Looking to upgrade LR speakers for Yamaha 3072

Hope everyone is doing well.

Currently based in Mumbai and been using the Yamaha 3072 Htib for a year now (room size approx 12 ft by 12 ft). Splitting usage between gaming, movies and music with PS4, Blu-Rays/Online streaming and Spotify as respective sources.

I understand that my AVR is fairly entry level but still hoping for a substantial step up from the original, satellite speakers which came with the box.

So, had a few questions for the experts here:

1) how big will the quality difference be when switching from the default htib satellites vs standalone bookshelfs?

2) Will the 3072 power ratings (70w/channel, 6 ohms from what I understand) be able to drive decent bookshelf speakers and make it worth the new investment and the quality difference from point no. 1 stated above?

3) If the above 2 are true, then looking for some help on the top 2-3 speaker options (bookshelfs mostly) in the price range of 18-22k. Shortlisted options are Wharfedale 220s, Q Acoustics 3020i, Yamaha NS333 but open to other recommendations.

4) Will I need to consider specific factors for the above if I end up upgrading the center channel a little later.

Thanks so much in advance! Excited to hear back from the experts.

Since it is rated at 70wpc, 6 ohms for 2 ch drive, adding a center ch will probably pull down the output to around 40wpc each for left, center, and right.
Go for QAcoustics 3020i and matching center since they have very good reviews.

If you have plans on building a home theater, but on a budget, go for an entry-level or used AVR by the end of this year.

1) how big will the quality difference be when switching from the default htib satellites vs standalone bookshelfs?

Significant upgrade, IMO..

2) Will the 3072 power ratings (70w/channel, 6 ohms from what I understand) be able to drive decent bookshelf speakers and make it worth the new investment and the quality difference from point no. 1 stated above?

Given that your room isn't too large, it should just be fine if you don't play too loud..

Usually the HTIB's full range satellite speakers are less efficient.. In your HTIB, it is 83, 84dB.. Most probably when you pick the new speakers, it would be >=89dB, which is more efficient than your HTIB speakers..

3) If the above 2 are true, then looking for some help on the top 2-3 speaker options (bookshelfs mostly) in the price range of 18-22k. Shortlisted options are Wharfedale 220s, Q Acoustics 3020i, Yamaha NS333 but open to other recommendations.

4) Will I need to consider specific factors for the above if I end up upgrading the center channel a little later.

I didn't see you mention abt subwoofer upgrade.. This will be your biggest upgrade for handling low freq..

I would suggest to consider adding a sub to your set-up first and then upgrading speakers individually or as a 5.0 package whichever you prefer / works for you..

Currently based in Mumbai and been using the Yamaha 3072 Htib for a year now (room size approx 12 ft by 12 ft). Splitting usage between gaming, movies and music with PS4, Blu-Rays/Online streaming and Spotify as respective sources.

I understand that my AVR is fairly entry level but still hoping for a substantial step up from the original, satellite speakers which came with the box.

If you are able to audition the shortlisted models...it would be nice......compare the specs, read reviews...see some Youtube videos to get a fair idea if audition is not possible.

Bookshelf speakers will give decent mid bass than satellites........if you want a good output / playback....look for speakers which have higher sensitivity levels 88db or more......

All the best

Significant upgrade, IMO..

Given that your room isn't too large, it should just be fine if you don't play too loud..

Usually the HTIB's full range satellite speakers are less efficient.. In your HTIB, it is 83, 84dB.. Most probably when you pick the new speakers, it would be >=89dB, which is more efficient than your HTIB speakers..

I didn't see you mention abt subwoofer upgrade.. This will be your biggest upgrade for handling low freq..

I would suggest to consider adding a sub to your set-up first and then upgrading speakers individually or as a 5.0 package whichever you prefer / works for you..

Thanks so much for the info.
The 3072 actually does have an active subwoofer and personally seems fine for my usage at this point.

Could anyone confirm if my speaker shortlists are compatible with my avr? Am I missing any other major recommended option in this price range and also compatible with the 3072?

Not sure on the pricing....you can also check on Dali Zensor series (if available) or Specktor....also look at Polk Rti A1 or A3 series.....

Dalis are known to pack a good punch.....Polk Rti series is known for a good playback balance for music and movies....I used a pair for almost 8 months....(I tend to have a habit of experimenting on different brands and models ...just to get an experience).

If you are looking to strictly follow your own listing.....then I would consider between the Yamaha NS333 and the QAcoustics 3020i

(I tend to have a habit of experimenting on different brands and models ...just to get an experience).
Sorry for OT
Any idea on System Audio Saxo 1 passive bookshelf speakers? I checked on google but didn't find any good reviews on them. Its a Danish company and not much sales in India too. A kind gentleman was selling his bookshelves at a good price and I was confused whether to get them or not

Not sure on the pricing....you can also check on Dali Zensor series (if available) or Specktor....also look at Polk Rti A1 or A3 series.....

Dalis are known to pack a good punch.....Polk Rti series is known for a good playback balance for music and movies....I used a pair for almost 8 months....(I tend to have a habit of experimenting on different brands and models ...just to get an experience).

If you are looking to strictly follow your own listing.....then I would consider between the Yamaha NS333 and the QAcoustics 3020i

Thanks so much for the inputs. Had a couple of follow up questions:

1) For any of the bookshelves mentioned, do I definitely need dedicated stands or can I manage by just placing them on my existing, standard tv cabinet. If stands are required, then any affordable brands which could be compatible with the qacoustics? Not sure if I’d want to spend on the original stands offered by them.

2) Does the after sales/warranty situation for certain niche brands like QAcoustics (one distributor in mumbai) act as a purchase factor? A bit confused about where to purchase from, given limited options.

3) Still not able to make my mind on any of the above speakers because I’m doubtful of my avr. Tried searching for Yamaha 3072 paired with any of the above but couldn’t find anything.

thanks in advance!

Thanks so much for the inputs. Had a couple of follow up questions:

1) For any of the bookshelves mentioned, do I definitely need dedicated stands or can I manage by just placing them on my existing, standard tv cabinet. If stands are required, then any affordable brands which could be compatible with the qacoustics? Not sure if I’d want to spend on the original stands offered by them.

There is no hard and fast rule to have dedicated stands...most of us place the speakers at existing Standard TV cabinet. Most speakers come with rubber feet at the bottom (in the form of sticker) which will help ensure the speaker is firm on the cabinet.

2) Does the after sales/warranty situation for certain niche brands like QAcoustics (one distributor in mumbai) act as a purchase factor? A bit confused about where to purchase from, given limited options.

As long as the seller is an authorised dealer for the brand and is providing a warranty card or gst bill ...both are recognised by the Service center then you are good. You can always before purchase reach out to the customer care / support team of the brand to check if the seller is authorised and if warranty will be valid through online purchase......do this as there are many who sell cheaper online and then there are challenges for service or warranty.....

3) Still not able to make my mind on any of the above speakers because I’m doubtful of my avr. Tried searching for Yamaha 3072 paired with any of the above but couldn’t find anything.

If you are a bit skeptical on the investment and whether it will pay off in proper playback...suggest then you get the Yamaha bookshelf speakers which will pair well as per specs and definitely sound much more better n refined than the original speakers that came along with the AVR. Yamaha with Yamaha will not go wrong for sure!

You already have an active subwoofer to take care of the low frequencies. You can read reviews or first hand information in the Yamaha Owners thread... https://www.hifivision.com/threads/yamaha-avr-owners-thread.21982/

Browse through the pages as the thread is loaded with information which can be useful for you in decision making or tweaking your own AVR for optimal use.

All the best!

So, I’m finally narrowing down on the QAcoustics 3020i. Getting a good deal on audiomaxx. Just wanted to check about the warranty, bill and Indian voltage system compatibility. First time buying this online and so wanted to know everyone’s input on this.

Thanks so much for all the replies till now. This is a fantastic community of people genuinely helping each other and can’t wait to continue learning. Cheers!

So, I’m finally narrowing down on the QAcoustics 3020i. Getting a good deal on audiomaxx. Just wanted to check about the warranty, bill and Indian voltage system compatibility. First time buying this online and so wanted to know everyone’s input on this.

Thanks so much for all the replies till now. This is a fantastic community of people genuinely helping each other and can’t wait to continue learning. Cheers!

Could anyone help me with this please.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back