LCDs - No more soon!

viper08

I agree... the typical monitors that many of my Educated friends & colleagues come and talk about are just LED backlit ..me and couple of friends keep re iterating that if its LED it should not be more than half a cm think or may be 1 for the PCB+Circuit+Bezel etc... many get conned that a 24 LED is available @ 8k/9k etc or so...

LCD televisions, may will out of market in India very soon. All major companies will focus more on LED TVs and may stop LCDs.

Its due to Lower price difference between both as well as Lower Market demand

Source:
Sony, Samsung, LG and others to drastically prune LCD line-up; LED TVs to gain prominence - The Economic Times

This should be good opportunity for cheaper deals as companies would be clearing stocks.

My few comments here more on the lighter side ... :lol: I am writing this while I was going through an article on how the modern day journos/media houses play to the tune of their political masters ... :D The point I am making is how journalism has become pathetic. oops ... Hope I haven't crossed the line in creating a political controversy ;)

Just like the major brands using clever marketing strategies to differentiate that LED is totally different from LCD, even the so called journalists write articles to say that LED is a technology from Jupiter and the LCD is the one from Mercury. Was the writer totally ignorant to write some thing like this -or- is he/she also trying to act too smart (like the so called clever marketing strategies by the companies) in fooling the public ?

Have fun ... :yahoo:

rud3dawg, isnt every LED TV led back lit?

To be clear, think of the screen as a sheet that is full of small LCDs.
Now , a backlight is required to stimulate them.
An edge-led tv has small LEDs around the edges which do the job of stimulating the front LCD panel.
A Full led TV has small LEDs all over, behind the LCD panel.Theoretically this arrangement is supposed to give more/even/controlled backlight for the LCDs.
Also super-thin tvs can be produced in this way.

Thanks.

rud3dawg, isnt every LED TV led back lit?

Some times, these terminologies confuse us. An LED based LED TV can be either "an edge lit" or "back-lit". Some people refer backlit to full array LED.

To be clear, think of the screen as a sheet that is full of small LCDs.
Now , a backlight is required to stimulate them.
An edge-led tv has small LEDs around the edges which do the job of stimulating the front LCD panel.
A Full led TV has small LEDs all over, behind the LCD panel.Theoretically this arrangement is supposed to give more/even/controlled backlight for the LCDs.
Also super-thin tvs can be produced in this way.

Thanks.

To begin.. I would like to explain a bit more in detail

Our regular LCDs are mostly of TFT LCD (thin film transistor liquid crystal display). An LED-backlit LCD display has LED backlighting instead of the cold cathode fluorescent (CCFL) backlighting used by most other LCDs. though not a TRUE LED some manufacturers smartly branded them LED TVs If you google up and a bit of Wiki too you ll read that the govts have allowed this misnomer of sorts but ordered the manufacturers to explain in the advertising .. which is the '*' asterisk that are so conveniently disguised as extra information. :mad:

for your reference I ve also searched a bit and thanks to your Qs learnt a bit more and there are 3 types of so called LED TVs :rolleyes:
  • White-edge LEDs around the rim of the screen, using a special diffusion panel to spread the light evenly behind the screen (the most common use)
  • LED array behind the screen, whose brightness is not controlled individually
  • Dynamic local dimming array of LEDs, controlled individually (or in clusters) to achieve a modulated backlight pattern

The current LEDs are masked LCDs. Unlike plasma and OLED(True LEDs in my consideration), which are emissive technologies where each pixel is its own discrete light source, LCD is a transmissive technology where each pixel has to be illuminated from behind, or backlit. Ergo.. the True technologies out there are.. CRTs (Cathode Ray Tubes) our very own dear ol Tube TVs.. the best of the best in performances as far as I ve seen (Cant really talk about big sized OLEDs ) The Plasmas & of course the currently up comming OLEDs :eek:hyeah:(frikkin expensive). hope this clears out some of your doubts atleast... :p

To begin.. I would like to explain a bit more in detail

Our regular LCDs are mostly of TFT LCD (thin film transistor liquid crystal display). An LED-backlit LCD display has LED backlighting instead of the cold cathode fluorescent (CCFL) backlighting used by most other LCDs. though not a TRUE LED some manufacturers smartly branded them LED TVs If you google up and a bit of Wiki too you ll read that the govts have allowed this misnomer of sorts but ordered the manufacturers to explain in the advertising .. which is the '*' asterisk that are so conveniently disguised as extra information. :mad:

for your reference I ve also searched a bit and thanks to your Qs learnt a bit more and there are 3 types of so called LED TVs :rolleyes:
  • White-edge LEDs around the rim of the screen, using a special diffusion panel to spread the light evenly behind the screen (the most common use)
  • LED array behind the screen, whose brightness is not controlled individually
  • Dynamic local dimming array of LEDs, controlled individually (or in clusters) to achieve a modulated backlight pattern

The current LEDs are masked LCDs. Unlike plasma and OLED(True LEDs in my consideration), which are emissive technologies where each pixel is its own discrete light source, LCD is a transmissive technology where each pixel has to be illuminated from behind, or backlit. Ergo.. the True technologies out there are.. CRTs (Cathode Ray Tubes) our very own dear ol Tube TVs.. the best of the best in performances as far as I ve seen (Cant really talk about big sized OLEDs ) The Plasmas & of course the currently up comming OLEDs :eek:hyeah:(frikkin expensive). hope this clears out some of your doubts atleast... :p

Not to mention Sony's crystal LED displays:

CES 2012: Sony Crystal LED Display - YouTube

Back