Looking to upgrade my current speakers

Manoj Kumar

Dear fellow members, I am planning to upgrade my current front and center speaker setup consisting of the Taga Harmony TAV-606SE speaker package located in a room of 150 sq. ft size. These speakers are paired with Taga Harmony platinum SW-10 V.2 subwoofer and Polk OWM3 for Atmos speakers which are powered by Denon AVR-2300W receiver. My plan is to change the center and front towers first and later to change the surround speakers. Now I am really looking into adding some audiophile-grade speakers which at the same time should not burn my wallet. I have gone through many reviews and found that Dali Oberon 1 and Q acoustics 3030i are the best audiophile-grade bookshelves offered on a budget that I can use to replace my Taga Towers. I need your suggestion and expert opinion related to these two speakers or else any worthy compatible alternatives which will be suitable for my requirement. Thank you.

Dear fellow members, I am planning to upgrade my current front and center speaker setup consisting of the Taga Harmony TAV-606SE speaker package located in a room of 150 sq. ft size. These speakers are paired with Taga Harmony platinum SW-10 V.2 subwoofer and Polk OWM3 for Atmos speakers which are powered by Denon AVR-2300W receiver. My plan is to change the center and front towers first and later to change the surround speakers. Now I am really looking into adding some audiophile-grade speakers which at the same time should not burn my wallet. I have gone through many reviews and found that Dali Oberon 1 and Q acoustics 3030i are the best audiophile-grade bookshelves offered on a budget that I can use to replace my Taga Towers. I need your suggestion and expert opinion related to these two speakers or else any worthy compatible alternatives which will be suitable for my requirement. Thank you.
@Manoj Kumar please help us with more information like the AVR being used, why you want to move from Towers to BS and what's missing in your current setup

Hi Manoj, I had the Dali Oberon 1 for a week but had to return them as I found them to be quite bright and wasn't able to enjoy the music due to fatigue and headaches. The vocals, although quite enjoyable, are very dominating, sometimes at the expense of everything else. I read that 3030i is bright as well. Eventually I went with PSB Alpha P5 and I'm quite happy with them as I wanted something neutral sounding. I'm using it with my Marantz Amplifier. If you want a bit more excitement, I heard good things about the Elac Debut and Wharfedale Diamond 11/12 series. Here's a review of the P5 incase you are interested:
Hope this helps. Good luck!

@Pratyush J The Denon AVR-2300W is powering my speakers. Due to the lack of liveliness and fun in my speakers, I like to upgrade to some good audiophile speakers. Though I like the tower speakers, I have a feeling of not utilizing their true potential. For home theatre setup it is always recommended to set them as small speakers with a crossover of 80 Hz. Also, good quality towers cost almost double that of bookshelf speakers. For example, I have shortlisted liked Dali Oberon 5 and Q acoustics 3050i which cost double the price of their respective bookshelf speakers such as Oberon 1 and 3030i. Another thing I like to mention here is that for the time being I am planning to replace my Front and center speakers. In the future, I can add towers of the same line-up and use the front bookshelves as the surround speakers by this way it will complete the whole setup with better quality speakers.

As you are in Chennai, there are more than 10 showrooms where you can get an audition and decide. You can add brands like Elac, Wharfedele, MJ Acoustics and quite a few more that you can audition here.
There could be some good clearance sale offers as well.

I am using Dali Oberon 1 in a 14ft L 11ftW and H. The Oberon1 will lack in bass owing to its small cabinet size & will definitely require a subwoofer as I too am using a sub with it.
The 3030i will be more on par with Oberon3. Elac will also be a good choice.

@Nitin K Elac debut 2.0 B6.2 are also good speakers and updated models of highly awarded B5.2 model but based on reviews i found they lack the bass as found in 3030i and Oberon3.

Speaker upgrade makes sense but how ever for a 150spft room if you are upgrading for the sake of more dynamics with the sound stage you may consider upgrading avr with pre-outs and add PA later on. Upgrading better speakers and not driving them to the full efficiency also results with the lack of liveliness you are expecting. Analyse properly and upgrade the right components in your chain

@Pratyush J The Denon AVR-2300W is powering my speakers. Due to the lack of liveliness and fun in my speakers, I like to upgrade to some good audiophile speakers. Though I like the tower speakers, I have a feeling of not utilizing their true potential. For home theatre setup it is always recommended to set them as small speakers with a crossover of 80 Hz. Also, good quality towers cost almost double that of bookshelf speakers. For example, I have shortlisted liked Dali Oberon 5 and Q acoustics 3050i which cost double the price of their respective bookshelf speakers such as Oberon 1 and 3030i. Another thing I like to mention here is that for the time being I am planning to replace my Front and center speakers. In the future, I can add towers of the same line-up and use the front bookshelves as the surround speakers by this way it will complete the whole setup with better quality speakers.
Since you already have a Sub, so you should not worry about the bass. Go for a BS and you can play around with the Sub's placement to achieve better blending. If upgrade is in your mind, I would suggest you to consider INDIQ seriously as they have a great upgrade policy. As mentioned by @Yogesh, there are many fans of INDIQ's diamond mishra on this forum

Hi.. something off topic.. u may reply in PM if you dont want to on this thread..

am looking to purchase the Polk OWM 3 speakers for atmos and want to mount it on ceiling (not false ceiling).. wanted to know how have you mounted them as I saw 1 of you older posts you were looking for mounting option as well then

@Nitin K Elac debut 2.0 B6.2 are also good speakers and updated models of highly awarded B5.2 model but based on reviews i found they lack the bass as found in 3030i and Oberon3.
I had heard Elac at KEI long back & not sure whether it was debut 6. It had ample bass. No need for a sub with them for music . They sounded nice & warm for my tastes.
Hi Manoj, I had the Dali Oberon 1 for a week but had to return them as I found them to be quite bright and wasn't able to enjoy the music due to fatigue and headaches. The vocals, although quite enjoyable, are very dominating, sometimes at the expense of everything else. I read that 3030i is bright as well. Eventually I went with PSB Alpha P5 and I'm quite happy with them as I wanted something neutral sounding. I'm using it with my Marantz Amplifier. If you want a bit more excitement, I heard good things about the Elac Debut and Wharfedale Diamond 11/12 series. Here's a review of the P5 incase you are interested:
Hope this helps. Good luck!
I have Oberon 1 & quite enjoy them. I too dislike bright speakers. But with Audyssey app you can alter the sound & make it sound warm or bright.

Last edited:
Hi.. something off topic.. u may reply in PM if you dont want to on this thread..

am looking to purchase the Polk OWM 3 speakers for atmos and want to mount it on ceiling (not false ceiling).. wanted to know how have you mounted them as I saw 1 of you older posts you were looking for mounting option as well then
I have used Safwe SM-03 Speaker Mount and mounted them in the concrete ceiling. These are of very good quality and sturdy metal mounts available in flipkart/amazon.

Even I have upgraded from Taga 606v3 to 3050i, 3010i and a 3090ci few months back. More than happy with the speakers and setup. Q acoustics sound nice slightly warm and pack good punch.

Route you will be going is a good one, get good bookshelves later move them to surrounds. But like @Love4sound suggested you also should look to upgrade the AVR to a powerful one. Specially when one is running more than 5 speakers the power on offer get drastically reduced, one way is to get a AVR with pre outs and get your front stage connected to power amps.

I have used Safwe SM-03 Speaker Mount and mounted them in the concrete ceiling. These are of very good quality and sturdy metal mounts available in flipkart/amazon.
These do look good on paper..

I think I will buy these as well.. but first need to find the Polk owm 3 speakers

I noticed we have a similar HT setup right now.. I have always thought of upgrading but then dropped the idea coz I feel this set is good enough for my room which is 110sq ft.. so didn't go with my urge.. but now I want to add Atmos to the setup

Hi Manoj,
If you are planning to buy bookshelf speakers do checkout Indiqaudio Diamond Mishra. You can contact Amit Sir he can suggest you well on what exactly should you upgrade to in his brand portfolio based on your requirements. They even tune and customize the speakers as per your needs.
I am not using one or have any affiliation with the company. Suggestions based on reading good reviews from the forum members.
There is a group buy coming up for Indiq audio in maybe 3 months if interested join there and we can get good benefit from Indiqaudio as they provide discounts on group buy.

Thank you all for providing me insightful suggestions and enhancing my knowledge related to upgradation of my current HT setup.

These do look good on paper..

I think I will buy these as well.. but first need to find the Polk owm 3 speakers

I noticed we have a similar HT setup right now.. I have always thought of upgrading but then dropped the idea coz I feel this set is good enough for my room which is 110sq ft.. so didn't go with my urge.. but now I want to add Atmos to the set
Hi ankitm,

I have purchased the Polk owm 3 speaker pair directly from the profx website. If you are interested you may check this site for availability.

Hi ankitm,

I have purchased the Polk owm 3 speaker pair directly from the profx website. If you are interested you may check this site for availability.
ProFX has a store in Kolkata. I called them, they said no stock and audition not possible for those. Stock will be coming in end of the month.

So since am using Taga 606se as well, wanting to know how is your experience with the Polk OWM 3before I make the purchase.

ProFX has a store in Kolkata. I called them, they said no stock and audition not possible for those. Stock will be coming in end of the month.

So since am using Taga 606se as well, wanting to know how is your experience with the Polk OWM 3before I make the purchase.
These speakers are satisfying my requirement and go well as atmos speakers.

Attachments

• IMG-4930.jpg
    IMG-4930.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 61
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back