Listening to Alternate Amplifiers through same Speakers

jayants

Hi,

This is a Amplifier Changer which I got it done by a Professional.Here you can connect 2 Amplifiers and hear it through one common pair of Speakers.

There is a switch selector which will turn Red/Green thus selecting the Amp one wish to listen to.All these are gold plated and there is practically no loss of any signal at all.

Now I can connect my Nak through one Amp and Sonodyne/Akai Deck through other Amp and listen through the same pair of Speakers.

Have a look and share your views please.

AmpChanger_zpsb8261ff3.jpg

Nice work. Many have done this before though.
I would have preferred the connectors on the sides of the box.
The input and output on opposite sides.
How does the LED work?

It is cool.:clapping:

I am looking for such a speaker/amp seletor.

Could you show me inside of the cabinet.

It is cool.:clapping:

I am looking for such a speaker/amp seletor.

Could you show me inside of the cabinet.

As I have done it through a professional I didn't open it.If required I can pass on his number and u can coordinate.

ensure that both amps are off while switching

Is the switching relay based? Do you provide your speaker switch box with a power source? If this is not the case, I assume the LEDs are feeding off the outputs, which is not a great idea.

ensure that both amps are off while switching

Is the switching relay based? Do you provide your speaker switch box with a power source? If this is not the case, I assume the LEDs are feeding off the outputs, which is not a great idea.

Yes both Amps are powered off while switching.

What do u mean by relay base? Pls explain.

The speaker switch box has a power source and it gets ON only when switched on.

Last edited:
I can see two diagonal screws which is probably holding a transformer inside.

No idea why a power source is needed to switch inputs to a set of speakers.

I use a Amberry and it works like a charm. Completely passive without any power requirments.

A good switcher should have passive routing switch without any external power supply .

6-Port Speaker Selector Amplifier Switch Selector

Also that instead of that Rs. 10 DPDT switch, pro quality selector switch could have been used.

I can see two diagonal screws which is probably holding a transformer inside.

No idea why a power source is needed to switch inputs to a set of speakers.

I use a Amberry and it works like a charm. Completely passive without any power requirments.

A good switcher should have passive routing switch without any external power supply .

6-Port Speaker Selector Amplifier Switch Selector

Also that instead of that Rs. 10 DPDT switch, pro quality selector switch could have been used.

How is your Amberry product doing? And how much it cost u including shipping to India?

Good initiative jayant, do you know what brand and gauge of wires have been used to complete the internal connection of the selector?

How is your Amberry product doing? And how much it cost u including shipping to India?

Its's good and the cost was $40 (since I had someone buy it from a store in Phoenix, Arizona.) Shipping was zero since it was carried by the same person.

The unit is light weight.

Total cost Rs. 2762.00

Good initiative jayant, do you know what brand and gauge of wires have been used to complete the internal connection of the selector?

The guage of wire used is 1 sq mm and those are SR branded speaker cables which are used inside.The max length of a wire inside is 2.5 inches.The switch changer is an electronic routing switch and its electronically relay controlled.

Hope that clarifies!!

Its a SPDT Switch and is used only to ON the Relay circuit.

I believe a simple passive switchover would have been great since you will be switching off both the amps when you switch over. See the schematic of the Amberry one. There is no relay or power involved.

Why complicate having a relay and a power supply inside the cabinet and that too local made ones? A short circuit can blow off both your speakers and amp.

What is the benefit? I am curious.

I believe a simple passive switchover would have been great since you will be switching off both the amps when you switch over. See the schematic of the Amberry one. There is no relay or power involved.

Why complicate having a relay and a power supply inside the cabinet and that too local made ones? A short circuit can blow off both your speakers and amp.

What is the benefit? I am curious.

A short circuit can happen with any of the devices which we play and the result of BLOWING OFF will remain the same :)

The relay contacts would be better than push button switches. Better still are rotary switches with wiping contacts which self clean the contacts with every operation.
So a relay based switch with a low current toggle switch to operate the relay is a good and relatively inexpensive solution.
It might be a good idea to try some mains power switches like Salzer ! They are very high current sliding contacts. The contact surface will also most likely be greater than a small relay. These switches are not very expensive either.

You do not have to turn off the amplifiers. Just ensure that you aren't playing music when you switch over. The only problem that could occur if you switch with loud music playing is if a spark occurs at the switch terminals. Then that would give a conducting path from one amp into the other amps output and possibly cause a short circuit and damaged power transistors. At low level this couldn't happen. Try using high current relays ( like 20/30 Amp rated contacts).
They should be enclosed contacts to prevent contact deterioration due to contamination from the air.

Hi guys, I use the Beresford TC-7220 AUDIO ROUTER MKII. It is a passive heavy duty amp/speaker router. It is priced at GBP 80 which is equivalent of rs 8000 & it can be shipped, at additional cost, directly to India from UK. Fore more details use this link--Beresford TC-7220 MKII

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back