Looking for a Subwoofer in the sub 30k range

Flash

I am looking for a Subwoofer to augment the bass in my HT setup .

I own a pair of Wharfedale's 9.6. and i must say the bass is really great for music.

However for movies I feel I would need to add a subwoofer to augment the already great bass.
I have a budget of around 30k nothing more than that

I intend to use the sub purely for movies and turn it off for music.

Consdering the 9.6 can go down to 28hz :clapping: I am looking to set the crossover at 40hz - 45hz

I am planning on adding a 2nd sub later when my wallet gets a little heavier
As i understand . the second sub is going to add just 6 db more but i will get
a much cleaner sound

Since u already have a wharfedale setup.. I suggest Wharfedale SW250 sub...or u can even look out for Velodyne Impact sub which is abt 25k....

Ok....i am looking for subs myself. Like some posts mentioned get Velodyne....velodyne is one of the few companies that makes some of the best subs in business. But problem with velodyne is that they are too expensive. SVS/HSU are couple of other makes some amazing subs. With Velodyne being *too expensive* what i meant is, for the price you pay for a HSU/SVS sub, to get the same performance in Velodyne you need to shell out 2 times that amount(and upto 3 times with high end subs)!! This is not good. Velodyne is now become internetc direct, hopefully we will soon see competitive prices and they can be back as one of the best who can be considered as a good buy. I would strongly urge you not to consider velodyne until their price-performance become more comparable.
I agree with kittu...HSU has some terrific subs. I also understand that you have been suggested a few subs above....no disrespect to them. But one cant really suggest a sub until you give your room size. If you have a big room and 30K is your budget...then forget it. Don't buy one until you save more!!!

So...what is your room size?

...and do note...if you get a good HSU - SVS sub, you will see a really good difference even for music :)

Last edited:
Hey Shaq and .......... ,

Well my living space is actually shaped like a T on its side ((( |--- )))
The length is approx 21 feet and width from end to end is around 21 feet

I have put up a 3D pic of how my hall looks .

I am extremely happy with the Wharfedale 9.6, and I mean extremely.
Unlike the 9.5 the bass is more subdued and not boomy and overal more balanced throughout the fq range with brilliant mids.
Atleast that was my observation of the 9.5's i had in my house for a couple of weeks prior to the 9.6
However I have noticed that these bad boys (9.6) like to be played loud and thats when they really begin to shine. Ive had my doors and windows rattle away to glory at decent volumes.
Considering that the 9.6 does go down to 28hz. I was looking at a sub which is tight and not boomy, and I'll probably set the crossover at 45hz

I have set a budget of 30k primarily because of 1 reason and 1 reason alone . I intend on hooking up 2 similar subs to give me more balanced bass response throughout the room, coupled with the already great tight bass from the 9.6

I intend to use the Sub's purely for movies and switch to stereo 2.0 for music.

So basically my overall budget is 60k for 2 subs maybe 65k max. however will buy the first one now and then add the same sub again probably in a couple of months.

IMO considering that I am planning setting up the crossover at 45hz the sub will not be working too hard. like how they would with budget bookshelves or satellites

Wharfedale subs are out of the question I had the powercube 8 for 3 days , i had borrowed it from a friend. and I did not like it.
Well its tight and fast however it does get boomy and gives the cheap bass thrill which is not my cup of tea.

Can the HSU be sourced in India and how do the polks's DSW series match up to it .
Any other subs I should be considering as well ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

it will be better if you look at 10 inch subs or 12 inch subs atleast. do not look at 8 inch subs. To get really low freq.. the 10 inch or 12 inch will displace more air.

rgds,
mpw

it will be better if you look at 10 inch subs or 12 inch subs atleast. do not look at 8 inch subs. To get really low freq.. the 10 inch or 12 inch will displace more air.

rgds,
mpw

Yes mpw. i am purely looking for a 12 incher or a 10 incher.

Hey Shaq and .......... ,

Well my living space is actually shaped like a T on its side ((( |--- )))
The length is approx 21 feet and width from end to end is around 21 feet
From the image I see the wall on the left from door to sofa is long so I presume it is 21ft...length. I see that the from the door to the dining it is long, so are you are considering this as the width?? Also where are the speakers placed? What is the width of the room if you ignore the dining area?

However I have noticed that these bad boys (9.6) like to be played loud and thats when they really begin to shine. Ive had my doors and windows rattle away to glory at decent volumes.
I noticed the same with mine...until I reach a volume the speakers are well you can say...just lazing..and then it suddenly springs to life.

I have set a budget of 30k primarily because of 1 reason and 1 reason alone . I intend on hooking up 2 similar subs to give me more balanced bass response throughout the room, coupled with the already great tight bass from the 9.6
2 subs are a great choice if you want the effects across the room. If the seating position is a small area like a sofa...one would suffice. With two you can get the bass across a wider area.

Can the HSU be sourced in India and how do the polks's DSW series match up to it .
Any other subs I should be considering as well ?
If I am right...these brands are quite lacking compared to what HSU...SVS offers you. Comparing these subs usually dont happen. Just search around, and you will see that HSU/SVS/Velodyne/Rythmik/Epik being compared with one other. Most others dont belong in this class :)

HSU is not available through a dealer. HSU sells internet direct. This is how I plan to get mine. Currently they are on sale, like 50$ off on VTF1, 2, 3.

HSU has 2 kinds of subs. STF & VTF. One is rigid characteristics - STF, and other variable - VTF. I would suggest you to go with a VTF. Well designed for both music & movies. You can switch the mode anytime.

STF Single Tuning Frequency. The bass characteristics are fixed.
VTF Variable Tuning Frequency. The bass characteristics can be varied between lower extension (music mode) or higher headroom (home theater mode).

You should write a mail to both SVS & HSU and just tell them your needs and what is your room size with ceiling height and where you are positioning the speakers. (if you explain like above they will think it is 21x21xheight??. Tell them the room size and tell them it is open one side ...the open length is so much and the depth of this open region - may not be needed).

Klipsch Sw 450 , its a 10" 450 watt dynamic driver, this sub will kill you as well as your neighbor for the price range. I have it its wonderful.

Klipsch Sw 450 , its a 10" 450 watt dynamic driver, this sub will kill you as well as your neighbor for the price range. I have it its wonderful.

Hi!
Could you pls advice on the price of the above sub.
Have you bought it recently? Because as far as I remember Klipsch has brought in a new line up since Jan 2011 for India.

Cheers,
Naj

Me too looking for a sub,area is over 20 by 20 with joining dining and open passage,i think klipsch n polk would be in same catgory,how is polk dsw 660?I would love to buy svs sb 12 or pc 12,but i dont think so i can bargain hard with audire.hsu not available in india,so thats out.

Me too looking for a sub,area is over 20 by 20 with joining dining and open passage,i think klipsch n polk would be in same catgory,how is polk dsw 660?I would love to buy svs sb 12 or pc 12,but i dont think so i can bargain hard with audire.hsu not available in india,so thats out.

which sub is suitable for 12x12 room size?
thank you.

Hi!
Could you pls advice on the price of the above sub.
Have you bought it recently? Because as far as I remember Klipsch has brought in a new line up since Jan 2011 for India.

Cheers,
Naj

Yes i bought this sub a year back, i think the total was 28K, the MRP was something aroung 30 +, this is a new line up sub, the SW 450 replaces the older Klipsch Sub 10". It also comes with 5 year warranty so no worries.

I cant go beyond 40 % of the volume in the sub, please check the best buy rating for this sub, most of them are 5 *. Of course you can get better sub than this, but i dont think this has good competitors in this price range for its sheer power and performance.:)

which sub is suitable for 12x12 room size?
thank you.

Dont look for room size and sub parameter, get one with the most quality power you can afford. When i had kept my sub in 12 X 12 room, it sounded great, but after few months when i shifted it to living room, it was like reinventing every bit of it, the sound went more deeper and lower.

Sometimes the subs need some space to sound good.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back