Looking for a diy amp

doors666

Hi guys,

I am looking to make a diy 2 channel amp for my main system. It will be driving my ER18 MTM speakers, these drop at the minimum to 4 ohms. These are 2 way MTMs that use the seas er18 rnx drivers which are rated at 8 ohms, 80 watts rms and 250 watts peak, I think the sensitivity is about 88.5.

These will also be driving my alpair 7s from time to time and these are pretty much consistently at 3.6 ohms except for the peak. These have a 20 watt rms rating, so power should not be an issue

The other side will be a b1 preamp.

I guess I should be ok with around 100-125 (200-250) odd watts into 8 (4) ohms. This setup will be used for movies as well as music. I have an avr/cc/surrounds. I will have to figure out a way to integrate my sub for music with it later. I know it will be a mess.

Class A and tubes are ruled out. For this kind of power, it will need huge cabs and heatsinks, huge costs, huge bills and huge heat:). WAF is very very low for class a.

I dont think chipamps can easily give this kind of power or handle 4 ohms loads peacefully. If there are some really good ones, please let me know.

I guess that leaves class D.

I liked both hypex and class d audio boards, but those are expensive and I would prefer to cust costs. I saw the ljm's l15d and l20d (IR based) designs, kits are available cheap (atleast for l20d) on fleabay. These address some of the issues mentioned on diyaudio with the IR reference kits. I might wish to upgrade some components once I get the kit.

I think a 300va-400va trafo should be plenty for this. The question now is the power supply and the caps. Please recommend some suitable ones, preferably something for which atleast a pcb can be obtained easily and cheaply.

Please also suggest if you are aware of some other design thats good. Preferrably not too expensive, atleast pcb should be easily available, dont want to get into making or designing a pcb, as it is I am short on skills, dont want to bite more than I can chew:).

What is the budget? That will give us some idea.

within 20k for sure, as less as possible without compromising quality:).

Would also need the protection circuitry (soft start, dc protection, turn on thump protection etc ...).

I currently own SDS 254 kit and I am really happy with the amp.
Class D Audio Class D Audio SDS Amplifier

I think it will fit well within your budget as you are going only for the amp ($245 + shipping) and getting the power supply & transformer locally.

If you change your mind and plan to buy one (or not), you are welcome for audition.

~ sound1

Hi Doors,

I have couple of Class AB amps with matching speaker protection and power supply boards (assembled kit). Please PM me if you are interested. I can send you the photographs of the boards for reference.

Thanks,
Bibin

I have LM4780 kit ( parallel configuration ) i.e. one LM4780 per channel, it is a parallel config so will easily handle 4 ohms. All the kit parts are high quality i.e. panasonic FM caps , Nichicon KZ Muse for feedback. high quality metal film resistors.
I can also supply high quality heat-sinks and toroid transformer.
PM me if you're interested.
You could also look at the myref LM3886 amps elsewhere on the forum.

I currently own SDS 254 kit and I am really happy with the amp.
Class D Audio Class D Audio SDS Amplifier

I think it will fit well within your budget as you are going only for the amp ($245 + shipping) and getting the power supply & transformer locally.

If you change your mind and plan to buy one (or not), you are welcome for audition.

~ sound1
I just checked the specs, most of the extra features are not much use to me. i dont have balanced gear. Main advantage is the higher input impedance, it can be used without a preamp, i have b1 already. so if I do go for it, it will be cda (and B1 would have saved me 100$:)). Thanx for the offer, I might take you up on that.

Most of the other suggestions are lacking in power, around 100-120 watts into 4 ohms. My music system is in the hall and I would like some more power. I usually dont play it very loud, but if once in a while I want to, there should be power for that. These are all good amps that I will consider when I go for upgrading my desktop amp for my small study, it will be replacing tp20, so power and sq will have to be greater than that.

@ Doors,

For your reference:
Amp:
Supply Voltage : +/-33v DC
Input Impedance : 100K
Output Power : 150W @ 8 ohms

Amp Top View:

Amp Bottom View:

Power Supply Board:

Speaker Protection Board:

Tone Control:

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back