LG fridge recommendation?

Viveksh

I'm so sad. My family recently lost a good friend. Our fridge of 30 years broke :( Now that the mourning is done we need a new one. Anyone has a suggestion on a good side-by-side fridge?

@viveksh. Why don't you go and have a look at one of nearby electronic stores. I think Samsung one's are good. Also heard good things about Whirlpool.

I will not go into the brand debate. I think that there is very little to choose or differentiate between LG or Samsung (or for that matter Godrej, Haier and other such brands).

A side-by-side fridge (SBS) is a great buy or an overkill depending upon the requirements:
  • It makes a great status statement, looks great and very impressive.
  • The impressiveness/status statement comes at a high cost. Make sure that you are getting money's worth.
  • A typical SBS model's space is 40~45% freezer and rest for standard refridgeration.
  • Unless there is a great requirement of frozen items, the freezer section will lie unused.
  • The SBS design is such that the non-freezer section is taller than wider. This could hamper stowage.
  • Great importance must be given to vegetable storage rack. I have often found that this appears to be big but practically is not so.

Hey Viveksh, LG WRman Joy here!

Let me first offer you my deepest sympathy for your loss. We all know how painful it is to say goodbye to an appliance friend. But cheer up because I know the perfect substitute for your refrigerator. Have you heard of Wonder Door? It's LG's new line of side-by-side refrigerator. The Wonder Door is a system that will allow you to save time and money. This is a new section built in the front door of the fridge. There, you can store your favorite products or the ones that you use the most and you will be able to find them easily instead of searching for 10 minutes everytime in the refrigerator. Also since you won't be opening the front door all the time it will make you save energy and freshness because some products don't handle well the change of temperature that occurs when you open the door. So even though your family is having a rough time right now I'm convinced this refrigerator will help you move on.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask or check out the official site for more info at Side-By-Side Refrigerators: Find LG Wonder Door Refrigerators | LG India

LG WRman Joy out!

Man, that's a bummer! All my condolences. I just want to confirm the WRman, that Wonder Door system is a marvel, specially for a big family.

A 30 year fridge itself should be a world record!!! RIP.
Not really.

1. The Godrej refrigerator in my in-laws' kitchen was purchased in 1978. It's compressor gas was refilled once. It is still working.
2. Our own Voltas single door 310 L was purchased in 1992. It was working till 2007. We sold it because we were tired of the defrosting and wanted a frost-free model. I am sure that it would have continued to work today also. Worked without faults till it was sold.

Those old models were built to last. Our 2007 purchased double door Whirpool required PCB replacement twice.

Not really.

1. The Godrej refrigerator in my in-laws' kitchen was purchased in 1978. It's compressor gas was refilled once. It is still working.
2. Our own Voltas single door 310 L was purchased in 1992. It was working till 2007. We sold it because we were tired of the defrosting and wanted a frost-free model. I am sure that it would have continued to work today also. Worked without faults till it was sold.

Those old models were built to last. Our 2007 purchased double door Whirpool required PCB replacement twice.

We had a Godrej Refrigerator that worked for 17years after which the compressor gave up. We now have a Samsung double door fridge. Using for the past 6 yrs. It required a defrost timer replacement few months back. Today's manufacturers focus more on fancy features than longevity.

My Kelvinator corona 165 ltrs was bought in 1987. Still working perfectly except the frost buildup every 20-30 days we have to defrost it by switching it off.
now looking to sell it off! (hope i find a buyer) ang get a new one...which one , still got to decide...panasonic, heir, hitachi??? dont want to go for regular lg/samsung. my budget is under 30-35K. Suggest some models guys.

Saket

Both Samsung and LG have good ones. The LG SBS (only the top end models aaaarrgghhhh!!!!!) have this Small Door within the left Door useful for easy access to daily beverages. But beware, these SBS fridges cost a fortune 0_o

My Kelvinator corona 165 ltrs was bought in 1987. Still working perfectly except the frost buildup every 20-30 days we have to defrost it by switching it off.
now looking to sell it off! (hope i find a buyer) ang get a new one...which one , still got to decide...panasonic, heir, hitachi??? dont want to go for regular lg/samsung. my budget is under 30-35K. Suggest some models guys.

Saket

LG WRman Joy here!

If you want a good refrigerator suggestion, you should tell us how many people will be using it! The capacity of the refrigerator should be your number one concern whenever making a fridge purchase.

I know you said you didn't want to go for an LG model, but just in case you change your mind, allow me to suggest you one anyway. You can get a 320 Litre Frost Free LG Refrigerator for less than 30k.

Check out this model: LG GL-338VE4 Double Door Refrigerator - 320 Litres Frost Free Refrigerator with Green Ion Door Cooling Technology - LG Electronics IN.

LG WRman Joy, out!

My main grouse with all double-door/frost free fridges of today of whatever manufacturer is that these are not tailored for Indian conditions. These models were designed in the west for the west (by west I mean the meat eating world). They have been blindly imported and sold to Indians who are mainly vegetarians.

A typical DD fridge has nearly 40% capacity allocated to the freezer. And when it goes to the high end / high capacity models the ratio is even more skewed. For DD SBS fridge this is nealy 45%. Most of the time this space is wasted for Indians. Other than ice trays and sometimes a block of icecream there is nothing occupying this space.

The fridges of yesteryears including the double door types were designed with the Indian requirements with the freezer taking at most 20% of the capacity. Recently at Croma, I observed a family eagerly looking at a SBS DD fridge. I couldn't help asking the lady, "Madam, tell me what are you going to fill the freezer section with? This may be a 720 litre fridge but in reality you are buying a 400 litre model." Whether my comments made any impact or not, I do not know.

While the theory may not apply to all, one should consider the optimum, nay maximum usage of available space in a fridge.

My main grouse with all double-door/frost free fridges of today of whatever manufacturer is that these are not tailored for Indian conditions. These models were designed in the west for the west (by west I mean the meat eating world). They have been blindly imported and sold to Indians who are mainly vegetarians.

A typical DD fridge has nearly 40% capacity allocated to the freezer. And when it goes to the high end / high capacity models the ratio is even more skewed. For DD SBS fridge this is nealy 45%. Most of the time this space is wasted for Indians. Other than ice trays and sometimes a block of icecream there is nothing occupying this space.

The fridges of yesteryears including the double door types were designed with the Indian requirements with the freezer taking at most 20% of the capacity. Recently at Croma, I observed a family eagerly looking at a SBS DD fridge. I couldn't help asking the lady, "Madam, tell me what are you going to fill the freezer section with? This may be a 720 litre fridge but in reality you are buying a 400 litre model." Whether my comments made any impact or not, I do not know.

While the theory may not apply to all, one should consider the optimum, nay maximum usage of available space in a fridge.

Agreed almost fully, except that i like to chill beer cans for 20 mins in the freezer before opening them, and I cant store the 500ml cans if more than a few are required. Normally one suffices but for a regular party animal it will be tight.

Cheers :cheers:
--G0bble

Why dont you try LG GC-L217BPXV? I suggest you to go and check out the specification of this model, it might be suited for your purpose. As far as the price is concerned it costs around 80 to 82k including tax.

I very much second just4kix; freezing needs of us Indians are quite limited and what we require is a fridge that can be used for storing vegetables, fruits and water bottles. I find the idea of a water dispenser also appealing that means you don't have to open fridge just to get cold water. Take for example the model GC-J237AGXN from LG that looks good and also has good storage capacity. I guess it is called wonder door as it is a multi door fridge.

Ah, I haven't checked up here for a while. How is everyone doing? Hi bagainitish, thanks for the good words on the LG World Record Wonder Door fridge. The external water dispenser is also probably my favorite thing about the Wonder Door since I'm dehydrated all the time and water needs to always be on my sight. Great to know that someone shares the same sentiment with me about it :D.

LG WRman Joy out!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back