• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Looking for good Pre-amplifier

HiFiMART.com

vijwilso

Hi

I am looking for a pre-amplifier for the Bryston power amp 4bsst .

Regards
Vijay

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

hydrovac

Well, there are two basic approaches...

The first is that you find the Bryston 4B-SST a good amp and are looking for a preamp with the same qualities.
In that case, opt for a Bryston BP-25 or a BP-26.

Second, finding a good pre-amp...;) trust me there are lots out there and once you zeroed in on one in your budget...
try to listen to it in your system at home if you can. Find a dealer or a friend that will let you do a home audition.

Btw, what's up with your existing pre?

vijwilso

Hydrovac , I already have a 4BSST .

I did not like the Bryston's ( BP26) Pre amplifier in my setup

Hence looking for pre-amp from different brands . The Musical Fidelity M6Pre class-a pre worked well .

vijwilso

You already mentioned that in your previous post. If you are not apprehensive about DIY preamps and willing to try one...
I can lend you a preamp for evaluation in your system... it doesn't have a balanced output though.

Cheers!
Thanks for letting me try it . I am open to any brand / including DIY . Let me see how i can get it to bangalore

vijwilso

All , I missed to include that my budget is within 2L .
I received offers for more expensive pre-amps . Sorry for any inconvenience caused

hydrovac

THanks hydrovac. I PMed you the address

Hi vijwilso,

Here is the pre-amp you will be getting for evaluation in your system. We too have tried it in various other combinations.

Would like to know how it fares in your chain... Pl do post your opinions.

hydrovac

Hiw much does this pre cost Hydrovac?

Kannan,

I haven't actually calculated the cost of the preamp... guess it must be in the range of 2K or so depending on enclosure selection.
Even if your budget doesnt permit buying a single, high-end preamp, this can still deliver excellent sound for capturing your bedroom concertos or garage band jam sessions.

Aanuj

Take a look at the Usher P-307A. You will get it in Bangalore at ARN systems. Very underrated but as usual with Usher , it's great. There is some good Chinese pre amps , valve based like Mystere and Sheng Ya (Vincent OEM). IMO I find Bryston to have a slightly thin but agile sound a Valve preamp might just be a good match in providing the warmth to emotionally connect to the music. Or get a pre owned Audio Research Pre if you are okay with it.

Last edited:

vijwilso

Hi vijwilso,

Here is the pre-amp you will be getting for evaluation in your system. We too have tried it in various other combinations.

Would like to know how it fares in your chain... Pl do post your opinions.

Sure will do Hydrovac