Looking for multiple subwoofers for upcoming HT

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi DIY guys,

Here's a total DIY noob calling upon this fraternity.
Am looking for 2 or 4 subs for my upcoming HT room.
Dedicated room but space is shared with an indepedendent stereo setup.
Room size 23.5 x 14 x 11.5 feet.

Refering to this thread of mine.

A. Now, I have no DIY skills. So looking for opinions first.
Firstly two or four?
Secondly, what size?
Thirdly, what drivers and amp?
Budget - say 1 lac to give a round figure :) . Lesser the better ;).
I am past the age of action thrillers so I am not looking for room shaking chest thumping bass.

B. Next up, I have a good carpenter and a guy who builds decent speakers.
Do you guys think they will be able to build these for me?
In case you think they should be able to, I will need detailed help from some of you.
Or, in case someone here can build and ship to me, I will be eternally grateful :D.
Costing and logistics can be discussed.

Thanks for reading

Couple of questions ...
1. Box Size ?
2. Desired SPL level ? ( Dolby states 115db + 10db head room)
3. Subwoofer size 10,12 ?
4. Ported or Sealed ? ( As the intended use is stated as HT ported will be advised)

I had gone down the same path and realized atleast from calculations is 4X12 inch subs ported down to 25hz in roughly 60-80L cabs will give approx 125db at 1m at 35hz and 105db at 20hz ..

regards
aniket
Mumbai

Last edited:

I guess this requirement would apply when someone is listening at reference levels in the room.. (Roughly 0 dB) on the AVR.. If he listens at lower levels, then ther could be some relaxation w.r.t the required SPL..

I had gone down the same path and realized atleast from calculations is 4X12 inch subs ported down to 25hz in roughly 60-80L cabs will give approx 125db at 1m at 35hz and 105db at 20hz ..

Am no skilled DIY'er like some of you are, but i tried building and currently using 12 inch IWAI drivers in sealed enclosure.. Not sure of the volume in liters, but the dimensions are 15 x 15 x 17 Inches.. With just 2 subs in the, and when measured the subs were capable of doing 20hz at 100 dB SPL, in-room response.. I just moved to Quad sealed subs, which i believe should have even more higher SPL output and more headroom with lower extension..

I would look at 2 high quality subs like JL Audio / Rythmik 15 inch subs...

Understand... JL Audio subs can be calibrated to the room using a mike and its supposed to be quite easy...

But i feel you will have to drop more money for these..

If HT is your primary need - then ported IMO.

Couple of questions ...
1. Box Size ?
3. Subwoofer size 10,12 ?
4. Ported or Sealed ? ( As the intended use is stated as HT ported will be advised)

regards
aniket
Mumbai
Hi Aniket
All that is what I am asking suggestions for. I am quite a noob here.
Thanks for the calculations

Last edited:
To provide any suggestion the minimum information required is room size and how far away you are seated from the sub

Dolby Spec may be for Theaters, As far as I know hearing above 95-100db level continuously will cause permanent hearing damage.
1 General HT Sub for home use, the sensitivity of driver about 85-90db should suffice.
2, in open space the volume loss for ever doubling of distance is 6db, but a closed room is just around half that ie 3db., pick sub(s) that can play atleast to 100-105db at your listening position.

My recommendation for sub:
https://www.diyaudioparts.com/SB-Acoustics-SB34SWPL-76-4-12-Subwoofer--4-ohms_p_298.html in 1.5 cuft sealed box.
Mainly because it works very well in small sealed enclosures, as low as 1cu ft and still provide a good low end punch.

Other choices can be found at:

I dont suggest car audio brands for home, they are too much hype and overpriced.

Considering your room, i think 2 15" subs will be sufficient. You might look into dual 12" drivers per side as well.

For driving them effortlessly, you might look into pro power amps like crown, qsc (1000wpc category).

For reference, i have a smaller room - 15' x 10' x 10' (h). I'm building 2 subs with dual 10" drivers per side coupled with 1000 wpc diy class d amps.

Hi DIY guys,

Here's a total DIY noob calling upon this fraternity.
Am looking for 2 or 4 subs for my upcoming HT room.
Dedicated room but space is shared with an indepedendent stereo setup.
Room size 23.5 x 14 x 11.5 feet.

Refering to this thread of mine.

A. Now, I have no DIY skills. So looking for opinions first.
Firstly two or four?
Secondly, what size?
Thirdly, what drivers and amp?
Budget - say 1 lac to give a round figure :) . Lesser the better ;).
I am past the age of action thrillers so I am not looking for room shaking chest thumping bass.

B. Next up, I have a good carpenter and a guy who builds decent speakers.
Do you guys think they will be able to build these for me?
In case you think they should be able to, I will need detailed help from some of you.
Or, in case someone here can build and ship to me, I will be eternally grateful :D.
Costing and logistics can be discussed.

Thanks for reading
Hi,
I'm thinking to sell my Dali e-12f sub (dual) ,since I have recently upgraded to a monstrous SVS sub,also space constraints to accomdate 3 subs in my small room . (Need to post in our sale section).In case if you are interested ,please ping me.I shall send you further details.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back