Looking for Home theater speakers with deep bass!

edjamesx

Hello all,
I am looking for good home theater speakers (for front stage - left,right,center) with deep bass. Most of the time i will be watching movies (Hollywood movies most of the time and regional movies sometimes) , music choice is very less.

Initial plan is to get good front sound stage with deep bass, and add surround speakers later if required. I owned bose speakers paired with onkyo amp in the past. This combo was pretty decent for watching movies in the mid sized rooms. Now planing to try something new..

My room size is 11x16 ft.

I am looking for front speakers + sub within 1.2 L , can extend max up to 1.5L.
Also please recommend , whether i need to go for two sub woofers for getting deep bass.

Look at the below DYI subwoofer , seems to be good , Thought we may build sub with additional drivers for deep bass.
Dayton Audio Subwoofer Kits - Speaker & Subwoofer Kits - Loudspeaker Components

I am yet to audition the speakers , so please recommend me which speakers will suit my taste.

My thoughts are
Boston Acoustics subwoofers
Speakers Dali , Boston Acoustics , Monitor Audio

Last edited:
Hi,

With the mentioned budget, I am sure you can look for something decent.

You will need to look @ Floor standing or towers as fronts and bookshelf speakers for surround.

Good bass means the 5.0 setup without woofer should have mid bass drivers which are minimum 4/5 inch.

You should look at subs which are 10 inch or 12 inch with minimum continous power of 150watts..

Would suggest you audition systems with the various dealers around and make a note of what you like in terms of performance, appearance, features and prices...

Share the same with us and we can further guide you.

I assume the old setup would not exist and the budget mentioned by you is for speakers + avr + player etc?

Thanks for the reply..
I assume the old setup would not exist and the budget mentioned by you is for speakers + avr + player etc?

My Amp is still working fine , I will keep it.
The above budget is for Subwoofers + front +center speakers. ( I don't bother about surround speakers now... i will add it later).

Hi,

How about trying something different?

Take a look the below option. You may find it interesting.

Technoguru - Crystal Audio - T2-5.1-UL - THX Certified 5.1 Package with 12" SUB

Although you have mentioned you're not looking for surrounds as of now but since you said you're specifically looking for a system for movies I thought to suggest you this.

This complete package is quite capable and after discounts it will be well within your budget.

I took an audition, and it simply blew me away. Never heard anything so powerful in any audition till date. All the speakers are THX certified. The towers are very well rated and by looking at the specs, the sub can go down to 15Hz.

Take an audition.

Cheers

Hello all,
I am looking for good home theater speakers (for front stage - left,right,center) with deep bass. Most of the time i will be watching movies (Hollywood movies most of the time and regional movies sometimes) , music choice is very less.

Initial plan is to get good front sound stage with deep bass, and add surround speakers later if required. I owned bose speakers paired with onkyo amp in the past. This combo was pretty decent for watching movies in the mid sized rooms. Now planing to try something new..

Also please recommend , whether i need to go for two sub woofers for getting deep bass.

Look at the below DYI subwoofer , seems to be good , Thought we may build sub with additional drivers for deep bass.

I am yet to audition the speakers , so please recommend me which speakers will suit my taste.

My thoughts are

Take a look at Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL Left/Center/Right Speaker

Two sub-woofer seem to do a better job than one, so add two subwoofer's of your choice..

Taga Harmony Platinum SW-10 v.2 Active Subwoofer

I haven't heard both of these, but would suit your movie only requirements..

Once you set the crossover at 80hz, your two sub-woofers would take care of the deep-bass and if you are using identical speakers for your HT 3/5/7/9, will only make it sound great... Fronts, center & surrounds would all sound the same..Would be a seamless soundstage..

My brother has 3.1 HT setup.. He uses 3 of the same speaker as Left, center & right...Can feel the difference..

Let us know what works for you..

Dear friend BassHead, where you took the audition of Crystal speakers set. I am also looking for same and presently in audition phase. If you provide me details that will be great help.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Hello all,

My thoughts are

What frequency do you define as deep bass, and please try to refer to frequency that has been measured/known and not a manufacturer spec sheet.

Most commercial theaters in India extend to somewhere between 25-35Hz for reference. The JBL 4641 and 4642A are the most often installed subs in Indian theaters based on my experiences/knowledge, typically useful extension is about 25-35Hz again depending upon various factors. In a small room you should probably gain significant room gain to help extend lower with the same sub compared to a large commercial theater.

Also do note deep bass is usually a function of frequency response, DSP greatly helps. Most of the bass that typically is perceived as deep bass by most consumers tends to be in the 25-50Hz band.

Finally most speakers are not designed for such extension, they are usually intended to be used with subs. This method is also followed in commercial theaters.

Hi

Congrats on your home theater plan.
I'm going to reveal something you will be surprised,

I have with m monitor audio platinum speaker package with front tower, back book selva and center and yes a huge 12 inch unifier. . Purchased in 2013 and opened a package and never used, even the tightness of the speaker is stil there, otherwise it's called run in.. Any audio hi,e cart can check and authenticate.. It costed. Me 8.92 lacs without speaker stand and subwoofer..

I wanted to sell it pls quote if you are interested..

If you know about high end audiophile speaker system.then I'm sure you neared of monitored in platinum package ..

Hello all,

My thoughts are

@rpmahale

Hi,

I auditioned the Crystal speakers in SBT Corporations, Hyderabad. You can take a look at Technoguru and The Home Theater Store websites.

Cheers

What frequency do you define as deep bass, and please try to refer to frequency that has been measured/known and not a manufacturer spec sheet.
I am not a audio expert ,I am not sure about the exact figures...I was expecting something like in movie theaters - tight and good Bass.

For a Theater like movie watching I am afraid you will need a dedicated HT room.......a lot depends on the room acoustics. The speakers and AVR alone cannot do the job. But yeah you treat your living room itself with minimum acoustics and set up a good HT.

For a Theater like movie watching I am afraid you will need a dedicated HT room.......a lot depends on the room acoustics. The speakers and AVR alone cannot do the job. But yeah you treat your living room itself with minimum acoustics and set up a good HT.

I have a dedicated room for HT. And I have projector setup .. And others. Looking for good speaker upgrade

Okay, that clears the air a bit.
Actually the title is a little misleading making one think the speakers themselves need to have deep bass. What you probably meant was the system needs to have deep bass.
For theatre sound what you need are bookshelves and one or two subs. Two subs for better, more even bass.

Check these out in Chennai. Rather above your budget but very tempting.
TRIAD Classic INROOM GOLD LCR Speakers in good condition - HiFiADS.com

Also look at Dali, KEF, PSB, Elac and Morel Solan.

For subwoofers consider Taga Platinum SW10. A group buy is being planned by FM efernand1
Look at this thread.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/10836-musical-stereo-subwoofer-vs-ht-subwoofer-8.html

Else look at Polk DSW 550/660, Velodyne Impact, etc

What are your AVR and current speakers?

If yours is a dedicated HT then am sure you are with in reach for what you are looking for. I would suggest you to look at SVS PB1000, if not 2, atleast 1 :) They can go real deep and am sure they will touch your deep soul. All the best.
I have a Velodyne Impact 12 and they are really good for movie watching.

What is your current speaker/avr set-up? Do you watch ripped content or content on bluray/dvd?

Home theater PC , onkyo amp , Bose satellite speakers, view sonic projector
I watch ripped content most of the time and DVDs. Soon will be getting blu Ray player

Last edited:
If you want deep bass, then you can't beat size & no of drivers. You will need 15" + Subwoofer drivers and in multiples, spread in the room. 10" subwoofers just won't cut it. There is no beating physics.

At your budget of 1.5 lacs, DIY is the better option but I doubt whether even that will be sufficient.

Look at the Ultimax subwoofer drivers at parts-express. They have got great reviews and are quite bang for buck.

I am not a audio expert ,I am not sure about the exact figures...I was expecting something like in movie theaters - tight and good Bass.

Tight and good bass is a complex subject, especially in a small room.

There are technical things to consider such as frequency response,phase/group delay,impulse,direct vs reflected sound and room decay.

If you are looking for an easy solution that is simply plug and play to the highest degree possible then I recommend using professional cinema speakers installed by knowledgeable people, I should note most dealers do not qualify. Still room treatments and DSP optimization for issues and tuning to preference will offer great rewards.

One important point to note is that tight/good bass is a wide band occurrence and needs full bandwidth for proper reproduction. Excess bass and response/time issues as often seen in many "bass heavy" car systems will result in a lot of boom and muddiness. I would also recommend focusing on the 50-300Hz range if you want tight bass. If however you want a lot of "boom" you should look at 25-50Hz.

In general your best bet are professional speakers which will have the output,sensitivity and dynamics to successfully give you that movie sound, which is what theaters use. However depending on the particular speaker in question it may or may not work for HT use, also as mentioned I highly recommend external DSP but you may want to be wary of using DSP with home speakers as the wrong setting may kill your drivers, professional speakers will be able to tolerate a lot more. Of course it is best to learn about this but again if seeking plug and play your choices are limited and will only be as good as the equipment,room and installer combined.

I want to emphasize, do not underestimate the value of the room and setup. Particularly for tight/fast bass.

Last edited:
Back