List of Blind purchases (Success : Failure)

cmsajith

Just wanted to know the list of blind purchases made by everyone without any audition or based on reviews.

To start with, following is my list:

- Onkyo 606 (2 months used) : Success (w/o any auditioning). Did the decision in a couple of hours.
- Nakamichi RE-10 (used) : Success to some extend (w/o any auditioning). Quick decision. Anyways sold for the same price as i bought and replaced it with Quad 909 after a lot of research.
- Draper 115" Manual Pull Down screen : Success. Took the decision in less than an hour to get it for a stealing price.
- Beresford Caiman DAC : Success (based on online reviews)
- NuForce NE-6 IEM : Success (based on online reviews)

No failures so far (touch wood) :)

Last edited:
OK, I'll surprise everyone by my statement. Everything in my signature, except the plasma, was bought blind, based purely on research !!!!! I dont have much options for audition in my city, so had no option.

So far as the plasma is concerned, I did audition it in E-Zone, but the exercise was no great shakes, since they didnt have any half decent DVDp/cables hooked up.

So far as I am concerned, success rate is 100% and HFV deserves a lot of credit for it.

I have bought quite a few of them.
The following HT components more than 10-12 years ago:
- Marantz AV550 DD processor/preamp
- Rotel RB 9xx 5 ch. power amp (6x60W)
- Paradigm subwoofer (don't remember the model number. 120w powered sub)
5-6 years ago:
- Nak CA-5 stereo preamp (used on ebay)
- Pass X-150 power amp (used from audiogon)
- Infocus 4805 projector
More recently
- Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player.
- Denon 3930 DVD player (used from ebay). - purely based on online reviews. Was originally planning to get this player modded (I/V, clock etc). But changed my mind
- I have asked my brother (who is handy with these things) to assemble a DAC for me (based on Buffalo DAC kit from Twisted Pear audio).
All the ones I have got so far have been roaring success.
Come to think of it, most of my gear was bought based on reputation. My speaker is the only one I listened to first before deciding to buy.

Onkyo 606 = Using for 1 year Success - decent setup with HTS 230
Standalone HTS 230 (5.1) = VFM - Average (had no money left at that time so went for this) - time to upgrade
Norge 1000 = VFM - Success (tried the setup with Wharfdale multiple time - free home audition for 2 days)
Beresford Caiman = Blind Purchase - Success (first time wife gave soem decent compliments for the overall setup with Norge and Mission - earlier it was slighlty too forward for her liking). Just been 2 days now
HTPC = Blind obviously since custom built - Success Over 2 TB of storage, impeccable 1080p playback, great sound (Xonar will e sent back to friend who is coming back)
Panasonic PV8 = Success Auditioned for 20 mins while coming back form a hospital though researched for 3 months before that. Love it. But warranting a upgrade in terms of size
CDP - Coming soon (blind obviously based on review) - will update the thread when it comes.

all - my purchases - were self-initiated - and all were failures - there was always something better-

but - i must say-

i am smiling the big smile with -

the purchase of ajay124's cds -

amazing value!

Logitech Squeezebox Duet --- success with a few hassles

My first ever hifi was a blind purchase. I got so fed up with specs I didn't understand, and trying to make up my mind, that I told the shop guy my budget and took what he recommended! That was Sony amp, cassette and speakers, Akai (I think) deck. It satisfied me for a good few years, and was very much better than the name "sony" miht have you thinking. That was at the original Richer Sounds shop in London, when it was one great treasure chest at bargain prices :)

Bought an Axiom M3Ti based Purely on web reviews. We dont have much information on HFV as well. I am very happy with the purchase.

Tannoy mercury F1-

I asked to order without audition(as not available in Mumbai that time)reading whatshifi review & recommendation with Onkyo AVR.

Complete Success .

My first Hifi purchase - PSB Alpha B1 - was a blind buy. It was not available for audition and I based my purchase solely on reviews. It was an astounding success for me then :). After that most of my purchases have not just been based on auditions but on home auditions in particular. Rare exceptions were the NAD C372 (which was bought from Dubai) and the Behringer DEQ2496 unit.

Little OT

Got Nikon Coolpix 5MP camera 6 years back without any idea. Still going strong after clicking some 5K snaps.
Recently got Sony HDD Handycam in grey -Success. (Had to settle fot this as 3CCD was unavailable & not intrested in Full HD)

WD TV: I was the one of the earliest and didnt know what it was as there was no online review also. I think its one of the best decision ever.

DacMagic Mk2: Have heard the new DM. But someone how felt my DM older version was more musical and warm. Went blind and got a almost 10 yrs old DM MK2. Have been really glad with that.

good thread :eek:hyeah:.here goes,...

1.every component in my signature,:p!!!was working abroad and had no way to audition,let alone see anything.success
2.Bose companion3 series2 rig,to use with my Toshiba Satellite A300(also,a blind purchase),only alternative then and this was a mth before joining HFV!!still,did the job.success
3.HTC P3300,great phone at the time.success
4.ipod nano 3g with sennheiser cx400 iem,good solution at the time bought,and now with the fiio E1 in the chain,better.success
5.audio technica ANC7,very decent cans,tho the NC(its USP)for me is a total bummer,hence putting it up for sale soon as it needs a better home.failure

all these have been great choices in the circumstances,and our hobby is all about the journey,yes???cheers

Hi All,

Below are my blind purchases and the respective results:

1. Sony EX Monitor MDR-EX85LP In ear earphones (3k INR) - Result: Average:indifferent14:
2. Shure SE115 Sound Isolating Earphones (50 pounds) - Result: Failure:mad:
3. Shure e2c in ear earphones (50 pounds) - Result: Failure:mad:
4. Archos 605 WiFi 30 gb media player (200 pounds) - Result: Success:)
5. Sony A818 mp3 player (90 pounds) - Result: Success:)
6. Apple iPod 120gb (14k INR) - Result: Success:)
7. Koss Porta Pro headphones (60 Aus $) - Result: Super Success:yahoo:
8. Sony a200 DSLR (290 pounds) - Result: Super Success:yahoo:
9. Sigma 70-300mm telescopic lens (100 pounds) - Result: Success :)
10. NAD C350 Stereo Integrated Amplifier (13k INR) - Result: Super Success:yahoo:
11. Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 (8k INR) - Result: Average. Though it was not perfect, I made it perfect by modding the speaker as described in the below post::clapping:
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/11369-dismantling-wharfedale-diamond-8-2-speakers.html

Cheers!
Vivek

All my portable audio devices, Headphones and IEMs (thanks to Head-fi) : Success
Almost all my rig (except for speakers, without audition): Success
Speakers (after 4 auditions) + My room (after 4 years of using it): Failure :)

My list goes this way

Ayon CD1 > Success ( few hours decision ) :yahoo:
Usher BE 718 > Success :yahoo:
Nikon D200 > Success : :yahoo:
Nikon 60 mm macro > Success :yahoo:

Thanks

Pratim

My recent purchases: -

'Ultravocs' Ipod dock cum Radio - Reasonably good sound but pricey (Rebranded Chinese product being sold @ 55% premium):mad:

Marantz CD6003 CDP - Good sound but pricey (Considering that it is brought in grey market w/o bill & warranty):mad:

Class D Stereo Amp kit CDA 254 - Very good sound:)

Accoustic Potrait Bookshelf speakers - Rock solid build & quality components and fair price but the room & Amp are not up to driving it.:annoyed:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back