Looking for speakers for my 5.1 setup with Yamaha RX-V4A

Are Polk Audio Signature S20 good for USD $320? If I get them, I will use them as front L/R with Yamaha RX-V4A. The S20 pair is box pack and I cannot audition them.

I auditioned Paradigm Monitor SE Atom in stereo with some Emotica amp. I enjoyed it.

The S20s are segment above Atom's. Am I right?

Will it be a good 'gamble' to go for S20s without auditioning them just because they are segment above as compared to SE Atoms?

If I go with 20s, I will have to purchase S30 or S35 as center channel. I had auditioned a setup with Marantz X2700h, Polk Audio Elite Signature ES55 as front L/R and ES30 as center. I was left unimpressed. I found the audio to be subdued. I had watched few scenes from Top Gun: Maverick.

In India it is almost impossible to audition more than 2-3 pair of speakers at dealerships.

Finally the beauty Yamaha RX-V4A has arrived. A friend brought this for me from Tokyo, Japan.

A vendor who suppies step down transformers to my office, should provide a 500 Watt, 220V to 100V transformer at reasonable cost.

I am planning to upp my budget on front L/R speakers and get a floor stander. Budget Rs 1 lakh. I read good things about Wharfdale Diamond 12.4 (learnt 12.3 is award winner). A dealer has offered them for Rs 99,500. Is this cost good? My living room is rectangular 20feet x 13 feet. The sitting area which will used for watching movies would be 10 feet by 13 feet. One side is large french window, other side is open/dining space.

Few reviews on hifimart and Andrew Robinson indicate, I may not need a subwoofer with these towers Wharfdale Diamond 12.4. Please advise if I am wrong.

Minimum impedance for all speakers is rated at 6 ohm for Yamaha RX-V4A. Wharfdale Diamond is rated at 8 ohm nominal impedance and 5 ohm minimum. Technician at Wharfdale dealership confirmed Yamaha-RX-V4A would not have trouble driving them. Please advise if I am wrong.

I have a full HD projector currently projecting on one of the living room walls. I have old intex tower speakers which I use rarely. I have set them as front L/R 2 days ago. I did not expect much but the dialogue intelligibility is surprisingly very good.

I had auditioned Dali speaker setup at one of dealers. Dialogues coming from center channel Oberon vokal was clear (can't say punchy) but it felt unnatural to me. It seemed to come from a box rather than from entire front.
With my crappy intex towers as front L/R I like the dialogues more. With this experience I am also inclined to think than I would not go for a center channel speaker. Instead I would pump up the budget for front L and R.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-004008~2.png
    Screenshot_20230107-004008~2.png
    701.8 KB · Views: 60
Finally the beauty Yamaha RX-V4A has arrived. A friend brought this for me from Tokyo, Japan.

A vendor who suppies step down transformers to my office, should provide a 500 Watt, 220V to 100V transformer at reasonable cost.

I am planning to upp my budget on front L/R speakers and get a floor stander. Budget Rs 1 lakh. I read good things about Wharfdale Diamond 12.4 (learnt 12.3 is award winner). A dealer has offered them for Rs 99,500. Is this cost good? My living room is rectangular 20feet x 13 feet. The sitting area which will used for watching movies would be 10 feet by 13 feet. One side is large french window, other side is open/dining space.

Few reviews on hifimart and Andrew Robinson indicate, I may not need a subwoofer with these towers Wharfdale Diamond 12.4. Please advise if I am wrong.

Minimum impedance for all speakers is rated at 6 ohm for Yamaha RX-V4A. Wharfdale Diamond is rated at 8 ohm nominal impedance and 5 ohm minimum. Technician at Wharfdale dealership confirmed Yamaha-RX-V4A would not have trouble driving them. Please advise if I am wrong.

I have a full HD projector currently projecting on one of the living room walls. I have old intex tower speakers which I use rarely. I have set them as front L/R 2 days ago. I did not expect much but the dialogue intelligibility is surprisingly very good.

I had auditioned Dali speaker setup at one of dealers. Dialogues coming from center channel Oberon vokal was clear (can't say punchy) but it felt unnatural to me. It seemed to come from a box rather than from entire front.
With my crappy intex towers as front L/R I like the dialogues more. With this experience I am also inclined to think than I would not go for a center channel speaker. Instead I would pump up the budget for front L and R.
Would highly suggest you audition before you purchase, blind purchases especially with hifi are lottery and you might end up in a buy sell upgrade mode quickly.
I would suggest you pay attention to the following parameters as well 1) Sensitivity of the speakers 2) THD of your avr aligned to the nominal impedance 3) Frequency range . Looking at the specs for RX-V4A, Yamaha have not published what are the THD values at 8 ohms, whereas for 6 ohms the THD ranges from 0.06% to 0.9% ( 80W to 115W), you would need to land your speaker continuous power in that range to ensure you don't underpower the speakers or blow them up if you accidentally go to full volume. I would suggest you try to audition popular nominal 6ohm speakers first like Q Acoustics 303x series, Elac Debut 2.0 and see if you like the sound signature. Try getting LCR from the same speaker family to ensure you don't spend too much time mucking around settings and keep things simple. I dont think low frequency FS or Bookshelf speakers can replace a sub-woofer, especially for movies you will terribly miss them and in the bargain you might end up getting low sensitivity speakers which have to be driven hard , physics comes in the way of getting high sensitivity, low frequency response and compact package - you cant get it all just as in life, somewhere you gotta compromise, So I would highly recommenced getting a sub-woofer even if you plan on phasing that purchase after you have 3.0 setup. Assume that you are going to set your crossover in AVR at 80Hz after you get your subwoofer so getting speakers which can do 40hz would become a waste. unless you are a music purist who would want to listen to stereo music without the sub-woofer often. I have just been in this hifi game for less than an year, so happy to let veterans in this group correct me.

Lastly, try to hunt around online by sending direct messages to portals or vendors before purchase, you would be surprised how much you can save by shooping around. Just shun impluse shopping, take it slowwww, do your research.

Firstly congrats on the purchase. Thats a good budget to start with. If possible share images of the listening space you intent to setup for HT, It'll be easier to offer our suggestions that way. Your preference is movies to music or the other way?

For music listening one can skip the sub depending upon the music one listens to or the speaker one has but for a HT a subwoofer is a must.

At normal listening levels it should be able to drive them but at loud levels the amplifier might have a hard time.

Alot depends on the placement of the speakers be it the L/R speakers or centre or even the surrounds. Placement brings about the biggest change according to me over purchase of newer and more expensive equipment. A centre speaker and subwoofer play a vital role in delivering the HT experience we imagine in our minds at the time of purchase.

Can a 2/2.1 channel setup be sufficient for movies? YES
Can it better than a well setup reasonably priced HT? NO

1673075802319.png
I donot intend to critise the above setup knowing it belongs to someone but using it to clarify a few things and answer a few questions. If it in anyway is against the rules, mods please take the necessary action. Thank you

What is not right in the above picture? I am sure to many people going for a demo/ making their first HT purchase this would look ideal. Neat looking, space well managed, organised.

For music listening one can skip the sub depending upon the music one listens to or the speaker one has but for a HT a subwoofer is a must.
That may not be entirely accurate though one can largely get away without a sub with capable enough speakers in a size appropriate room.

I run dual subwoofers with floorstanders and even with jagjit singh ghazals, i remember a certain FM exclaiming that the "mithaas" in his voice had lessened. 🙂
View attachment 74314
I donot intend to critise the above setup knowing it belongs to someone but using it to clarify a few things and answer a few questions. If it in anyway is against the rules, mods please take the necessary action. Thank you

What is not right in the above picture? I am sure to many people going for a demo/ making their first HT purchase this would look ideal. Neat looking, space well managed, organised.
Before anybody goes ahead and criticises the sub placement, one of the best experiences i had was from one setup in a similar manner. A flat straight line from 60hz down to 14hz from a 10 inch woofer. And the impact and feel was surreal to say the least.

That may not be entirely accurate though one can largely get away without a sub with capable enough speakers in a size appropriate room.

I run dual subwoofers with floorstanders and even with jagjit singh ghazals, i remember a certain FM exclaiming that the "mithaas" in his voice had lessened. 🙂
I didn't get what you are trying to say there. Correct me if I am wrong but I think what you said above is what I am saying but with regards to music.

Before anybody goes ahead and criticises the sub placement, one of the best experiences i had was from one setup in a similar manner. A flat straight line from 60hz down to 14hz from a 10 inch woofer. And the impact and feel was surreal to say the least.
What about the placement of the speakers and the centre?

I didn't get what you are trying to say there. Correct me if I am wrong but I think what you said above is what I am saying but with regards to music.
What I meant was that a sub can also add that last bit of oomph to music that one may traditionally perceive as not needing a sub such as ghazals by Jagjit Singh.

What I meant was that a sub can also add that last bit of oomph to music that one may traditionally perceive as not needing a sub such as ghazals by Jagjit Singh.
Thats a super duper like for you buddy, you nailed it there, I use two t5i's and even with towers I feel they add that magical balance to the entire sound not to mention added depth to the sound stage and an effortless feel, the music just seems to flow like free flowing water be it towers or bookshelves specially for me at lower listening levels.

Thats a super duper like for you buddy, you nailed it there, I use two t5i's and even with towers I feel they add that magical balance to the entire sound not to mention added depth to the sound stage and an effortless feel, the music just seems to flow like free flowing water be it towers or bookshelves specially for me at lower listening levels.
Dual T9i user here 🙂

Wow. What sub was that? 14 Hz to 60 Hz flat from a 10 incher is impressive.

Yamaha will drive wharfedale easily. I had RXV667 once paired with Diamond 9.5. Yamaha AVRs can handle short term 4ohm load which is stated in manual.
Dali oberon speakers has soft vocal texture.Dali zensor, opticon sounds clear.

Quick question: Can Yamaha RX-V4A drive these speakers -
Q acoustics 3030i, 3050i, 3090ci
Dali Oberon 3, Dali Oberon 1, Dali Oberon on-wall, Dali Oberon vokal
?

Minimum impedance for most of above speakers is 4 ohms whereas Yamah RX-V4A expects minimum imepdance to be 6 ohms (screen shot attached). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone using above mentioned speakers with Yamah RX-V4A?

I have started to think, I should have gone for an AVR which could drive 4 ohm speakers :(

I may try to convert a lead who can get Dali speakers for me from Germany where they seem to be cheaper than India (amazon Germany).

I had also spoken to a home automation consultant in person. He quoted Rs 60k per pair for Dali Oberon 3. But a dealer in Pune may offer a lower price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230109-214025.png
    Screenshot_20230109-214025.png
    253.7 KB · Views: 36
?

Minimum impedance for most of above speakers is 4 ohms whereas Yamah RX-V4A expects minimum imepdance to be 6 ohms (screen shot attached). Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have started to think, I should have gone for an AVR which could drive 4 ohm speakers :(

I may try to convert a lead who can get Dali speakers for me from Germany where they seem to be cheaper than India (amazon Germany).

I had also spoken to a home automation consultant in person. He quoted Rs 60k per pair for Dali Oberon 3. But a dealer in Pune may offer a lower price.
Should'nt have any problem with Q Acoustics, average impedance is 6 ohms , this is also known as nominal impedance. You only need to try to match the nominal impedance, not the minimal impedance.

?

Some UK sites are even selling bundles, which obviosuly would have been tested to work together, see below:

Hello FMs,

Thanks you for your comments.

I have attached pictures of my living room. My living room is the primary choice for the 5.1 home theater (a bedroom being secondary).

Some points to keep in mind (pictures of living room attached):
  • Living room size (wall to wall distances) - East wall to West wall 13.5 feet. North Wall to South Wall 20 feet. East wall is where I want to mount a 55 inch tv (Sony X7500H) but can mount on west wall also.
  • This is a rented flat so please suggest changes accordingly.
  • In future if I move to another flat chances are the living room/bedroom size will only get smaller as compared to this one.
  • Wife approval factor is high. She just wants me to get the system and stop watching/reading the reviews.
  • I want to purchase speakers (at least front L/R) keeping 10 years in mind. My earlier budget for front L and R was Rs 30,000 but now I have increased it to Rs 1 lakh for front L/R.
  • Yamaha RX-V4A would be fed with audio from Sony X7500H over ARC HDMI port (100% times for movies/series and 90% times for music from YouTube or Spotify)

My Priorities:

Movies:Music::50:50

Details and Bass

Kind of music I listen to:

Kind of movies/series I watch: I watch all kinds of movies and series on Netflix, Hotstar, Amazon prime. Eg: Once I have the front L/R I will watch Pushpa and Monica O my darling again.

I like bass while listening to music. Difficult to put in words but can say - My admiration for a music system with good bass is next level (for that kind of music). It needs to be detailed as well. For music I have liked Dali Oberon 3 and Zensor 1 in stereo.

In movies, I like bass which is room filling but does not give me headache. I am used to Sony 1000W HTIB which has 'boomy' bass. I have auditioned 4 home theater setups. Barring 1, rest according to me lacked bass. One living room setup had SVS 3000 micro which I found to be boomy like my Sony HTIB.

What I have done lately:
  • I have auditioned Q acoustics 3020i and some other speakers in stereo which I did not like. I liked Dali Zensor 1. Probably Dali is my brand.
  • Upon a FMs suggestion, I met Mr Mahendra Dave (Owner of Oceanic, Exhibition Road, Camp area, Pune http://oceanicsound.co.in/home.aspx). I must say he is a Guru in the HiFi area and one should meet him, have tea and discuss music and music system component technicalities with him. For reference My Dave suggested/offered me to audition these expensive speaker pair from Audio Solutions. The source was audio CD in a extremely well treated silent room. I can say the music was floating in the air but am happy to admit I should be content with the kind of music output from Dali Zensor 1 when driven with a Denon AVR in stereo played from Spotify free account.
  • I have purchased Maxine stepdown transformed (100V / 750W) for Yamaha RX-V4A brough from Tokyo, Japan. Am able to use the AVR with bluetooth headphones just for the sake of using it.

Ideal setup as per my wish: To setup HT in living room
  • Floor standing speakers for stereo and match rest of speakers in 5.0.
  • Single subwoofer such as SVS PB1000.
Example package in mind: Dali Oberon 5 or 7 as front L and R. Dali oberon vokal, Dali oberon 1s or some other pair as surrounds

Dilemma:
  1. I have learnt if I setup the 5.1 HT in my living room (which is 270 sqft and open on almost all sides), my appetite for bass may not be satisfied with one subwoofer such as SVS PB1000. For next 5 years I do not see myself getting more than 1 subwoofer purely due to the budget.
  2. If due to this limitation I have to shift the HT setup to bed room (10.5 feet x 13.5 feet not as open as living room), then floor standers would not be suitable. If I go ahead with bookshelf speakers, I would not get the kind of bass I desire in stereo.
  3. I want to feel free while listening to music (can move around in my living room). For movies I can sit at one place in my bedroom i.e. on the bed.
  4. I may compromise on surround effect and use zone A for stereo in living room and zone B i.e. 3.1 in bedroom or I can get a cheaper pair of bookshelf speakers later on for surround and physically switch speaker connections to AVR each time I want to watch movies (which an be last resort).
  5. As per specifications Dali Oberon vokal has a nominal impedance of 4 ohm. Center channel would be busy 90% of the times during movies. Yamah RX-V4A expects minimum impedance to be 6 ohm. Would this be a safe to run oberon vokal with RX-V4A? I auditioned a setup at AVXcellence, Dhole Patil Road, Pune in which Rx-V4A was driving oberon vokal.
  6. I found this bundle being sold by Peter Tyson UK which claims Dali Oberon Vokal can be driven by RX-V4A (screen-shot of my email query and answer attached)
  7. To audition more speakers such as Wharfedale Diamond 12.x series I would need to drive to Mumbai with my AVR which would cost me around Rs 5000 and lot of time. I have a little hesitation in doing that but that is in my list.
  8. If Dali Oberon Vokal's impedance is a major issue I can also use Dali oberon 1 or 3 as center channel (single piece can be bought in Germany, a friend can get that for me).

Attachments

• Response Peter tyson.jpg
    Response Peter tyson.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Enquiry Peter tyson.jpg
    Enquiry Peter tyson.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 16
  • LIVING ROOM NORTH WALL VIEW.jpg
    LIVING ROOM NORTH WALL VIEW.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 18
  • LIVING ROOM SOUTH WALL VIEW.jpg
    LIVING ROOM SOUTH WALL VIEW.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 17
  • LIVING ROOM WEST WALL VIEW.jpg
    LIVING ROOM WEST WALL VIEW.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 14
  • LIVING ROOM EAST WALL VIEW.jpg
    LIVING ROOM EAST WALL VIEW.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hello FMs,

Thanks you for your comments.

I have attached pictures of my living room. My living room is the primary choice for the 5.1 home theater (a bedroom being secondary).

Some points to keep in mind (pictures of living room attached):
  • Living room size (wall to wall distances) - East wall to West wall 13.5 feet. North Wall to South Wall 20 feet. East wall is where I want to mount a 55 inch tv (Sony X7500H) but can mount on west wall also.
  • This is a rented flat so please suggest changes accordingly.
  • In future if I move to another flat chances are the living room/bedroom size will only get smaller as compared to this one.
  • Wife approval factor is high. She just wants me to get the system and stop watching/reading the reviews.
  • I want to purchase speakers (at least front L/R) keeping 10 years in mind. My earlier budget for front L and R was Rs 30,000 but now I have increased it to Rs 1 lakh for front L/R.
  • Yamaha RX-V4A would be fed with audio from Sony X7500H over ARC HDMI port (100% times for movies/series and 90% times for music from YouTube or Spotify)

My Priorities:

Movies:Music::50:50

Details and Bass

Kind of music I listen to:

Kind of movies/series I watch: I watch all kinds of movies and series on Netflix, Hotstar, Amazon prime. Eg: Once I have the front L/R I will watch Pushpa and Monica O my darling again.

I like bass while listening to music. Difficult to put in words but can say - My admiration for a music system with good bass is next level (for that kind of music). It needs to be detailed as well. For music I have liked Dali Oberon 3 and Zensor 1 in stereo.

In movies, I like bass which is room filling but does not give me headache. I am used to Sony 1000W HTIB which has 'boomy' bass. I have auditioned 4 home theater setups. Barring 1, rest according to me lacked bass. One living room setup had SVS 3000 micro which I found to be boomy like my Sony HTIB.

What I have done lately:
  • I have auditioned Q acoustics 3020i and some other speakers in stereo which I did not like. I liked Dali Zensor 1. Probably Dali is my brand.
  • Upon a FMs suggestion, I met Mr Mahendra Dave (Owner of Oceanic, Exhibition Road, Camp area, Pune http://oceanicsound.co.in/home.aspx). I must say he is a Guru in the HiFi area and one should meet him, have tea and discuss music and music system component technicalities with him. For reference My Dave suggested/offered me to audition these expensive speaker pair from Audio Solutions. The source was audio CD in a extremely well treated silent room. I can say the music was floating in the air but am happy to admit I should be content with the kind of music output from Dali Zensor 1 when driven with a Denon AVR in stereo played from Spotify free account.
  • I have purchased Maxine stepdown transformed (100V / 750W) for Yamaha RX-V4A brough from Tokyo, Japan. Am able to use the AVR with bluetooth headphones just for the sake of using it.

Ideal setup as per my wish: To setup HT in living room
  • Floor standing speakers for stereo and match rest of speakers in 5.0.
  • Single subwoofer such as SVS PB1000.
Example package in mind: Dali Oberon 5 or 7 as front L and R. Dali oberon vokal, Dali oberon 1s or some other pair as surrounds

Dilemma:
  1. I have learnt if I setup the 5.1 HT in my living room (which is 270 sqft and open on almost all sides), my appetite for bass may not be satisfied with one subwoofer such as SVS PB1000. For next 5 years I do not see myself getting more than 1 subwoofer purely due to the budget.
  2. If due to this limitation I have to shift the HT setup to bed room (10.5 feet x 13.5 feet not as open as living room), then floor standers would not be suitable. If I go ahead with bookshelf speakers, I would not get the kind of bass I desire in stereo.
  3. I want to feel free while listening to music (can move around in my living room). For movies I can sit at one place in my bedroom i.e. on the bed.
  4. I may compromise on surround effect and use zone A for stereo in living room and zone B i.e. 3.1 in bedroom or I can get a cheaper pair of bookshelf speakers later on for surround and physically switch speaker connections to AVR each time I want to watch movies (which an be last resort).
  5. As per specifications Dali Oberon vokal has a nominal impedance of 4 ohm. Center channel would be busy 90% of the times during movies. Yamah RX-V4A expects minimum impedance to be 6 ohm. Would this be a safe to run oberon vokal with RX-V4A? I auditioned a setup at AVXcellence, Dhole Patil Road, Pune in which Rx-V4A was driving oberon vokal.
  6. I found this bundle being sold by Peter Tyson UK which claims Dali Oberon Vokal can be driven by RX-V4A (screen-shot of my email query and answer attached)
  7. To audition more speakers such as Wharfedale Diamond 12.x series I would need to drive to Mumbai with my AVR which would cost me around Rs 5000 and lot of time. I have a little hesitation in doing that but that is in my list.
  8. If Dali Oberon Vokal's impedance is a major issue I can also use Dali oberon 1 or 3 as center channel (single piece can be bought in Germany, a friend can get that for me).

Hi,

Bookshelf speakers make sense and these need to be paired to a good ported subwoofer given you have open spaces on the sides. Mounting of these bookshelf speakers should not be more than 5-6 feet from the Ground, should be ideally at ear level listening.

Most brands have hiked up prices almost 2/3 times and best route now would be pre owned. There are lots of good speakers listed over OLX being sold by individuals rather than dealers. Check those. While most ads maybe in Mumbai, ask the seller if there is an amp or avr available to test those speakers. You need not carry your AVR all the way.

There are also some subs / speakers available in classifieds section of this site, check those too.

You may be able to put together a decent speaker system which will suit your needs for at least 3-5 years until the upgrade bug bites you!

All the best!

Added a pair of Dali Zensor 1 as front L/R for now. They sound good but seem power hungry.

20230318_234722.jpg

Attachments

• 20230318_234745_HDR.jpg
    20230318_234745_HDR.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 16
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back