Looking for my 1st stereo amp. Utterly confused

sramanujam

Hi All -

I'm utterly confused between the Yamaha AS500, Marantz PM6005 and the NAD 326BEE & 356 BEE DAC.

I would prefer a built in DAC - which means either the 6005 or the 356. But again I had planned to spend not more than Rs 40,000 & the NAD 356 @ La-kozy is quoted 50% higher.'

I like my sound neutral and definitely not bright; warm but not rich.

After doing the rounds, I can't make up my mind.
Can you help me make a choice? What would you recommend based on your experience?

Thanks in advance
~sramanujam

I am building my first hi-fi system. A first time for all components.

Speakers in consideration are -
Jamo C605 & C603; Revel Concerta M12, Dynaudio DM 2/6.
The Dynaudios are a bit out of my league but I liked them the most.

The CD player is going to be a standard DVD player. A Sony. Which is why I wanted a built in DAC. To save myself some money in getting a really good CD player.

Hi All -

I'm utterly confused between the Yamaha AS500, Marantz PM6005 and the NAD 326BEE & 356 BEE DAC.

I would prefer a built in DAC - which means either the 6005 or the 356. But again I had planned to spend not more than Rs 40,000 & the NAD 356 @ La-kozy is quoted 50% higher.'

Can you help me make a choice? What would you recommend based on your experience?

Thanks in advance
~sramanujam

If you want the DAc to be integrated with the amp, why don't you go for a all digital amp. Like the NAD D 3020? Here's a review.

Going all digital will give you the best synergy between your DAC and your amp. Most decent analog stereo amps as a rule will not come with an inbuilt DAC.

Yeah, I checked out the NAD D3020 too. I'm not sure if I want it. Its 30 W output might not be future proof for me.

The PM6005 & the C356BEE both have a built-in DAC, which take in optical leads

Hi All -

Thanks in advance
~sramanujam

Hi First of all, Welcome to the forum and all the Best for you Set-up.

If you looking for Pure Neutral sound they Nothing in the league can beat Marantz.
Nad Would be quite warm and you cant expect and Yammy are on the Lite brighter Site but with better Speakes they could run Neutral.

Thee is Yammy AS-500 out for sale section.You could have a look in case you are interested in Used products.

But make sure the source are in fine quality.If in case you have a very good collection of CD,Then no log in investing in Good cd ELSE DAC router is better.

Make your List ready and keep audition until your Ears say "Ah this wat am looking for"

Yeah, I checked out the NAD D3020 too. I'm not sure if I want it. Its 30 W output might not be future proof for me.

I didn't realize that. Sorry for making a wrong assumption.

I do feel that a DAC and an amp should be separated or you should go for a fully digital amp. There are other options from NuForce and Wadia (PowerDAC) as well. But just some personal thoughts, so please ignore.

I do want to point out one option. I haven't heard it but I quite respect the company and what they stand for. I do have their DAC and it is very very good sound quality for the money.

Audio GD now makes amps as well (Precision 1 and Precision 2). They are also priced very competitively - for the quality of components and build quality you are getting.

I only shared this option if you want to pair it with their DAC at a later stage. The amp itself has good specs too. This will most likely be my upgrade path as well.

Again, big caveat - I haven't heard it myself, so please take that into account.

sramanujam: could please tell me where did you audition the NAD D 3020 and the C356BEE in India. How did you find them? What price is the dealer quoting here. Please PM me the details of the dealer and the prices.

If you are on a budget, you can consider Yamaha AS500 amp (quite neutral/uncolored when used with slightly warm speakers). I have been using AS500 for the past 2 yrs with Wharfedale 10.2 and i am very much happy with it. It gives very natural/clean sound. But DAC you need to buy separately.

If you are on a budget, you can consider Yamaha AS500 amp (quite neutral/uncolored when used with slightly warm speakers). I have been using AS500 for the past 2 yrs with Wharfedale 10.2 and i am very much happy with it. It gives very natural/clean sound. But DAC you need to buy separately.

Hey Ebenezer,

Lets say id i were to go for a setup similar as yours do i need a DAC ? Can i work around with a belkin bluetooth receiver and use it as interface between my laptop ipad nexus 4 with yamaha rs500?

I understand using a bluetooth instead of a dac or network receiver or cd player is a step down interms of Quality. But how big is the huge step down? Could you break it up for me as to what kind of implications it could have?

I am considering this setup since there is scope for upgrade to a dac later on probably after a year or two.

But having said that if you believe it doesnt make sense id like to understand why

Thanks!
Anand

Hey Ebenezer,

Lets say id i were to go for a setup similar as yours do i need a DAC ? Can i work around with a belkin bluetooth receiver and use it as interface between my laptop ipad nexus 4 with yamaha rs500?

Thanks!
Anand

I would make it clear that the NAD M-DAC is a modular DAC that is 'Pluggable' into a NAD C-326BEE Amp, but you have to buy it separately (unless some one is selling a used combo).

Coming back to using a Belkin BT, I would rather suggest you to use a 3.5mm Stereo to RCA and directly connect your Phone/Tab to the Amp - NAD 326 even has a 3.5mm socket on the front panel.
Alternatively, you can also buy an inexpensive FiiO E10 DAC (Rs 6K) and then upgrade to more Audiophile DAC (which has no limit as long you have funds to spend) later.

I find most of BT device as peice of crap and a Good par of RCA to be better for a serious setup.

+1 Ujjwaana

BT route is really crappy, I would never recommend them, it would be better to opt for a 3.5mm jack.

Like mentioned, get a good stereo, don't worry about DAC integrated. Get a separate DAC when you have funds, you wont regret.

I had a CA 650 and used Apple's Airport to stream music, the output was much better than my friends CA651 (with DAC) connected directly to his MAC. He keeps complaining that he has to take volume levels to almost 3'o clock to make it play decently, whereas I never had to take it further than 12'o.

Its just my opinion, DAC -> Int Amp would be a better option.

I'm using a NAD 326 presently and I prefer it more than the CA 650, its a bit bass heavy, but I prefer it that way, the CA's where neutral.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back