Looking to purchase speakers for under 20k

ankitm

Hi, am new to the forum and have been browsing lot of posts. Learning a lot about sound equipment's & am looking to purchase speakers for a budget of max. Rs. 20,000.

Purpose:
Small house parties for about 20 persons.
Listen to EDM, House and Bollywood mostly.

Speaker feature requirements:
Bluetooth is a must
Compact system preferable
Will be great if it connects to my LG Smart TV wirelessly

Speakers that I looked into (online only, not heard them):
LG OM4560 (i like it since its compact for my small home)
Harman Kardon Soundsticks 3
Harman Kardon Nova

Please let me know your suggestions. It does not have to be any of the above I listed. Am open to options and suggestions.

Thanks a lot for your time in reading through this post.

HI
I have Harman-kardon soundstic 3 and it is almost three years. Looks fancy with its Gloss dome woofer and tiny Glass tube like speakers. Great built. Simple 3 piece set up and you have done.

With regard to sound, it is really great for a room of 20' x 20' size and it can fill and shake. The quality of sound is super clear and dynamic. You can't expect the detailing like in Bookshelves/Floor Standards.

The cons, which is very important to note:
In my experience, the woofer sound is not natural and tight. It will just add booming effect(May be, my placement is wrong)

There is no remote to control the functions

The sound buttons are little and filmsy. You cant figure out at what sound level when you are switching on!. It is feather touch two separate buttons for high and low. Practically it is in wrong place and useless, unless the speakers are always within the reach of your hand.

There is no 'on-off' switch. Once you plug it in wall, the speakers will switch on, so you need to be careful about sound level before switching on(On the contrary, you can not figure out sound level before switching on, connect the device and play the audio !!!). The woofer sound control is placed in the back side and not easy to reach.

Overall, it is best as hi-fi Desktop PC speakers, and not so convenient to use as home audio system due to lack of proper controls.

Now, the right speaker is less sound compared to left. I could not able to get it repaired as I am worried, it may spoil the Fibre glass covers. Since I am using it as PC speakers, I just adjusted the sound balance through PC.

I do not have experience with other two makes.

Hi, am new to the forum and have been browsing lot of posts. Learning a lot about sound equipment's & am looking to purchase speakers for a budget of max. Rs. 20,000.

Purpose:

Bluetooth is a must

Harman Kardon Nova

Please let me know your suggestions. It does not have to be any of the above I listed. Am open to options and suggestions.

Are you looking for powered speakers? Or do you already have an amp?

Purpose:

Bluetooth is a must

Harman Kardon Nova

Mackie CRBT4 or CRBT5, check some youtube reviews.

HI
I have Harman-kardon soundstic 3 and it is almost three years. Looks fancy with its Gloss dome woofer and tiny Glass tube like speakers. Great built. Simple 3 piece set up and you have done.

With regard to sound, it is really great for a room of 20' x 20' size and it can fill and shake. The quality of sound is super clear and dynamic. You can't expect the detailing like in Bookshelves/Floor Standards.

The cons, which is very important to note:
In my experience, the woofer sound is not natural and tight. It will just add booming effect(May be, my placement is wrong)

There is no remote to control the functions

The sound buttons are little and filmsy. You cant figure out at what sound level when you are switching on!. It is feather touch two separate buttons for high and low. Practically it is in wrong place and useless, unless the speakers are always within the reach of your hand.

There is no 'on-off' switch. Once you plug it in wall, the speakers will switch on, so you need to be careful about sound level before switching on(On the contrary, you can not figure out sound level before switching on, connect the device and play the audio !!!). The woofer sound control is placed in the back side and not easy to reach.

Overall, it is best as hi-fi Desktop PC speakers, and not so convenient to use as home audio system due to lack of proper controls.

Now, the right speaker is less sound compared to left. I could not able to get it repaired as I am worried, it may spoil the Fibre glass covers. Since I am using it as PC speakers, I just adjusted the sound balance through PC.

I do not have experience with other two makes.

Thank you for your response and brief review about these speakers. I like the way they look but the only thing taking me back from this is that I would prefer a all in one kind of a speaker for space constraints. However, I will go to the Harman showroom here and listen to them if I happen to shortlist this one after I receive some suggestions here.

Go for Wharfedale Diamond 220. Available in Hifimart.com. Recently purchased this and excellent for under 20k

Thanks for your suggestions. These seem to be a great set of bookshelf speakers however I am looking at powered monitors or speakers. I do not want to purchase an amp.

Mackie CRBT4 or CRBT5, check some youtube reviews.

Thanks for your suggestion. Have you heard any of these speakers before? CRBT4 fits just within my budget and seems as per my requirements. Just one thing I have read in some reviews after much research that these have problems with heating and sometimes turn off for about 30 minutes because of heating. Me being in Kolkata, temperature does go as high as 45 degrees Celsius makes me worried. Any idea about this?

Please Note:

I just learnt that Google Chromecast Audio is out which can stream music to any speakers (hopefully). So Bluetooth is not a must feature requirement now. Open to more options. Will be buying speakers end of September.

Edit: How about Thonet and Vander Kugel Speakers? Is this an active speaker? Little over my budget but manageable. Leaning towards it.

Last edited:
@Jayaraa For some reason I am not being able to quote you, as u will see above couple of posts what had happened when I did.

Anyways, Sony is little too pricey for me. LG is slightly over but I might look at it. I am considering its younger sibling though, OM4560. Any idea about how it does?

Last edited:
@Jayaraa For some reason I am not being able to quote you, as u will see above couple of posts what had happened when I did.

Anyways, Sony is little too pricey for me. LG is slightly over but I might look at it. I am considering its younger sibling though, OM4560. Any idea about how it does?

2 things go in favor of OM5540, horn loaded tweeter & 8 inch woofer. It will cover larger area with more punch and spl than the OM4560, which is ideally for smaller room. Keeping in mind your requirement and music played, I suggested + I heard both and gave opinion based on that. Why don't you go and check them out yourself, then your decision will be easier. To spend and get something to your requirements is what make sense, but over to you now.

Good luck

2 things go in favor of OM5540, horn loaded tweeter & 8 inch woofer. It will cover larger area with more punch and spl than the OM4560, which is ideally for smaller room. Keeping in mind your requirement and music played, I suggested + I heard both and gave opinion based on that. Why don't you go and check them out yourself, then your decision will be easier. To spend and get something to your requirements is what make sense, but over to you now.

Good luck

Hey thanks again for a quick reply.. i will go n check both of them for sure.. pretty excited to get a decent set of speakers.. btw my living room area is 10 ft by 12 ft.. this is the coverage area am looking at..

Additionally, I think OM5540 will be good for rooftop party too with more booming sound..

Thanks for your suggestion. Have you heard any of these speakers before? CRBT4 fits just within my budget and seems as per my requirements. Just one thing I have read in some reviews after much research that these have problems with heating and sometimes turn off for about 30 minutes because of heating. Me being in Kolkata, temperature does go as high as 45 degrees Celsius makes me worried. Any idea about this?

Well i have not heard about these issues, but i have heard CR4, and it's best value for money.

Guys any idea about how is thonet and vander kugel? About 24k but might consider if huge difference between kugel n kurbis variants?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back