Looking for Open cans

gevarghe

Hi,

As the title says, I want a new pair of open cans... so hit me with some recommendations:

Has to be musical with a decent soundstage and bass (quality over quantity)
Gonna use them unamped (no money for a dedicated amp) or with an E5 (don't think much of it) that I have lying around. Source will be my sansa clip and nexus phone and desktop sound card (audigy)

These seem well regarded:
Audio Technica AD700 / AD900
Fischer audio FA-003 / FA-011

I'd go for the ATs but worried about my smallish head and their huge size...
Availability in India would be good but can always go the borderlinx way

Pristine Note (Mumbai) is now a country distributor for Audio Technica. Audio Technica : Pristine Note, Shop audio, headphones, amplifier, DAC, hifi, mp3, audiophile products online store India

I don't see the AD700/AD900 on the website, but they may be available with Pristine Note.

Thanks... I had considered it but looking at their pricing for the M50, I doubt they'd give me a price I could live with. Esp. when I know could buy it from amazon and ship it here via borderlinx or shopandship...

I would recommend the Superlux HD668B - its a fantastic pair of headphones for the price. I have used it directly from my iPod/computer as well as from an amp and can vouch for good performance unamped ( though if you do amp it with the E5, you'll already notice some improvement!). You can read a full review at Headfonia.

The AD700/900 seem huge because they fit around the whole ear. Still, I would like them to be a little higher on my head than the self-adjusting fittings allow, but don't worry about the size of earpieces themselves.

I auditioned both in Singapore (and posted about the experience here somewhere).

The AD700 is very nice indeed. The AD900 will make you feel you are sitting in front of expensive speakers --- in fact, they even have that concert-hall space feeling with orchestral music.

The AD900s are very open. Turn them up loud and everybody else in the room will be listening too! But then, you have already decided you want open headphones. Personally, I never liked the isolating feeling of closed headphones, except for commuting/public places.

Hi,

As the title says, I want a new pair of open cans... so hit me with some recommendations:

Has to be musical with a decent soundstage and bass (quality over quantity)
Gonna use them unamped (no money for a dedicated amp) or with an E5 (don't think much of it) that I have lying around. Source will be my sansa clip and nexus phone and desktop sound card (audigy)

These seem well regarded:
Audio Technica AD700 / AD900
Fischer audio FA-003 / FA-011

I'd go for the ATs but worried about my smallish head and their huge size...
Availability in India would be good but can always go the borderlinx way

You Can try the Alessandro Ms 1 its the same Grado Customised and Branded as Aslessandro some say its better then SR80 and smoother without being harsh

for me, the only time I can possibly listen to cans is when in office. Since I sit along with lots of ppl closeby, open cans are not an option, not till I earn a cabin for myself.
Are there any open sounding closed cans :) I like the sound of yamaha cans they are partially closed/ open.

Actually, the guy in Singapore did give me some "open-sounding closed cans" to try. I don't know if I can find that old post of mine....

Thanks everyone for chiming in... I've heard of the Superlux 668 aka "Giantkillers" on the head-fi... At that price it's worth a shot... Lynx had it on their website but apparently not available to buy (typical typical)

Gobble has been kind enough to let me have an audition of his AD700 but I haven't had the time to take him up on that yet...

Question to everyone is where can we buy headphones in India?... I'm not even talking about auditioning them just buying them from a store or website

Got it! It was this thread where Gobble buys his! here

Must have been the ultrasones I was thinking of. Not even 100% sure they were closed, now, and no model numbers. Sorry to disapoint
On recommendation from the staff, I also listened to Grado and Ultrasone 'phones. The Grado did not sound as good as the AKGs (but was still pretty damned good!)... the Ultrasones had a wonderful sound, but I did not like the on-ear fit. Sorry: I didn't note the model numbers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back