Lii (song) audio silver 8.

Sushant Sharma

I got these looking at the reviews and value for money. And mostly because a friend overseas could carry the drivers for me. And also to see what full range drivers do.

I am going to keep my post short as i have a habit of shooting from the hip with regards hifi merit of equipment. A big bold "YOUR MILEAGE MIGHT VARY" but not in a way to dissuade any others who might be interested in treading this route.

I first played them naked and then in the cardboard boxes they came in. Yes, there was a difference. I initially had plans to build a bestsy baffle and thanks to yogibear on the forum who replied to my messages and helped me with dimensions etc and that coupled with my reading on the internet gave me more confidence.
However, I eventually chose to build transmission line cabinets in accordance with dimensions adveritsed by the maker of the drivers.
I am enjoying them and it's a good purchase. Yes bass can be augmented further but I think theres a nice midrange heft and vocals are very enjoyable. Now I plan to buy a nice veneer to wrap up the ugly 18mm plywood.

Attachments

• 20230224_212035.jpg
    20230224_212035.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20230224_215251.jpg
    20230224_215251.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 20230224_234632.jpg
    20230224_234632.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 111
  • 20230224_234654.jpg
    20230224_234654.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20230227_140409.jpg
    20230227_140409.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20230227_154426.jpg
    20230227_154426.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Did you measure the TSP of the drivers ?

I guess low end should improve as they break-in and loosen up.
I just googled TSP and watched a video to see how one would measure it. :) I dont think I have the tools to measure it.
I am liking the speakers and break in bringing any further welcome gains will be a bonus.

See if anyone around can help. It’s like keeping a “medical record” of your favorite toy !!!

And it helps knowing what’s happening and why it’s happening in your particular enclosure and may help in further optimization later….
Thanks @yogibear Let me see what I can do. Thanks for all your help and feedback.

Nice to see these, Sushant. I'm sure they sound great and am glad you are enjoying them. I know how helpful @yogibear always is, he was a great help to me too when I built my Audio Nirvana OBs that don't cease to fascinate me with their mid range magic.
The TSP is generally provided by the driver manufacturer along with the specification sheet. If not, they'll happily send them to you.
Happy listening!

Nice to see these, Sushant. I'm sure they sound great and am glad you are enjoying them. I know how helpful @yogibear always is, he was a great help to me too when I built my Audio Nirvana OBs that don't cease to fascinate me with their mid range magic.
The TSP is generally provided by the driver manufacturer along with the specification sheet. If not, they'll happily send them to you.
Happy listening!
Thanks Kishore. Maybe somewhere subconsciously, listening to your Audio Nirvana OBs is what led me to buying these FRs. :) yes the midrange magic is very enjoyable. Also,that vintage amp of yours is the best looking piece of gear I have seen in a while, needless to say it sounds the part too.
As mentioned by yogibear, there has been some talk on the internet about the published specs for Lii audio being slightly off. Having said that there drivers still seem to gain a lot of positive reviews and people are DIYing Lionidas and open baffles with the 15 inchers especially.

All dolled up :) chose these colors from the internet, same drivers somebody else put in similar coloured cabinets. Wood veneer seemed plain jane and the hassle of polish so went with this laminate combo. In a lighter vein, on day one, these green things peering down at you, might not be for everybody. glad all little cracks between joints (before the laminate was added) are now packed tight.
20230308_213201.jpg

Last edited:
All dolled up :) chose these colors from the internet, same drivers somebody else put in similar coloured cabinets. Wood veneer seemed plain jane and the hassle of polish so went with this laminate combo. In a lighter vein, on day one, these green things peering down at you, might not be for everybody. glad all little cracks between joints (before the laminate was added) are now packed tight.
View attachment 75642
This colour combination is looking beautiful 😍👌👌.

Happy to know you are pleased with the sound. You have both horns and full rangers now. Both of which I've never heard, but have a hankering to try atleast once.

Wow Sushant! I had no idea you were into diy too :)
Both speakers look amazing! Though I have to ask: what are those little boxes perched on top?

Wow Sushant! I had no idea you were into diy too :)
Both speakers look amazing! Though I have to ask: what are those little boxes perched on top?
Thanks @coaltrain. The little ones perched on top are fountek ribbon tweeters. They are meant for the compression drivers on the Lyrita horn speakers but I am just messing about seeing what they do with the Lii single drivers.

With regards DIY, I try my best but every project finally ends up at the Carpenter"s. 🤣

Nice-work--lovely cabinets. Congratulations on your project and thank you for posting it. It's good to see someone making larger enclosures. Seems quite a nice driver and I'm also glad you are enjoying it. There are certain things that can be known irrespective of driver data given the geometry of the enclosure. If cabinets are empty and if you have not experimented with any lining or filling, it may be beneficial to add some acoustically resistive material if you are willing to work through the hole. Much depends on your own preferences and program material, so it may be perfect for you as it is. Just wanted to mention that the presentation of such speakers is not fixed in one permanent state in case such was not known. The things I listen to and my own preferences would have me doing something like this (yes, irresp of driver parameters but from quick modeling of "organ pipe" resonances and from years of living with pipes), but people and usage differ greatly. Again, that is only what I would do for me as an example if you are new to that world of widerangers in pipes. I think it is really good to listen to it as it is for a while as well. Single drivers are of large educational value IMO and it's good to see someone take a plunge for the ear-time alone. Applaud your commitment to the audio exploration and thank you again for sharing!

Attachments

• example_scr.jpg
    example_scr.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 39
Nice-work--lovely cabinets. Congratulations on your project and thank you for posting it. It's good to see someone making larger enclosures. Seems quite a nice driver and I'm also glad you are enjoying it. There are certain things that can be known irrespective of driver data given the geometry of the enclosure. If cabinets are empty and if you have not experimented with any lining or filling, it may be beneficial to add some acoustically resistive material if you are willing to work through the hole. Much depends on your own preferences and program material, so it may be perfect for you as it is. Just wanted to mention that the presentation of such speakers is not fixed in one permanent state in case such was not known. The things I listen to and my own preferences would have me doing something like this (yes, irresp of driver parameters but from quick modeling of "organ pipe" resonances and from years of living with pipes), but people and usage differ greatly. Again, that is only what I would do for me as an example if you are new to that world of widerangers in pipes. I think it is really good to listen to it as it is for a while as well. Single drivers are of large educational value IMO and it's good to see someone take a plunge for the ear-time alone. Applaud your commitment to the audio exploration and thank you again for sharing!
Thank you @grindstone. I am tempted to further tinker around after reading your post.
Just to share my limited and inexperienced insight...So far, i have tried the drivers without lining and later with foam lining (2 inches thick foam i think but i have only lined roughly 50 percent of the insides).
I also initially had a less labyrinthine pipe inside the cabinet and then added another layer. One thing I can certainly say is the cabinet (and the design of the cabinet) makes all the difference. It seems to me (I can only talk from my limited experince with this project) the speaker cabinet decides how it all sounds and is of paramount importance.
I also have on quick rotation played a few records through these speakers with my associated gear and found the wow factor to be not so much. I am insinuating very lightly that digital music seems to be shining more. I might be going out on a limb with this finding but thats just what i have felt thus far. However, I am reserving the room to change my mind on this in future if I feel otherwise:)

I also agree with what is repeated very often that given complimentary source material and I refer here to (but not just limited to) small ensemble and voices, the connection with music through single drivers is heavenly. American IV The man comes around by Johnny Cash, he is not fully in my living room but almost knocking to come in :)

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back