• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Looking for DAC

Audiolab 6000CDT Dedicated CD Transport

paramesh

Hi,
I am planing to upgrade my DAC from Maverick dac D2. Budget is around 20k

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

panditji

You will not get much improvement in a Rs. 20,000 DAC... It would be better if you save your money and buy something in the 50K range later...Or maybe change your speakers if you are looking for some imrpovement in your sound..

Fantastic

If you want to improve your sound did you first look at the following.

1. All your connectors . Are they super clean ? When did you last clean
them ? 3 months, 6 months ? more...Oh... Oh !
2. Your speaker cables . Tried any others ? Not necessarily very expensive .

3. Your interconnects . Tried alternatives that are sanely priced.

4. Your speaker location.

5. Room acoustics . Does it need any absorbents strategically located to
improve what you hear etc.

So many things you can do BEFORE spending more money !

Maybe you can improve it significantly easily and then you can buy another good single malt with a part of what you saved ! :)

Naturelover

Staff member
Absolutely!
Speaker placement changes sound considerably.
Even similarly priced cable and interconnects will sound different. Take what you like best.

If you want to improve your sound did you first look at the following.

1. All your connectors . Are they super clean ? When did you last clean
them ? 3 months, 6 months ? more...Oh... Oh !
2. Your speaker cables . Tried any others ? Not necessarily very expensive .

3. Your interconnects . Tried alternatives that are sanely priced.

4. Your speaker location.

5. Room acoustics . Does it need any absorbents strategically located to
improve what you hear etc.

So many things you can do BEFORE spending more money !

Maybe you can improve it significantly easily and then you can buy another good single malt with a part of what you saved ! :)

magma

i have said this before
and i am saying it again at the risk of sounding redundant

though i have limited experience as compares to others

my personal choice is always a good pro audio old school SOundcard
the emu, lynx , julia , RME ( well not really the RME - thats too bloody expensive !)
they will probably better all dacs under 50k pretty easily and whats more
will give you analogue as well as digital outs and well in INs in some cases

play the 20k game or play the 1 Lac game
prefer guys with legacy in pro audio
rarely will you find good dacs from companies who have just jumped into the DAC bandwagon to make a quick buck

all companies are playing the dac game and making the most money
shove in a sabre , wolfson phillips chip and call it a dac

a dac is a source
its function is to be transparent and resolving
you cant ask the dac to prefer other qualities over these two
since they are the most important for any source

all other " flavours and masala will come from your downstram electronics and speakers

renjith lal

Fantastic, Can you please explain what is the best way of cleaning connectors?
Honestly I never tried it before.
Thanks.

paramesh

What's lacking in the Maverick DAC that's causing you to change ?

Thanks for reply.
I have tried audio gd 15.35 DAC from our FM in my chain. There I found vocals and dynamics got open but bass came hard (don't know exact work,it is not deep like Maverick dac) . Reaming all components are same in chain . so I think if I change DAC i can get the benefit .

One more update , I don't know how to say in technical word, I got singer voice emotion (it means when singer sing,some time their voice can go high pich)

Last edited:

Fantastic

It all depends on the state of the connectors. Some just collect surface grunge and that can easily be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.
Then you can have slightly oxidised connectors. You can use a contact cleaner on a cotton bud. I use Deoxit spray .It should be an 'electrical contact' cleaner which can remove a tiny layer of oxidised material. There are several others. Avoid Wd40 ! But maybe useful as a lubricant while using an abrasive cleaner. You will need to wipe everything clean of WD40 after finishing the job.
If the contact is significantly corroded you will need to use an abrasive.
Start with a mild abrasive. Remember it will scratch the surface while cleaning. So start with something very mildly abrasive. Some form of rough textile material or 3M's kitchen cleaning pads ( or similar).
You get these in different grades. Use the softest you can find. You can progress with rougher grades if the oxidation is really bad. No need to say but the other alternative is 220 grade and higher of emery paper. Always rub two sheets together before using them , to get a finer abrasive surface !This will make it much less abrasive.
Always start with a softer abrasive material. Might take a bit longer to clean but it won't damage the surface.
Finally you need to clean everything with isopropyl alcohol again.
Using spray cleaners which leave an oily film isn't good as it will collect dust and eventually moisture and corrode faster in the long run.
I use Deoxit contact cleaner which appears to dry fairly quickly.I don't spray it on. I spray a cotton bud and use that to clean the contacts.
If you clean the contacts regularly then you won't need any abrasive cleaners. Like your wife dusts all the furniture etc. regularly , clean all connections at frequent intervals.

For round connectors like RCA sockets , wrap the material ( rough cloth to start with ) around the socket and rotate it several times. I have not checked it but Youtube might have some good video's on this subject.
Maybe much better methods !Check it out.
A picture says it all , better than a thousand words ! ;)

I posted a link to cleaning corroded bare wires. Most exposed speaker wires do get corroded rather fast. You will need to clean them regularly. EVEN if they are not visibly discoloured.
If your speaker wires have transparent pvc insulation and you can see the wire inside discoloured , it's time to change the wire !
Here is the earlier link to cleaning bare copper wire.
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/56601-cleaning-corroded-wires.html

Might also be good to clean badly corroded connectors but extreme care has to be taken to ensure that the liquids don't spread around. Cotton buds are mandatory. Use your imagination to adapt it to your requirement ! :)

paramesh

It all depends on the state of the connectors. Some just collect surface grunge and that can easily be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.
Then you can have slightly oxidised connectors. You can use a contact cleaner on a cotton bud. I use Deoxit spray .It should be an 'electrical contact' cleaner which can remove a tiny layer of oxidised material. There are several others. Avoid Wd40 ! But maybe useful as a lubricant while using an abrasive cleaner. You will need to wipe everything clean of WD40 after finishing the job.
If the contact is significantly corroded you will need to use an abrasive.
Start with a mild abrasive. Remember it will scratch the surface while cleaning. So start with something very mildly abrasive. Some form of rough textile material or 3M's kitchen cleaning pads ( or similar).
You get these in different grades. Use the softest you can find. You can progress with rougher grades if the oxidation is really bad. No need to say but the other alternative is 220 grade and higher of emery paper. Always rub two sheets together before using them , to get a finer abrasive surface !This will make it much less abrasive.
Always start with a softer abrasive material. Might take a bit longer to clean but it won't damage the surface.
Finally you need to clean everything with isopropyl alcohol again.
Using spray cleaners which leave an oily film isn't good as it will collect dust and eventually moisture and corrode faster in the long run.
I use Deoxit contact cleaner which appears to dry fairly quickly.I don't spray it on. I spray a cotton bud and use that to clean the contacts.
If you clean the contacts regularly then you won't need any abrasive cleaners. Like your wife dusts all the furniture etc. regularly , clean all connections at frequent intervals.

For round connectors like RCA sockets , wrap the material ( rough cloth to start with ) around the socket and rotate it several times. I have not checked it but Youtube might have some good video's on this subject.
Maybe much better methods !Check it out.
A picture says it all , better than a thousand words ! ;)

I posted a link to cleaning corroded bare wires. Most exposed speaker wires do get corroded rather fast. You will need to clean them regularly. EVEN if they are not visibly discoloured.
If your speaker wires have transparent pvc insulation and you can see the wire inside discoloured , it's time to change the wire !
Here is the earlier link to cleaning bare copper wire.
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/56601-cleaning-corroded-wires.html

Might also be good to clean badly corroded connectors but extreme care has to be taken to ensure that the liquids don't spread around. Cotton buds are mandatory. Use your imagination to adapt it to your requirement ! :)

I cleaned with Pidilite brite-o cream from one person who have knowledge on this . it was cleaned properly . RCA sockets and amp sockets look like new. :yahoo: