LG 42 inch new model - Any reviews of LG 42LN5710

It is the 2013 lower end smart TV by LG. I saw this one at Croma. If smart features this TV provides are a must and you dont want 3d. This is actually a good choice for the price. Im sure you can bargain for less than 58k.

If budget allows, go for the next model LA6200, especially if you want 3d.

Also consider Samsung F5500 under 60k.

Compare them for PQ side by side at a store and then decide.

I personally think the LG has better colours, but the Samsung produces better blacks. Its because of the IPS panel(LG) and VA Panel(Samsung). LG has way better view angles though.

Got one of these yesterday.

Picture quality and features is amazing. BUT - the SOUND.... Oh dear.... the Bass is actually non-existent it is basically un-watchable.

Tried adjusting every setting but it makes so little difference.

Only way I can use this TV is to connect it via it's ONLY sound output connector - optical out to a surround sound system.

Got one of these yesterday.

Picture quality and features is amazing. BUT - the SOUND.... Oh dear.... the Bass is actually non-existent it is basically un-watchable.

Tried adjusting every setting but it makes so little difference.

Only way I can use this TV is to connect it via it's ONLY sound output connector - optical out to a surround sound system.

Do you have a very large room, just curious? Did you not audition the sound at the store? I never heard this TV so can't comment.

But I do remember people praising the sound on 5700(not 5710) and LA6200 on certain forums. They all have pretty much the same audio specs.

@Disco Dan: Please switch off Virtual Surround. Put it on Music mode, turn up the volume and confirm if still the sound is feeble?

I tried the sound on the 5710 and found the sound good after tinkering with the settings.

@Disco Dan: Please switch off Virtual Surround. Put it on Music mode, turn up the volume and confirm if still the sound is feeble?

I tried the sound on the 5710 and found the sound good after tinkering with the settings.

Feeble in all modes and settings.

Sounds tinny and un-watchable. Even in "user setting" mode turning up bass frequencies to full and mid/treble to min there is so little difference I wonder if they do anything at all.

Tried connecting it to a 5.1 surround system via the sky decoder (as the tv only has optical - who still uses that??) and then the sound is delayed and not in sync with the video! Even selecting 'audio sync' it makes no difference.

Looking at taking this TV back to the shop - it really is the worst sound I have ever had on a tv. My cell phone has better sound quality and frequency range than this tv.

Room size is average.

Sounds tinny and un-watchable. Even in "user setting" mode turning up bass frequencies to full and mid/treble to min there is so little difference I wonder if they do anything at all.

Tried connecting it to a 5.1 surround system via the sky decoder (as the tv only has optical - who still uses that??) and then the sound is delayed and not in sync with the video! Even selecting 'audio sync' it makes no difference.

Looking at taking this TV back to the shop - it really is the worst sound I have ever had on a tv. My cell phone has better sound quality and frequency range than this tv.

Room size is average.

I suggest returning it if the sound bothers you. Could even be specific to your TV. I would expect the default speakers to be quite good for the price.

If you can wait a few days, I have ordered this TV, I will check my set and give my opinion. I don't expect amazing sound but it must not be too feeble.

Room size is average.

Note that dth service also produces diff sound output. Hence check with other sources such as dvd player or external harddisk..

I suggest returning it if the sound bothers you. Could even be specific to your TV. I would expect the default speakers to be quite good for the price.

If you can wait a few days, I have ordered this TV, I will check my set and give my opinion. I don't expect amazing sound but it must not be too feeble.

I got this one today,Picture Quality is good,Sound is also quite good on my TV,I have a doubt regarding the magic remote,Do we need to buy dongle for Magic remote or we can directly connect the magic remote to the tv?

I got this one today,Picture Quality is good,Sound is also quite good on my TV,I have a doubt regarding the magic remote,Do we need to buy dongle for Magic remote or we can directly connect the magic remote to the tv?

I have this TV as well. PQ is very nice, even SD looks good im using crappy cable. I know the remote costs 2-3k but if there is a dongle it probably should be bundled with the remote. Not sure though.

@Disco Dan: I checked sound and the sound on TV watching cable is good, very watchable, I had to turn down the volume in some cases. No problem at all. But I have to admit, I put a USB stick in and played a 1080p movie and the sound was bad, no bass, I couldnt even hear people talk! The sound settings are also very basic in USB playback mode. I will call LG and ask probably.

@hashitsme: Could you try playing a USB movie and tell me if sound is good?

Took it back to the shop today... tested it and said it was fine and told us to all tv speakers are rubbish and to put up with it.

Tested a few other brands of TV for comparison - all sounded pretty poor except for the new silver Samsung.

Long story short - TV manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves, there is NO WAY this is watchable as a television.

Bitterly disappointed. After spending thousands on a new tv (when the last one ONLY lasted 4 years - whats with that??!!) the only way I can watch anything on it is spend MORE money on a upgrading sound system....

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I have this TV as well. PQ is very nice, even SD looks good im using crappy cable. I know the remote costs 2-3k but if there is a dongle it probably should be bundled with the remote. Not sure though.

@Disco Dan: I checked sound and the sound on TV watching cable is good, very watchable, I had to turn down the volume in some cases. No problem at all. But I have to admit, I put a USB stick in and played a 1080p movie and the sound was bad, no bass, I couldnt even hear people talk! The sound settings are also very basic in USB playback mode. I will call LG and ask probably.

@hashitsme: Could you try playing a USB movie and tell me if sound is good?

I played a 720p movie through USB,The voices were clear,There is some setting(I dont remember it exactly) like clear voice,After setting it to 3 voices were very clear,Can you please try to set that and test again.

Last edited:
I played a 720p movie through USB,The voices were clear,There is some setting(I dont remember it exactly) like clear voice,After setting it to 3 voices were very clear,Can you please try to set that and test again.

I can only set clear voice on or off in USB mode. In normal TV mode I have set it to 3.

I have also purchased this model last Friday from Reliance Mart (Digital). Everything looks fine. However I can see that there is some audio sync issue with this model. While playing on normal SD STB (Airtel), the sound is a little out of sync with the picture.... sound coming earlier than the picture.... however when I connect it with my home theater system, this sync issue becomes quite significant. I have tried to adjust the settings of Audio Sync that's available under the settings menu. It helps reduce the sync issue to some extent... but if I stop and play again... the sync issue becomes evident again with the same 'sync setting' being shown under the menu.
If anybody can suggest anything to rectify this....

Hey!

I just bought this Set from Singapore. Its not yet easily available in Bangalore. Its great set if you dont want smart features / 3D etc. I had an option of choosing the Smart TV (LN5700) model but that was about 200 SGD more. Its got the same hardware as the top end one, but without Internet / Optic out etc. In all i paid about Rs. 36K for the TV, including customs.

I use it with my AVR, and hence i only require one hdmi port into the tv. Sound / media playback all are governed by other devices, and hence this was a more practical purchase for me.

Now hunting for a Blu ray player - and mostly going to pick up the Pioneer BD150.

cheers!
Haren

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back