a search - they are 10-20% more expensive but then you are assured they will work and the converters etc. will not be required. They are not available off the shelf in Best Buy or Walmart though.

~maniac

I have asked him not to bring it from US. There are too many technical glitches (mainly PAL/NTSC conversion). Multi system are too costly and are rarely on discount sale. I have asked him to pick it up from Singapore or otherwise not to bring it.

Well PAL/NTSC issue does not occur anymore as long as you have an STB with HDMI and HDMI dvd player etc. No one uses TV tuner with these tv's anyways. Digital media through HDMI is PAL/NTSC ignorant so your tv will play just fine with Tata Sky, connect just fine to your PC, and play WDTV just as well. Bring it on by all means. Over and OUT!!!

techcheat: connecting your us bough TV to HTB using HDMI won'y gurantee that it would work. The problem is with the frequency, NTSC has 60HZ and PAL has 50HZ. If the TV supports 50HZ over HDMI then only it would work.
Mathan: Most USA bought Sharp brand TVs have support for NTSC as well as PAL. Majority of Vizio's( except some latest LED's) have support for PAL. Some Philips/Magnavox models also support PAL. It would be better if you can get the TV set checked for PAL compatibility before buying. The test can be easily done in a TV store with a camcorder/digital camera by connecting it to TV and changing the video output to PAL.

To get the LED tv in less price just get it from thailand , there u will get better deals possible 220v versions too.
32inch series4 samsung LCD is 19k in bangkok

If he would bring it I have asked him to bring a multi system TV. Thailand is an option but he would be coming via Singapore and probably the price range of 42 inch LCD/LED in Singapore would be much more than US.

Thailand and malyasia are place for manufacturing Sony lcd tvs.So in thailand Sony is cheaper then samsung.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back