Looking for a Home Theater System with Good Music capability

amitksvs

I guess this is most often repeated post, but still asking to get the Opinions of all the Gurus here!
I am looking for an average Home Theater System on which I could listen to my Music too. When I say music, though I dream of an audiophile grade setup but I know I should not be looking for Music through a setup built around an AVR; but as I said I want a Home Theater too hence this Utopian request!

How would you all a rate a set up around Denon AVR-X1000? which speaker setup would be good and value for money to go with X1000?

Or How would be Pioneer VSX824-K and to build a set up around it? which mid-budget speakers go well with this Pioneer AVR?
I know I might be sounding way to vague and too demanding out here but please enlighten with your comments, which I feel would be useful for newbies around here.
Thanks.

Hi amitksvs

There are a lot of brands available in the market and some places would have good discounts. You need to first check how much you are willing to spend on a decent system (budget)

Entry level Home Theatre in Box (HTiBs) are available fro 13k - 25k and even more, popular brands are Philips, Panasonic, Samsung, LG etc.....

Entry level professional home theatre setups like Yamaha or Pioneer or Onkyo start from 25k onwards....depending on what features you want on the AVR (amplifier) the cost will go up.....you will need to add a blu ray player or media player separately....

The weekend is here, depending on where you are based in Mumbai, you can visit a Reliance Digital Store, Vijay Sales, E Zone or standalone home theatre dealers in Heera Panna (Sound Out) , Fair Deal (Crawford Market), dealers in Bandra west etc.

Most of us HFV members have been using various brands over the 10+ years and have changed systems for the quest of having or owning the ultimate system.....

Trust your ears, see what appeals to you....shortlist a few models or brands you like and share....we can then perhaps do an apple to apple comparison and provide further guidance....all the best

Thank you so much eferand1 for the reply.

My budget would be around 50K +-20% for AVR and Speakers; I wish I could have a Marantz based setup, which I have heard has slight inclination towards Music (like Denon possibly has better Video performance, though not sure).

@ghatgepatil, I am looking at around 150 to 275 sq ft of space.

Would love to have capability to play youtube, especially those HD quality concert videos; would also want to have capability to play lossless formats like FLAC; should feed a decent HD TV; Internet radio and other network capabilities would also be desirable (I guess I am getting too demanding for the given budget :) )

Which is entry level AVR with Marantz at present? would it fit in my budget and which set of speakers would suit it best?

I live in Bandra(E); you mentioned few outlets in Bandra, which are those and where?

Thanks a lot for being so helpful!

Though Marantz is good for music, other brand of AVR's are equally good... When you are looking for best of both worlds (Movie, Music), AVR is the best best here... Nothing wrong in having an AVR do the stereo duty...

I have been using AVR for both movies/music for close to 10 yrs and never felt the need for a stereo set-up...

Good budget of 50K to start with, but may not be enough to complete AVR + 5.1 set-up...

What you can do is consider any brand of AVR with features that you are looking for, probably settle for Book Shelf speaker (2.0) now and then add components as & when your budget allows...

Friends, just to bump the thread; how do you all compare Marantz NR1504 with Denon X1100W and Denon X-510BT? If I was to choose Marantz NR1504; which would be the speaker package to pair it with? In terms of performance and value-for-money too. I would like to have a 5.1 speaker package. How would Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ go with Marantz 1504? I saw wharfedale65+ on hifimart wherein it was paired with Denon X510BT, though I do not like the Maple colour.
Or how would it be if I made the 5.1 speaker package from Sonodyne Sonus series and paired it with Marantz1504? Please share your thoughts.

Marantz NR series of receivers is good for Satellite based systems like Movie star 65+.. They may not be an ideal match for BS based systems..

If you are considering a BS based set-up, then Denon X1000 series and above would be a good match....

Not an ideal match for BS based setup? my music and movie requirements are about 50:50, if NR series is better with Satellite based arrangement? Does it mean that it is not a good base for a Music setup?
How would you compare NR series with Denon X1000 series? Does X1000 lend itself better to Music?
Thanks.

Marantz nr1504 is quite a capable reciever and i think can be comparable to x1100 as well as it can run budget floor standers easily too. My uncle has it and it is really powerful. Much to my expectations. Has a good feature set as well. Definately the x1100w would be much powerful and has wireless features, etc which are great to have on an avr. Since you are in bandra, check out mz audio for marantz. Ask them for denon as well. Their speaker brand is boston acoustics which again are great speakers for the money. My personal favourite is the ba a2310hts as it is immense value for money. And comes with a decent 10inch subwoofer to complement it. The satellites are not as big as a bookshelf speaker and not as tiny as satellites. Visit them and you will get a fair idea.

Thanks rayvonnnee! you mentioned your Uncle having NR1504, which speaker arrangement he has with NR1504? Did you mean that X1100W would be better than NR1504? (atleast as how you feel about it?) MS Audio is same place near Bandra Masjid? and do BA2310HTS go well with NR1504? My understanding so far (though oversimplified possibly) that Marantzs were better for Music when compared with Denons! Can I make such a sweeping generalization at least in the case of NR1504 vs X1100?
and finally, How does X510BT compare with NR1504?

He is using his old speakers manufactured by pandam. The company no longer manufacturers and now is only a dealer for genelec products in mahim. He earlier had a hk receiver which died last year. So got the new marantz nr1504 for 32.5k.
Having heard the marantz nr1504 and owning denon x500. I feel marantz is perfect for music and denon has the punch required for movies and music as well. If you want a good experience with movies with good punch and same with music look no further than the denon. Yes near the masjid, its MZ Audio. The x510 and the x1100w will have a similar sound signature and if kept side by side on a blind test you would not know the difference practically, but yes based on features and since the x1100w is feature rich it is expensive. As far as x510 and n1504 goes. The X510 wins atleast for me as im more inclined or tend to like the denon brand avrs for their warm and punchy sound. Marantz seems too soft to me. Audio is personal choice and best would be to audition. One more suggestion would be to visit a nearby onkyo showroom which i believe is in andheri. Check out the ht-s5700 which is around 55k and will be great considering its feature set and that you get a beefy 10inch subwoofer. Do auditon and check the best price you can. Similarly visit profx and do also take a look at some polk audio speakers if you are more inclined towards movies and rock music. Or else visit fairdeal electronics near crawford market. I got my denon x500 as well as the marantz nr1504 from there and he has most of the brands available

Thanks for the reply rayvonnee. I am kinda hooked to great insights you offered. I am now thinking on separate line that instead of looking for networking capabilities on the AVR I choose, why not look for a better AV RECEIVER which gives me better Audio-Video experience and plug in a streaming device like Roku or Xtreamer. So that opens the options further to SR series from Marantz or similar plainer models from Denon (if you could suggest one). Would it save me some money too? Which is the 5.1 ch AV receiver from Denon besides X500(without networking capabilities)?
You mentioned the price from Fairdeal @ Crawford, are they better than HiFiMart? How about warranty? I was presuming that HFM would give the best price!
Thanks for all the help.

Visited R-Digital today and auditioned Marantz NR1504 with BA XS 5.1, it sounded good but BA XS5.1 is too small for my liking and not VFM as I wanted.
Pioneer RS-33 package was also there with VSX-323 as Receiver and Towers; sounded kind of too bright!
Denon X500 with Denon Sys5.1 was also there and I heard it, and somehow sounded worst of above 3 combos! may be something was wrong with the setup or the Demo piece itself...
and finally I also heard Yamaha YHT299.
Now friends please suggest me what can I pair Marantz NR1504 besides BA XS5.1; I would love to have some Tower based setup or may be a BS based 5.1 setup!

Unfortunately No! Reliance Digital @ R-City did not have any combo other than what I mentioned. Does BA2310HTS go well with NR1504? How would it do with Denon X500?

Would do fine with both. Its ur choice. Check mz audio bandra, to get demo of this speaker. I took a demo of it as well and liked it, but he had no stocks.

Guys, How would Harman Kardon TS5 go with Marantz NR1504? especially when I would be listening to 55% of music and watching 45% of Movies? One of the vendors in Mumbai offered me HKTS5 (5.1 package) for NR1504 at Rs.25000. Please help.
Can these HKTS5 be paired with Denon AVRX510BT too? especially for my music requirements, please comment!

Can be had for lesser or maybe the same price with fairdeal electronics, crawford market. He has it on demo. I had taken a demo and to be frank it wasnt impressive

Guys, if I choose Denon AVR110W as the AVR; can I make a 5.1 system with following components from Sonodyne Sonus stable?

Centre: Sonus C 2501 (8 ohms, 2 way MTM (Mid-Tweeter-Mid) vented)

Rear surround: Sonu Rears V3 (8 ohms, 2 way dipole surround speakers)

Subwoofer: Road 210 (150W, 1 x 10" high excursion woofer)

Fronts: Sonus 2504 v3 (8 ohms, 2 way towers with 2 x 5.25" PP cone woofer and 1 x 1" silk dome tweeter)
OR
Sonus 1501 V3 (8 ohms, Bookshelf speaker, 2 way vented, 1 x 5.25" PP cone woofer, 1 x 1" silk dome tweeter )

While I am getting the prices, how do you all feel will above 5.1 speaker setup perform around Denon AVR1100W? Fellpw FMs who are using Sonodyne, please share your views.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back