Lookin to rock ma room

sauron

I need a good set of 5.1 speakers for ma computer (currently usin 4 yrs old crappy Artis X10 mini) to be placed in ma tiny 10x12 room [budget is a lowly 30k can be stretched by 5k at da max] !!!

Ma requirements are pretty clear - I need somethin that can decode DTS HD, Dolby True HD, AAC, AC3, FLAC [better if MP3 as well] plus speakers that aren't too huge for ma room !!!

Tried for Creative DDTS 100 but aint gettin any reviews or price quotes !!!
Anybody wid some idea bout Asus Xonar D2X ???

Checked a few threads already posted here
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/12521-search-music-ends-nowhere-pune.html
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...08-alternatives-yamaha-htib-yht-392-pune.html

Yet to complete this one
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-box/10751-onkyo-hts-3300-a.html

But most of these refer to AVRs n in ma case the Video part of an AVR would remain fairly unused !!!

Already been to Croma, eZone, Vijay Sales n AVXellence but not been able to zero down on any specific model yet !!!

Contemplatin Onkyo 3300 n JBL Cinestyle 9 - if anybody has a better n concise solution please help me !!!

Though currently usin low end Creative soundcard, da onboard sound of PC has optical out

[So sorry to ask too many questions n provide so little info] :(

EDIT: I forgot to mention that ma usage would be 40% music, 60% muVs n TV Shows !!!

Last edited:
Oh come'on guys no suggestions yet !!!

Anyways I'll be goin for either Denon 1311 or Onkyo TX SR508 - dependin purely on availability !!!

If only someone could please suggest me 5.1 speakers in da range of 20-25k ???

hahahah!
Mordor like "LOTR - Mordor"???

anyway....you can try hooking up a good soundcard DIRECTLY to active "studio monitors"...but its highly perceptive.....
I recommend you try listenin to Studio monitors, not everyone likes their sound.....

OH....and remember......a good "stereo" system for the same price and be a MUCH better experience than a bad 5.1 setup!

infact....go for the best active Stereo speakers you can afford, pairing them with a good soundcard which can decode DTSHD....expand and add speakers as you go along with time

Hemant said:
what is your location?
where is Mordor?
From Pune bro - as mentioned in ma intro !!! :)
http://www.hifivision.com/introductions/14031-im-new.html#post193906

Jagger VM said:
OH....and remember......a good "stereo" system for the same price and be a MUCH better experience than a bad 5.1 setup!
Is 25k too low a budget for decent 5.1 speakers considerin ma room is only 10x12 ???

Jagger VM said:
infact....go for the best active Stereo speakers you can afford, pairing them with a good soundcard which can decode DTSHD
Da way I take that is if I go for a soundcard I'll also have to go for an AMP ...

Instead why not go for an AVR + speakers ???

Jagger VM said:
expand and add speakers as you go along with time
Would try to avoid this - since I'd eventually be payin a lot more than I originally anticipate/allocate - been down that road while gettin ma PC !!!

Sauron ....

Can you clarify a bit .... what exactly your set up is ... I didn't quire get dat ...
Are you gonna hook up the AVR to your HTPC ..... If you are gonna have a good sound card, you don need an AVR that bad ... u can go for some high end 7.1 speaker set .... But if you are planning for a Home theatre setup ... yeah it demands nice AVR and some good RMS speakers

CHEERS

I dont know whether you are okay with grey items. If you are low on budget and dont have any problem with grey items you can try pioneer VSX-520 (INR 15500) and for a decent 5.1 speaker system, try Mission MVDS 5.1 (INR 15500, with official bill and warranty) from Alpha. I guess this setup will be good for watching movies. And if you are not happy with MVDS, try some other speakers form mission. For other details please go through the thread posted by Yogesh in the dealer section.

Hi,

One of the members is selling Onkyo 508 in the For Sale thread.Why dont you check it?

cheers,
sri

Binaya said:
Are you gonna hook up the AVR to your HTPC ..... If you are gonna have a good sound card, you don need an AVR that bad
Yup this is what I have in mind (connectin AVR to PC not HT) ...
The way I see it is - gettin a high end soundcard + 5 ch amp (or can I do without da amp) is gonna cost me if not same then close to an entry/mid level AVR !!!

chiron said:
If you are low on budget and dont have any problem with grey items you can try pioneer VSX-520 (INR 15500) and for a decent 5.1 speaker system, try Mission MVDS 5.1 (INR 15500, with official bill and warranty) from Alpha.
I have allocated a budget of 25k for da speakers now exclusive of da AVR !!!
Any suggestions now ???

If not a complete package say compile a good combination - had an eye on WharfeDale Diamond 9.1 after readin few posts here ...
Not sure bout da current price n what I need to get for da center, surround n subwoofer !!!

[QUOTE="Srikarkav]One of the members is selling Onkyo 508 in the For Sale thread[/QUOTE]
Thankx but that one's already been booked !!! :(
Still haven't been able to decide on da AVR though - confused between Denon AVR 791, Yamaha RX V465/467, Onkyo TX SR508 !!!

But that would all now depend on Binaya's reply !!!

Dude ... try to have a bit higher budget for AVR ... speakers u will buy every now and then n blv me if u r a geek like me .... u will be changing speakers every year :p .... I think just try to lose 10K more for the AVR and get Onkyo SR608 or Yamaha V 567 or Pioneer 920K.They will cost u around 25K from US (remember thanksgiving sales... this 's the right time to buy one ;) ) .... Now if u are on a tight budget I suggest don't go for the complete 5.1 set up right now .... depending on what u r gonna use it for ... u can choose to go for some floor standers right away and gradually try to set up the rears center woofer or even a 7.2 one ....

CHEERS

Yup this is what I have in mind (connectin AVR to PC not HT) ...
The way I see it is - gettin a high end soundcard + 5 ch amp (or can I do without da amp) is gonna cost me if not same then close to an entry/mid level AVR !!!

I have allocated a budget of 25k for da speakers now exclusive of da AVR !!!
Any suggestions now ???

If not a complete package say compile a good combination - had an eye on WharfeDale Diamond 9.1 after readin few posts here ...
Not sure bout da current price n what I need to get for da center, surround n subwoofer !!!

Thankx but that one's already been booked !!! :(
Still haven't been able to decide on da AVR though - confused between Denon AVR 791, Yamaha RX V465/467, Onkyo TX SR508 !!!

But that would all now depend on Binaya's reply !!!

Looks like the 508 is still open with a price drop check the thread again.

Binaya said:
Dude ... try to have a bit higher budget for AVR
I'd mostly be settling for Yam 467 !!!

Binaya said:
Now if u are on a tight budget I suggest don't go for the complete 5.1 set up right now
I'd rather spend more at one time :)

Ok could someone direct me to a site where I could find Wharfedale prices in India ???

Tryin to find prices of these Diamond 10.1, Diamond 10.SR, Diamond 10.CC and Diamongd 10.MX-SUB !!!

EDIT: Any inputs on Boston Acoustics CS2310 - http://www.bostonacoustics.com/CS-2310--P375.aspx

Last edited:
I'd mostly be settling for Yam 467 !!!

I'd rather spend more at one time :)

Ok could someone direct me to a site where I could find Wharfedale prices in India ???

Tryin to find prices of these Diamond 10.1, Diamond 10.SR, Diamond 10.CC and Diamongd 10.MX-SUB !!!

Nice to see you started writing in plain english!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Many of our forum members are seniors ( I am junior ,but on the wrong side of 35:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:) ,so many members may not got your query in first place..

So sorry if my English has been hard to understand - was never my intention !!!

Nothing to feel sorry ..but it it was difficult to understand!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

I think I'm becoming " uncle" of young people too!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Hey fellas I've finally decided to increase my budget to 55k ...
[Which means I'll have to drop da idea of gettin a new lens for ma DLSR :(]

Would mostly go for Yam 467 - which leaves me wid 30+ k for da speakers - any suggestions now ???

Would most probably be goin for da Wharfedale Vardus series now ... [will audition these in a day or two]

First of all Vardus VR-300 + SW-150 - would this be a mismatch - or do I stay wid Diamond 9.1 ???

Second - is the Vardus series too out-dated ???

Would decide da center n surrounds dependin upon da answers for da first two queries !!! :(

[Will wait for da XMas to come - maybe avail of some discounts] ;)

Would most probably be goin for da Wharfedale Vardus series now ... [will audition these in a day or two]

First of all Vardus VR-300 + SW-150 - would this be a mismatch - or do I stay wid Diamond 9.1 ???

Second - is the Vardus series too out-dated ???

Would decide da center n surrounds dependin upon da answers for da first two queries !!! :(

[Will wait for da XMas to come - maybe avail of some discounts] ;)

discounts on wharfs in mordor during xmas time :rolleyes:

With 55k budget you can explore more and decide.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back