looking for home setup for Indian classical music

cheluvaraj

Recently I came to know that there are so many options for the music systems for specific music types. Well, I'm interested in Indian classical music, Sufi, jazz and would like to have a good system to listen to the same. I'm very new to music and its technical knowledge. Someone told me that a good pair of bookshelf speakers and AVR should do. when I search for bookshelf speakers again I get a whole range of options and not able to figure out which one to select.

so I request you to help me to select a good system for me. my budget is around 50 to 60 k for both (speakers and AVR)
I'm based in Mysore so anything online is fine or I can even go to Bangalore to pick up from the store. Or any used ones are also fine if it is working fine.

thanks in advance
Cheluvaraj

For 2 Ch stereo, instead of AVR, go with an Integrated amplifier from Marantz/Cambridge audio/Quad, pair them with bookshelf speakers from Wharfedale diamond 220/225, Q Acoustics 3020. Since you are near Bangalore, try auditioning before buying. Also budget for good desktop stands/speaker stands and interconnects/cables.

What is the size of your room? How do you plan to play music, through CD player or computer?

Last edited:
For indian classical and sufi the AVR route is not advisable. I would suggest a tube amp first if it fits in the budget and a decent pair of bookshelves. These will really take your listening enjoyment to another level.

For 2 Ch stereo, instead of AVR, go with an Integrated amplifier from Marantz/Cambridge audio/Quad, pair them with bookshelf speakers from Wharfedale diamond 220/225, Q Acoustics 3020. Since you are near Bangalore, try auditioning before buying. Also budget for good desktop stands/speaker stands and interconnects/cables.

What is the size of your room? How do you plan to play music, through CD player or computer?
planning to keep this in the hall which is around 14 feet x 14 feet.

the computer is a cuurent source, later I can go for a cd player or integrated would work better for me.

the computer is a cuurent source, later I can go for a cd player or integrated would work better for me.
Marantz PM 6006 integrated amplifier has inbuilt DAC which can take digital inputs from your computer. Try auditioning them with wharfedale diamond 225 and see if you like the pair. For indian classical and ghazals this should be a good combo in your budget and room size.

Marantz PM 6006 integrated amplifier has inbuilt DAC which can take digital inputs from your computer. Try auditioning them with wharfedale diamond 225 and see if you like the pair. For indian classical and ghazals this should be a good combo in your budget and room size.
thanks for the input, will review them and get back to you.

the computer is a current source, later I can go for a cd player or integrated would work better for me.
Hi Cheluvaraj, Can you upload a picture of the room as well? BTW, I stay in RR Nagar in Bangalore (2 Kms detour from Mysore Road). In case you visit Bangalore, you can stop over by my place to have a listen to my setup. I have a few entry level gears on sale in case they interest you. I listen to a lot of Indian classical (both Carnatic and Hindustani). A listening session would get you initiated on flavors of amplification (AVR vs Tube hybrids vs Digital Amplifier) and Floor standers vs Bookshelves.

Recently I came to know that there are so many options for the music systems for specific music types. Well, I'm interested in Indian classical music, Sufi, jazz and would like to have a good system to listen to the same. I'm very new to music and its technical knowledge. Someone told me that a good pair of bookshelf speakers and AVR should do. when I search for bookshelf speakers again I get a whole range of options and not able to figure out which one to select.

so I request you to help me to select a good system for me. my budget is around 50 to 60 k for both (speakers and AVR)
I'm based in Mysore so anything online is fine or I can even go to Bangalore to pick up from the store. Or any used ones are also fine if it is working fine.

thanks in advance
Cheluvaraj
Hi cheluvaraj , for your music listing my suggestion is go for florstand speakers + stereo amplifier, used or new, you listening kannada music? Or other languages music

Hi Cheluvaraj, Can you upload a picture of the room as well? BTW, I stay in RR Nagar in Bangalore (2 Kms detour from Mysore Road). In case you visit Bangalore, you can stop over by my place to have a listen to my setup. I have a few entry level gears on sale in case they interest you. I listen to a lot of Indian classical (both Carnatic and Hindustani). A listening session would get you initiated on flavors of amplification (AVR vs Tube hybrids vs Digital Amplifier) and Floor standers vs Bookshelves.

Will send you the picture my place where I'm planning to keep it, Could you please send me the details of the gears which you are planning to sell? would like to know the model number, specifications, photos and price details. this would help me plan for a visit to your place.

Will send you the picture my place where I'm planning to keep it, Could you please send me the details of the gears which you are planning to sell? would like to know the model number, specifications, photos and price details. this would help me plan for a visit to your place.
Hi Cheluvaraj, Here is my ad. I would suggest that you listen to a few set ups, discover your ears (whether you like bright speakers or warm speakers) before buying any gear. I used to think that warm speakers were cool and I would like them but my taste was just the opposite! I love bright speakers. I discovered it only after listening to a few setups.

You might want to look at this

Though I would request you to listen to Acoustic Portrait in Bangalore. May not be in your budget, but do listen to their amps and speakers.

You might want to look at this

Though I would request you to listen to Acoustic Portrait in Bangalore. May not be in your budget, but do listen to their amps and speakers.

Acoustic Portrait seems to be good, but I don't have that much budget, maybe later I can think of.
I kind of like the ad you suggested, this could work for me as a beginner. by any chance, you know the seller? i will also message him for more details.

Thanks

Acoustic Portrait seems to be good, but I don't have that much budget, maybe later I can think of.
I kind of like the ad you suggested, this could work for me as a beginner. by any chance, you know the seller? i will also message him for more details.

Thanks
No, I don't know the seller.
There's an Acoustic Portrait Swara offered in below thread. New is Rs 40,000

At this price rage there are so many options that it gets very confusing to get it right , but again there are so many optopns that with little bit of research you will not get very wrong either !

If i may , i would actually suggest a Microcomp receiver+ Speaker instead of complete separates as else you will need to figure out a cd player and an amp all in a price which might leave you very little for a speaker and Since the receiver is a Amp+CD player + tuner in one unit, it will help.

For the receiver, get one from any good brand like Marantz, Denon or Yamaha.. eg
or https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-R-N602-receiver-Bluetooth®-MusicCast/dp/B0148NKVJY/

For a speaker there are many options in the 30K range.. you can consider. maybe go to some dealers in bangalore,
eg the Dali zensor 3 mentioned above is pretty good

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back