LG 49SM8100 Backlight Bleed Test & IPS Glow - Advice Needed !

yogesh498

Yesterday after 5 days installation happened finally. At night i tested the screen for any bleed or any other issues and found the follwing.

There is little light bleed at left bottom of the screen, rest is ips glow i guess.

On whole blacks the screen looks good only that small patch visible little white. What shall i do please advice guys ?

Also the local-diming thing is really annoying with vertical dimming patches are waste of a feature (turned that off).

Attachments

• this is actual bleed.jpg
    this is actual bleed.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 48
  • full screen.jpg
    full screen.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 48
All fairly common problems in IPS panels and local dimming in LG sets. You can try to play the lottery. Replace and see if the next one is better. No guarantees whatsover though.

All fairly common problems in IPS panels and local dimming in LG sets. You can try to play the lottery. Replace and see if the next one is better. No guarantees whatsover though.

Who knows next one will be worst or better than this :p

Yesterday after 5 days installation happened finally. At night i tested the screen for any bleed or any other issues and found the follwing.

There is little light bleed at left bottom of the screen, rest is ips glow i guess.

On whole blacks the screen looks good only that small patch visible little white. What shall i do please advice guys ?

Also the local-diming thing is really annoying with vertical dimming patches are waste of a feature (turned that off).
My brother uses a lg ips panel 43 inch tv. Similar observations. Guess it’s common in ips panels of lg tv’s

I am trying to avoid the same but that white patch in dark scenes gets all my attention :confused: o_O
I have noticed this in most of the ips panels. I have a Sony triluminous display and it handles the dark scenes well but has torchlight effect on four corners . So don’t be overthinking and watch knowing ur tv is working the way it is supposed to. Even if u call lg they will say this is how dark scenes. You can call them and have it checked for ur satisfaction but from what I see in the picture its common in all LG ips panel tvs

Last edited:
I am trying to avoid the same but that white patch in dark scenes gets all my attention :confused: o_O

There was a guy on Reddit who posted about this only. Eventually, LG offered to replace his TV or gave him an option to upgrade to B8 after paying an overpriced sum. I helped him bargain it to a reasonable amount. He got a B9. See if you can do the same. OLEDs are excellent. I have an OLED with bad dark grey uniformity, but it's visible in like really really rare situations. IPS glow, or even VA like my Iffalcon TV, is a lot more annoying.

I have noticed this in most of the ips panels. I have a Sony triluminous display and it handles the dark scenes well but has torchlight effect on four corners . So don’t be overthinking and watch knowing ur tv is working the way it is supposed to. Even if u call lg they will say this is how dark scenes. You can call them and have it checked for ur satisfaction but from what I see in the picture its common in all LG ips panel tvs

I have lg ips monitor, which has same issue but after few tweaks in picture settings i forgot that now. tonight will try to do the same with this & will see the impact.

There was a guy on Reddit who posted about this only. Eventually, LG offered to replace his TV or gave him an option to upgrade to B8 after paying an overpriced sum. I helped him bargain it to a reasonable amount. He got a B9. See if you can do the same. OLEDs are excellent. I have an OLED with bad dark grey uniformity, but it's visible in like really really rare situations. IPS glow, or even VA like my Iffalcon TV, is a lot more annoying.

If i do that i might have to pay the same price again for that oled :p

OLED's are very expensive!

If i do that i might have to pay the same price again for that oled :p

OLED's are very expensive!

They are, but it's worth saving up to them. I remember seeing the first one 5-6 years ago in a showroom, and at that time, price for the 55 inch one only was exorbitant. Now at least it's within reach for more people, and prices are dropping, even if they are inflated overall in India.

Finally after taking demo of Panasonic gx750 and lg sm8100 ,bought the lg sm8100 49 inch. Received the tv today, installation is awaited. I had read a lot of articles regarding light bleed on ips panels, but still decided to go ahead with the tv. Will check with various clips. But what I know , the tv does good with 95% of the content played on it. Keeping fingers crossed will provide update when it's installed.

Finally after taking demo of Panasonic gx750 and lg sm8100 ,bought the lg sm8100 49 inch. Received the tv today, installation is awaited. I had read a lot of articles regarding light bleed on ips panels, but still decided to go ahead with the tv. Will check with various clips. But what I know , the tv does good with 95% of the content played on it. Keeping fingers crossed will provide update when it's installed.

Good luck :) It's an awesome tv.

Whats the deal you got?

Good luck :) It's an awesome tv.

Whats the deal you got?
Tv got installed today ! Very happy with the picture quality . Watched jack Ryan on prime . So far so good. Black levels are good. The tv speakers are damn good. YouTube at volume 12 is loud enough for my 10*10 room. Will update after watching a few more movies. Got the tv on Diwali offer. With one year extended warranty,jio dongle, cash back, one year insurance, free swivel stand.

My request for complaint is pending so far from last 5 days, engineer took video and photo of the screen told after 2 days someone will call but no one called. Over whatsapp today LG support said "request of Led is pending for part." Lets see what happens next.

Tv got installed today ! Very happy with the picture quality . Watched jack Ryan on prime . So far so good. Black levels are good. The tv speakers are damn good. YouTube at volume 12 is loud enough for my 10*10 room. Will update after watching a few more movies. Got the tv on Diwali offer. With one year extended warranty,jio dongle, cash back, one year insurance, free swivel stand.

Great buy then. :)
If possible please share the pic of swivel stand you got with the tv? Because installation team first gave me a big bracket and later came & gave smaller one by saying wrongly given to you.
will be wall mounting it later.

Last edited:
My request for complaint is pending so far from last 5 days, engineer took video and photo of the screen told after 2 days someone will call but no one called. Over whatsapp today LG support said "request of Led is pending for part." Lets see what happens next.

Great buy then. :)
If possible please share the pic of swivel stand you got with the tv? Because installation team first gave me a big bracket and later came & gave smaller one by saying wrongly given to you.
will be wall mounting it later.
Extremely sorry...i mistakenly wrote it as swivel stand. It's 6 way swivel wall mount.

Some advise needed friends !

Today on call from LG manager, have been advised to get full panel replaced (repair). I asked for replacement but then he said serial number will change and only 1 year warranty will be applied. I am confused to keep the current tv or get the repair done of a brand new tv. :(

Should i keep on asking for replacement ? :confused:

@Marakk @pratik2000

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back