Looking for recommendations - Tidal via Firestick 4K

Hi,

Was wondering if it makes sense to subscribe for and play tidal via my firestick 4k connected to avr via HDMI. Does anyone use tidal like this? Does my entry level receiver mean I shouldn’t bother with Tidal HiFi/MQA?

Or should I consider a dedicated streamer for this. Will It makes a substantial difference vs the above option?

Just trying to understand the limitations and possible scenarios, as Im considering improving my music source from the current spotify app via firestick 4k.

My setup is Yamaha 3072 and Q acoustics 3020i with a powered sub.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I have a similar setup, the quality of the Master tracks doesn't pop out due to the codec limitation of FireStick. To truly enjoy their Master track better get a DAC that supports MQA and then hook it up to your Amplifier/AVR.

I have Tidal on Firestick 4K and use it to play ATMOS tracks.

Any idea what the audio output specifications are of the firestick 4k playing Tidal (connected via HDMI to avr)? If it’s able to play CD quality and above, then I’ll probably not consider getting a dedicated streamer/DAC.
Also, could I know what’s your setup for this?
Thank you.

I have a similar setup, the quality of the Master tracks doesn't pop out due to the codec limitation of FireStick. To truly enjoy their Master track better get a DAC that supports MQA and then hook it up to your Amplifier/AVR.

Thanks for that. Could you share how you’ve been able to activate Tidal on the firestick? This would be really helpful as I want to do the trial before confirming. Not sure if the VPN route works on the firestick.
Thanks so much.

My Setup is Firestick4K>>>Marantz6012>>>Speakers

AVR is getting DD+ with ATMOS when a ATMOS track is playing on Firestick 4K

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 13.22.53 (1).jpeg

I can see the Tracks with flag 'M' (Master) are available to play. Not sure if MQA decoding is taking place in this case. AVR is getting PCM signal
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 13.22.53.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 13.22.52.jpeg

Thanks for that. Could you share how you’ve been able to activate Tidal on the firestick? This would be really helpful as I want to do the trial before confirming. Not sure if the VPN route works on the firestick.
Thanks so much.
VPN is not required to play the tracks its required only for registration.
App is officially not available on Firestick App Store. You need to sideload it.

View attachment 49648

I can see the Tracks with flag 'M' (Master) are available to play. Not sure if MQA decoding is taking place in this case. AVR is getting PCM signal
View attachment 49649

View attachment 49650

Thanks so much. Really appreciate you taking the time out for this and sharing these.

Quick question - would you happen to know the max sample size playable via this setup?

View attachment 49648

View attachment 49649

View attachment 49650
Tracks with M will play in any device with Master quality. But without MQA support only first layer unfolding happens. My cheap android phone also plays tracks in Master, But full MQA unfolding doesn't happen.

i have installed it on fire tv 4K, its ok for listening to atmos tracks (as we dont have much options) but for regular music listening i think we should use regular methods of listening , others can correct me if iam wrong or share ur experince

Just tried the tidal trial and side loaded the tidal app on firestick. Honestly, couldn’t tell much of a difference vs spotify on the same setup. So i guess I’ll need to figure an alternative in the form of a dedicated mqa streamer/IA or a mqa dac and then try this.

Will be helpful if anyone has recommendations on the best way to utilise high res streaming, with my AVR and speaker setup. Apart from a mqa dac/streamer, will I also need to upgrade my receiver?

Till then, I guess it’ll be spotify for me.

Thanks so much.
I sideloaded Tidal apk on my Firestick. You need a VPN to register for Tidal but after registration, Tidal streams fine without a VPN. FYI...

Just tried the tidal trial and side loaded the tidal app on firestick. Honestly, couldn’t tell much of a difference vs spotify on the same setup. So i guess I’ll need to figure an alternative in the form of a dedicated mqa streamer/IA or a mqa dac and then try this.

Will be helpful if anyone has recommendations on the best way to utilise high res streaming, with my AVR and speaker setup. Apart from a mqa dac/streamer, will I also need to upgrade my receiver?

Till then, I guess it’ll be spotify for me.

You don't really need to upgrade the receiver.
I have checked with the Heos app that you get a max 16bit 44.1khz lossless CD quality.
You will definitely need a MQA DAC. However as general consensus goes it's very difficult to differentiate between lossless CD quality and MQA.
Atleast i tried that with my computer setup and am yet to find that elusive borderline.

Cheers

Back