Led tv@65k with 3d 42" philips 7977 or others

nil.ban

Dear Forum members,
Thanks for such an informative forum on various entertainment electronic gadgets. It is really an eye opener for novices like me who are not able the differentiate between black levels, bright(not so)ness etc :p. But @ home a constant war rages between the saas-bahus against the chota bheems and pokemons and Dhoni/Neymar n'company not to add the music channels. The peace treaty has been sighed by the warring parties and it has been decided to commission another war zone oops Television aka led, plasmas etc etc.

Everyone was of the favor cheap and small but I on the contrary thought size does matter for 13 - 14 ft viewing distance and decided to sinfully indulge on a 42". Initially thought of 42ut50 as my budget can be super stretched to max 65k. However since the tv will be handled by 77years of cumulative experience (70 yrs old mom and a 7 yrs old daughter) thought of restricting the saliva to leds only.

Doing a lot of novice e=mc2 :cool: have me finalized philips 42" 7977 v7 :eek::eek:. Seems it has everything I am looking for except the pedigree, service assurance and other fellow customers.

Alts are the usual culprits Sony BRAVIA KDL-42W650 42", LG 42LA6130 42" and Samsung 40/46 F5100/5500/5600 and so on. Not sure I have missed anything but I won't know won't I. So dear friends need your guidance badly. My other tv at home is lg 29" crt connected to local cables which stays. The new tv will need additional dth which is another reason why philips 7977 has got my attention as it seems to come with videocon platinum hd pack for some 1000 bucks. I have received a quote of 65k for this tv with not further reduction possible even though I plan to haggle more. The free dth connection makes the effective cost lower over 2yrs by 10k approx. so friends need to validate whether I am a bit (ok a lot) inclined towards the mental side (my only half thinks I am the leader that side) to even think of splurging 65k odd on a philips rather than a Sony, Samsung etc. If anyone by any moment of apple biting :p have bought this tv please share your feedback. Sorry for a longish rant as pent up emotions find a path.

- Nil.Ban

hi dada,
yes go for leds than plasmas for a daily TV use..
but why not sony 430...cheap in fact..i think 53k..or like..
oh you mentioned free dth etc..
you can add a dth of your own still the cost is low..
nothing comes free..
btw your are from where?
i am from kalighat

Hello...

Great too see you already shortlisted LCD as per your requirements. Not many do that.

For 65K, look for Samsung 40F5500. You don't need 3D, right? But still do look at 40F6100 . Both fall within your budget. I haven't seen the Philips model mentioned.

Good luck.

I have seen the philips 7977.colors are natural in it.I do own philips 32 inch 6000 series led.The PQ is very good both in Hd and Sd.Just need some calibration. Im satisfied with its performance.Service is ok in my place.Bargain for a better price.

Dear All,

Many thanks for sharing valuable inputs. Just to add my feature priorities are:
Best PQ at the price (colors, images, devilish blacks, havenly whites, virtual reality :D etc.)
Full HD
USB and HDMI ports (not a lot in no but should be there)
3D (Not for regular use but for the fun factor)
Can be unsmart tv (not interested in facebook, twitter etc. have tab and laptops for them)

@Shaiju: Will prefer to have 3D (and the whole world :eek:hyeah:) since am spending this much. Would prefer to keep the novelty factor for time to time use (mainly for my kid and the kid in me). Will look at Samsung 40F5500 and 40F6100 for sure but what is the difference between 42" and 40" from viewing experience?

@Prosenjit: I am from Dunlop and yes I agree on plasma vs led. Plasma have probably better pq but they seem to need knowledgable users. Agree on Sony 430 but doesn't have the 3D novelty. But Sony 3Ds I can't afford.

@Sekarkrish: Great to find someone who has seen this tv and own Philips. Will try for better price but the only dealer I could get was hellbent on no further reduction and not even very willing to discuss further as well. I feel 60K should be ok. If you remember, how was the PQ (you said natural colors) and how will you rate it against my priorities.

Dear All,

Many thanks for sharing valuable inputs. Just to add my feature priorities are:
Best PQ at the price (colors, images, devilish blacks, havenly whites, virtual reality :D etc.)
Full HD
USB and HDMI ports (not a lot in no but should be there)
3D (Not for regular use but for the fun factor)
Can be unsmart tv (not interested in facebook, twitter etc. have tab and laptops for them)

@Shaiju: Will prefer to have 3D (and the whole world :eek:hyeah:) since am spending this much. Would prefer to keep the novelty factor for time to time use (mainly for my kid and the kid in me). Will look at Samsung 40F5500 and 40F6100 for sure but what is the difference between 42" and 40" from viewing experience?

@Prosenjit: I am from Dunlop and yes I agree on plasma vs led. Plasma have probably better pq but they seem to need knowledgable users. Agree on Sony 430 but doesn't have the 3D novelty. But Sony 3Ds I can't afford.

@Sekarkrish: Great to find someone who has seen this tv and own Philips. Will try for better price but the only dealer I could get was hellbent on no further reduction and not even very willing to discuss further as well. I feel 60K should be ok. If you remember, how was the PQ (you said natural colors) and how will you rate it against my priorities.

If you are looking for this : Best PQ at the price (colors, images, devilish blacks, heavenly whites, etc.)

Would not even look towards a LCD, plasma produce much better images, colors and blacks , just read through the forum and you will know.

I understand Dushie and in fact initially planned for 42UT50. I however backed off as
1> panasonic themselves aren't supplying them
2> lack of knowledge users at home may cause IR/Burns

That's the reason I thought Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips etc. are a good compromise. I shortlisted the Philips 7977 cause it is coming cheaper than others (with the features I am looking for) if I consider the cost of 2 years DTH platinum pack. However Samsung f6100 or sony HX750 seems good (slightly costlier) propositions as well. Now I am thoroughly confused :sad:.

Philips 7977 has better processing engine pixel perfect.The colors were natural.The color were not oversaturated.were pleasing to look.It would satisfy your requirement.I didnt test 3d.so i don't know about that aspect.Test it with your own videos and then decide.

@Viper, did look for the Toshiba and enquired with the shops near by. They are not aware of it.

Have decided to take a look at Samsung f6100 vis a visit philips 7977 and then decide. Sony hx 750 is going close to 70k.

I had gone to see Philips LED TV 42PHL6977 but it was not available, 42PFL7977 with 3D was available on display.

The TV was comparable to LG and Samsung and Sony led sets, even better than these with the blacks and natural colours reproduction. Specially skin colours appeared natural.This was with a short demo.

The difference between two is 7977 has 3D and perfect pixel HD engine; and 6977 has pixel plus HD engine. Difference in price is about 15K. Both are 240Hz perfect motion rate. Is 15K price difference justifiable for this difference. First i was not interested in 3D but may go for this.

Both models have inbuilt DTH receiver. Does not have optical digital out. No dolby digital decoder.
How will the 5.1 DTH signal can be transfered to 5.1 home theater?

This is with offer of Free 2yrs Platinum HD d2h subscription worth 12K.

plasma produce much better images, colors and blacks , just read through the forum and you will know.

I will have to disagree on this. Plasma will never produce better color than an LED.

Plasma is for movies... not usual TV viewing.

oh no more debate again on plasma and led..
beuty lies in the eye of beholder..
however for op..plaasma is omitted,,as it is mainly for dth viewing

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back