• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Looking for Bookshelf / Tower Speaker

Wharfedale EVO4.4 Speaker

apbinu

Hi All,

I'm posting this message on behalf of a friend who has recently started his journey in the world of HiFi-audio.
He recently bought AV Receiver - Marantz NR1509, willing to start-off with Stereo setup & then gradually move on to 5.1.

Hence looking for pre-owned Bookshelf / Tower Speaker with limited budget of 05-15k, pref location - Bangalore.
Any leads/suggestions from FM's will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Binu

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

efernand1

Most brands blend well with Marantz....besides OLX where you stand better chances to get some decent speakers....see these new options

https://www.boseindia.com/en_in/pro...ct-reflecting-speaker-system.html#v=201_black

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/bookshelf-monitor/taga-harmony-azure-b-40-bookshelf-speakers.html

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/b...ony-platinum-s-40-bookshelf-speaker-pair.html

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/b...tics-cs-26-ii-bookshelf-loudspeaker-pair.html

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/bookshelf-monitor/boston-acoustics-a-25-speaker

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/bookshelf-monitor/boston-acoustics-a-26-bookshelf-speaker

These are some.....ensure that the SPL is 88db and more.....since he does not have a sub..compare the models and brands in terms of frequency delivery and overall performance.....Bose /Bostons pair very well.....Taga certain models....Wharfedale most models.....

kvandhi

Most brands blend well with Marantz....
These are some.....ensure that the SPL is 88db and more.....since he does not have a sub..compare the models and brands in terms of frequency delivery and overall performance.....Bose /Bostons pair very well.....Taga certain models....Wharfedale most models.....

I am also looking for bookshelf speakers for my bedroom setup(10x12). Amplifier purchased :- Marantz PM5005. Since its power RMS is 40WPC. Need to know which speakers will be good match for this amp. Placement of the speaker is not at the ear level (due to kids), it some above 5 feets from the ground and in wooden shelf. Probably corner placement and 4 inches from the side wall.

Kairos

You could buy Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf , I have a pair barely used for over year and half but you're looking around Bengaluru so that's out I guess.

apbinu

Hi FM's,

Thank you for PM'ing with options. Finally after multiple search & demo's we were able to narrow down to below options for my friend within his budget & liking :)

1. Polk Signature s50 - Excellent sound signature, loved the bass response - but was out of budget 35k, inclusive of 15% discount
2. Jamo S805 & S426 - It had a balanced sound however really lacked lows, if you crank up the vol then we could hear some Bass. keeping the vol at that level in the place he stays, he might have to look for other house soon. hence dropped the plans of Jamo ;)
3. Boston Acoustics A250 - We were unable to find any place to demo this one, however looking at multiple +ve feedback's & reviews on this & it was within his budget too... Finally decided to take a plunge, thanks to FM's for the reviews & Amazon Prime shipment was breeze.

Setup Marantz NR1509 + Boston Acoustics A250 & it sounded just perfect !!! except his videocon d2h box which is HD setup box & the sound output was just horrible :eek: We tried all possible connection combinations & there was no improvement. Finally concluded he needs to upgrade the setup box.

However would like to ask if some had similar experience with videocon d2h HD box? if yes, any feedback / resolution will be highly appreciated.
Otherwise his new HT ROCKS!!! & he is happy with the buy :D

Cheers,

KBS

I have Jamo Studio Series S606 Floor Standing Speakers, Jamo SUB 300 and Jamo CEN 60 Center Channel Speakers

efernand1

Hi FM's,

Thank you for PM'ing with options. Finally after multiple search & demo's we were able to narrow down to below options for my friend within his budget & liking :)

1. Polk Signature s50 - Excellent sound signature, loved the bass response - but was out of budget 35k, inclusive of 15% discount
2. Jamo S805 & S426 - It had a balanced sound however really lacked lows, if you crank up the vol then we could hear some Bass. keeping the vol at that level in the place he stays, he might have to look for other house soon. hence dropped the plans of Jamo ;)
3. Boston Acoustics A250 - We were unable to find any place to demo this one, however looking at multiple +ve feedback's & reviews on this & it was within his budget too... Finally decided to take a plunge, thanks to FM's for the reviews & Amazon Prime shipment was breeze.

Setup Marantz NR1509 + Boston Acoustics A250 & it sounded just perfect !!! except his videocon d2h box which is HD setup box & the sound output was just horrible :eek: We tried all possible connection combinations & there was no improvement. Finally concluded he needs to upgrade the setup box.

However would like to ask if some had similar experience with videocon d2h HD box? if yes, any feedback / resolution will be highly appreciated.
Otherwise his new HT ROCKS!!! & he is happy with the buy :D

Cheers,

Congrats to your friend on his purchase.

In terms of Set top box...there is not a single provider in India who gives you actual Dolby Digital or DD+....the SQ is quite bad...although there is a tall claim of 60+ or 80+ HD channels......each channel has its own challenge.......have you checked the settings of d2h HD box? Maybe you need to tweak it in order to get best output. Using the remote...check Audio / Sound settings configured for the HD box

One biggest challenge besides SQ is the sound levels of the channels....in order to compensate this matter....you can manually increase the source volume on the AVR for the input source...go to manual settings and do it.....this may help improve the experience.

apbinu

Congrats to your friend on his purchase.

In terms of Set top box...there is not a single provider in India who gives you actual Dolby Digital or DD+....the SQ is quite bad...although there is a tall claim of 60+ or 80+ HD channels......each channel has its own challenge.......have you checked the settings of d2h HD box? Maybe you need to tweak it in order to get best output. Using the remote...check Audio / Sound settings configured for the HD box

One biggest challenge besides SQ is the sound levels of the channels....in order to compensate this matter....you can manually increase the source volume on the AVR for the input source...go to manual settings and do it.....this may help improve the experience.

Yes certainly agree with your opinion, i have noticed Airtel HD box has better SQ & it does has Audio / Sound settings as you have mentioned & I can confirm SQ is super in HD channels i have been using it for sometime now. however on videocon d2h HD box there is no Audio / Sound settings option which was surprising to me, Hence we concluded it might be the HD box at fault.

lets see i have asked him to wait until Jio HD SB is launched in Bangalore & then he can take a call which one works better for him.

Cheers.