Looking for my first turntable

samvee

hello,

i am looking to buy my very first TT. i have no experience with this stuff, but i recently discovered a large collection of old LPs that belonged to my great grandmother and cannot stop thinking about what is on them.

i went into the ProFX store today to look at the Denon DP 29F and have been having a big debate about whether i should hold out to find a really good vintage TT or whether i should cave and get this one. if i were to be totally honest, one of my biggest issues is that i hate how plastic it looks and i would love something with a more solid construction and old timey look. my other concern is that having had no experience with this analogue, i do want something fairly easy to use. the denon is also around 11K and i was hoping it would be a bit cheaper.

what i am really hoping for is someone to convince to get the denon or for a nice, well informed collector on this forum to sell me a wonderful working vintage TT and set me off on my analogue explorations :)

Anyone?

PS: i own an amplifier and some speakers

I would say, stay away from the Denon.. For the same budget or a little more stretched you could lay your hands on some beautiful Japanese vintage TTs.. You could search for a Pioneer or Technics direct drive TT. Or if you want something new, stretch your budget and go in for an entry level Rega or Project. I am sure other FMs would pitch in with better suggestions giving you plenty of options!
Cheers

I would say, stay away from the Denon.. For the same budget or a little more stretched you could lay your hands on some beautiful Japanese vintage TTs.. You could search for a Pioneer or Technics direct drive TT. Or if you want something new, stretch your budget and go in for an entry level Rega or Project. I am sure other FMs would pitch in with better suggestions giving you plenty of options!
Cheers

+1 to this, here's a gentleman talking out of experience. If you want something simple to play your records (fidelity not an issue) then Denon DP 29F should be good enough. If you are looking for pure old school vinyl sound, then vintage is the route. If you want to stay modern and still listen to vinyl, then go the modern route. What comprises your vinyl collection, new or pre-used? If you have pre-used stuff, you'd need a TT with excellent tracking capability. Lots of factors to consider. List out the following and our fellow forum members will be able to guide you:

1) are you a pure first timer or do you have some experience with vinyl (atleast listening experience)?
2) what is your budget?
3) do you own records, preused or new?
4) do you have the associated infrastructure like a integrated amp with a phonostage or a dedicated phonostage?
5) what is your aesthetic taste? classic or modern?
6) are you a guy that understands electronics and mechanicals?
7) why do you want to get into vinyl?
8) do you think vinyl will sound better than cds?

more questions in relation to guidance will evolve once you ideally answer some of these.

or a nice, well informed collector on this forum to sell me a wonderful working vintage TT

most of us have this fantasy:

For some of us, this "wonderful working vintage TT" could be a Technicsl SL1200, a Garrard 301/401, a Technics SP10, a Thorens TD124, a Lenco GL75 or even better still, an EMT :licklips:

Before joining this forum even I was looking at those plastic USB turntables. I din't want to spend more than 10k. I placed an order for some Lenco TT on flipkart 3 TIMES. All 3 times they cancelled my order (no stock apparently). Then I placed an order on Ebay.in for a Pyle TT. Again my money got refunded (seller couldn't procure the item from US).

Now I started to think that so many cancellations cannot be coincidence..Somebody just doesn't want me to buy these plastic TTs :eek:hyeah: So with the help of FMs here I bought my first (vintage) TT and I'm very happy with that now :) So even I'd suggest going for a good old, well built, used vinage TT.

Before joining this forum even I was looking at those plastic USB turntables. I din't want to spend more than 10k. I placed an order for some Lenco TT on flipkart 3 TIMES. All 3 times they cancelled my order (no stock apparently). Then I placed an order on Ebay.in for a Pyle TT. Again my money got refunded (seller couldn't procure the item from US).

Now I started to think that so many cancellations cannot be coincidence..Somebody just doesn't want me to buy these plastic TTs :eek:hyeah: So with the help of FMs here I bought my first (vintage) TT and I'm very happy with that now :) So even I'd suggest going for a good old, well built, used vinage TT.

you are blessed, god and destiny are definitely on your side.

providence saved you from making the "epic blunder" of your lifetime.

I am a strong advocate of newbees to use good vintage Turntables to give them a 'warm welcome' to the Vinyl world. There is a Pioneer PL 540 Turntable for sale in Bangalore for Rs 8 K. If you are interested, please PM me
Regards
kuruvilajacob

+1 to this, here's a gentleman talking out of experience. If you want something simple to play your records (fidelity not an issue) then Denon DP 29F should be good enough. If you are looking for pure old school vinyl sound, then vintage is the route. If you want to stay modern and still listen to vinyl, then go the modern route. What comprises your vinyl collection, new or pre-used? If you have pre-used stuff, you'd need a TT with excellent tracking capability. Lots of factors to consider. List out the following and our fellow forum members will be able to guide you:

1) are you a pure first timer or do you have some experience with vinyl (atleast listening experience)?
2) what is your budget?
3) do you own records, preused or new?
4) do you have the associated infrastructure like a integrated amp with a phonostage or a dedicated phonostage?
5) what is your aesthetic taste? classic or modern?
6) are you a guy that understands electronics and mechanicals?
7) why do you want to get into vinyl?
8) do you think vinyl will sound better than cds?

more questions in relation to guidance will evolve once you ideally answer some of these.

answers:

1) pure first timer in every sense
2) 10K is the upper limit although i could be persuaded to go upto 12K if i am confronted with something really beautiful
3) i've found some old records. i can't say anything about their condition or age (they are at least 60 years old)
4) i don't know what infrastructure i have - we have an amp and some onkyo speakers, (i'll check tonight when i get home and give you a proper answer)
5) i like both classic and modern (mid-century modern)
6) i am a woman who doesn't understand electronics or mechanicals very well, but i am open to learning about them
7) i think i've answered this one
8) yes, i think vinyl will sound better and i am really looking for that sound

-samvee

I am a strong advocate of newbees to use good vintage Turntables to give them a 'warm welcome' to the Vinyl world. There is a Pioneer PL 540 Turntable for sale in Bangalore for Rs 8 K. If you are interested, please PM me
Regards
kuruvilajacob

yes, please!

not sure if i can pm - i don't see the pm button anywhere (sorry for being so useless on this forum, i have no experience with this either).

Cheers

any idea of where to start looking for one of those (especially the japanese TTs)?

yes, please!

not sure if i can pm - i don't see the pm button anywhere (sorry for being so useless on this forum, i have no experience with this either).

Click on the forum member name to whom you want to send a private message(pm). the option should be there. or it will get activated after few more posts from your side.

meanwhile that pioneer TT offered by Mr. Kuruvila seems very good. further you will save on shipping costs as the TT is lying in Bangalore itself as mentioned by Mr. Kuruvila.

Strictly for your budget, my humble advice is to look for a vintage Indian TT(Sonodyne,Cosmic) with a good working Indian cart(classic 700 preferred). Listening to records is not only TT, depending upon your amp, you may have to go for a phono stage also. So budget increases. And at the end of the day you may not like the sound at all(condition of the records). So start low and upgrade as you get experience/opportunity.

Regards,

Bhaskar

you are blessed, god and destiny are definitely on your side.

providence saved you from making the "epic blunder" of your lifetime.

Haha! In the turntable matter yes..i have to agree..I was really lucky :D You know when I'd gone to Delhi (for a vacation), I found a shop there in Meena Bazaar (see the link) that had all these turntables.

City Secret LPs & Album Covers, Meena Bazaar | The Delhi Walla

But at the time i went, he dint have much stock. The only ones that he had were a few belt drive, USB TTs from Sony and Pyle..I also checked out a shop in Chandni Chowk (The New Gramophone House)..They also had similar TTs in stock..The reason i dint buy them then was because I thought similar TTs were available at Flipkart so i'd rather go to Bangalore and order (but like I said..all those Flipkart orders got cancelled :p ).

Well some nice deals do come by on websites like olx and quikr. But the main catch with TTs is a seller might replace the original parts with cheaper alternatives to save up some cost and trust me, a few months down the line it gives you a very big heartbreak! You should definitely read up on a thread our FM Reuben has started on what to look out for on your first TT hunt.
Here's the link to it http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/37318-beginner-s-guide-buying-your-first-turntable.html
You can look around for deals in and around Bangalore, also put up a wanted ad here in the forum. All the best searching for one!

@samvee- You will need a phono preamp also alongwith the TT. So keep provision for that. I bought the cheapest I could find at Rs.1700/- (Behringer PP-400). Also, you say the records are 60 yrs old so better check the RPM before buying the TT. In any case, you are in for some quality time.:thumbsup:

Strictly for your budget, my humble advice is to look for a vintage Indian TT(Sonodyne,Cosmic) with a good working Indian cart(classic 700 preferred). Listening to records is not only TT, depending upon your amp, you may have to go for a phono stage also. So budget increases. And at the end of the day you may not like the sound at all(condition of the records). So start low and upgrade as you get experience/opportunity.

Regards,

Bhaskar

I'm also echoing your comments. I have started my journey with Philips 242 and then slowly upgraded to Technics and Rotel. now hunt is on for Garrad 301 or 401. Sonodyne 3000D or 4000D is very good option as a starter TT.

But the main catch with TTs is a seller might replace the original parts with cheaper alternatives to save up some cost and trust me, a few months down the line it gives you a very big heartbreak!

Happened with me. The seller had fitted furniture feet of plastics like ones in a chair to the TT along with a non-genuine headshell. And both of them are expensive items as far as TTs are concerned.

Also, as advised earlier, check if the records are 33/45 RPMs or older 78s (since it belongs to your great grandmother). In case of latter, you would have limited options and you would need to refine your search much more by adding the 78 RPM speed 'filter'.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back