• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Looking for a Good Amplifer

Wharfedale Evo 4.2

Analogous

Hi @chiraghbir, Hegel is worth a try. It does everything without overcooking anything. You can choose the coloration of your liking into it and it will faithfully amplify it. I believe they are relatively easy to match with different speakers as they sound good with KEF LS50, ProAC Response 1SC, B&W 705 and Spendor A5R. (all Brit speakers)
I have bought a used Hegel H300 from a seller on OLX. I love what it does for me. (Liveliness, PRAT, warmth, etc I introduce in the chain from the source and DAC)

There is a person selling a Hegel H360 on OLX. You could do a live video call etc (or ask a friend if you have someone in the same area to check it out). No, I don’t know this seller. I am mindful that opinions on buying on OLX are divided, I have had mostly good experiences buying from OLX sellers.

I have not heard Accuphase, Luxman, McIntosh or the Marantz models discussed above. So not comparing.

But, while I am typing this, a small voice is reminding me....has he considered the room acoustics? I assume you have taken the other considerations for good audio while planning the amplification.

DB1989

Musical Fidelity M8xi?

Looks like a monster. They have local presence as well.

SaurabhK

Budget needs to be substantially increased . Would advise a 2.1 with good bookshelves rather than average floorstanders.

powerslave

I have gone down this path and if you wish to get this right in "lesser" iterations , please plonk that money into speakers first . 4 Lakh Amp is only as good as the Speakers it drives. Better get a solid speaker , your current amplification may not get 100% out of them but even that 9x% would be a bigger change as against buying a 4 lakh Amp and keeping the current speakers.

Unless you select a very hard or demanding speaker you may not even get the urge to upgrade your amps in the short term. For 4 lakh you can get at least 1/3 levels over entry level stuff from Harbeths, Focals, Blumenhofers, Spendor, Proac et al. All of these are a sizeable leap forward from your current speakers and can easily be driven by your current amplifier .

CircleGame

Hi @chiraghbir, Hegel is worth a try. It does everything without overcooking anything. You can choose the coloration of your liking into it and it will faithfully amplify it. I believe they are relatively easy to match with different speakers as they sound good with KEF LS50, ProAC Response 1SC, B&W 705 and Spendor A5R. (all Brit speakers)
I have bought a used Hegel H300 from a seller on OLX. I love what it does for me. (Liveliness, PRAT, warmth, etc I introduce in the chain from the source and DAC)

There is a person selling a Hegel H360 on OLX. You could do a live video call etc (or ask a friend if you have someone in the same area to check it out). No, I don’t know this seller. I am mindful that opinions on buying on OLX are divided, I have had mostly good experiences buying from OLX sellers.

I have not heard Accuphase, Luxman, McIntosh or the Marantz models discussed above. So not comparing.

But, while I am typing this, a small voice is reminding me....has he considered the room acoustics? I assume you have taken the other considerations for good audio while planning the amplification.
+1 on Hegel. I use a Hegel H160 with Blumenhofer speakers. Detailed, exciting and lively sound without any harshness.

Amitdubey

Hegel dealership is in India and you pay the same amount like in US or EU without inflation. Worth buying this brand new as well

Yelamanchili manohar

I agree :)

Though I have a fetish for tube amps. If I was in the market for a SS integrated, I would at least check out that Hegel 360 once. Enough power to double up as a welding machine when I need one :D
And transparent and pure and honest to the source for a amp of such considerable power .

bluestar

who is the distributor for hegel in India ? Does anyone have contact detail?

Shylo

With a budget of 3.5 lacs, you can land a Hegel H360. There is one currently available on OLX. 250 watts @ 8 ohms. Got an amazing internal DAC. Brilliant amplifier

I picked up a pre-owned Hegel H360 about 6 months ago. Best audio equipment purchase I ever made

I agree :)

Though I have a fetish for tube amps. If I was in the market for a SS integrated, I would at least check out that Hegel 360 once. Enough power to double up as a welding machine when I need one :D
And transparent and pure and honest to the source for a amp of such considerable power .
I second that. You should consider a Hegel amplifier. Infact, I would go as far as to urge all to audition a Hegel amplifier once. You won't be disappointed

powerslave

Nothing against Hegel (I am sure it is good), however, I would again say to finalize speakers; a good example is if you settle on high-efficiency speakers like those from say Cube audio or some horn speakers that don't like amps with high damping factor then one would need to settle for Tubes or say FW SIT-3 or similar solid-state amps. Hegel I see has a very high damping factor which is a great driver for typical modern speakers say B&W, Focals, Dynoaudio, Kef et al (I am not sure about the tone).

Analogous

Nothing against Hegel (I am sure it is good), however, I would again say to finalize speakers; a good example is if you settle on high-efficiency speakers like those from say Cube audio or some horn speakers that don't like amps with high damping factor then one would need to settle for Tubes or say FW SIT-3 or similar solid-state amps. Hegel I see has a very high damping factor which is a great driver for typical modern speakers say B&W, Focals, Dynoaudio, Kef et al (I am not sure about the tone).
You are right. This thread was about looking for a good amplifier but somehow become a discussion/recommendation of Hegel amps. There are so many to choose from and hopefully we will see more variety hereon

Miany

Absolutely spot on!! When i auditioned tannoy turnberrys for the first time, it was being driven by a Hegel amplifier. The whole setup had pathetic synergy to say the least, though the individual components were great ones. The sound was all over the place. One of the worst auditions i ever had.

Dr.Bass

the above is a. spectacular amp at a great deal... I find that the TOTL Marantz are never written about, even though they are kind of in a similar league to the Accupahse and Luxman's of the world... they don't pay reviewers and they don't over charge, but take a look under the hood, and listen with an open mind... this amp is quite something...

While you are correct Marantz reference series not getting the deserved attention, this particular amp has a SMPS power supply, that is a red flag. I have never heard any SMPS based audio device to sound natural. None

square_wave

While you are correct Marantz reference series not getting the deserved attention, this particular amp has a SMPS power supply, that is a red flag. I have never heard any SMPS based audio device to sound natural. None
That amp is essentially a dedicated preamp with its own toroidal transformer based power supply with a smps based power amp thrown in.
Add a separate tube power amp to this device to drive the highs and use the built in amp to drive the woofer in a bi amp config and you may get something magical.

Last edited by a moderator: