LED vs HID headlights for Indian bikes/scooters

udaykhan

I am probably touching a non-related topic for this forum but since it says General Lounge I suppose it may be OK.

My company posted me to a different location within the city and hence having to travel farther these days. This includes long stretches of road without adequate streetlighting. My TVS Jupiter's headlight beam is well designed in terms of focus, spread and beam pattern but I feel I need brighter light. TVS Jupiter has a HS1 35/35W PX43t halogen bulb of Phoenix make and I hear a HS1 slot can take both HS1 and H4 bulbs.

I have been looking at a lot of aftermarket Projector HID kits and now I am seeing many LED replacement bulbs on ebay.

I am aware that Projector HID kits, if properly installed, offer lot better light but it drains out the battery faster. I think it's a whole lot of changing the vehicle's wiring and battery - it's probably an overkill for a commuter bike / scooter.

LED replacement kits on the other hand claim to be requiring much less wattage and of being direct plug-in replacements without the need for any wiring changes, not even requiring projectors since they claim to have the LED illumination points exactly at the same locations as the halogen bulb's high / low beam filaments. I don't want to blind oncoming traffic or be a cop magnet.

Anyone has any experience with these? Any suggestion in this regard will greatly help me.

Regards,
Uday

No one done this before? This scooter has been around for more than an year I thought someone might have done this already...

Don't fall victim to any of the "kits" offered in the after market to convert incandescent lamps to HID or LED. Simply put the correct beam pattern cannot be achieved with the reflector in your existing headlight.

If you purchase a new assembly with a proper reflector, mounting, and aiming bits it might produce just a slight bit more light than your halogen bulb. Your Rp's would be better spent on a second lamp assembly mounted to work in tandem with the existing unit. This will put more light on the road, and make you more visible. Properly adjusted, with the correct beam pattern you will not annoy or dazzle oncoming traffic.

Do ignore the kits, and those that would increase your colour temperature toward blue. Your eyes will see less above about 5000K. (4300K is the usual OEM colour.)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back